Barely any WD after heavy use. Gabapentin + Venlafaxine

ExInMil

Bluelighter
Howdy everyone,
Havint been here in a long time but I feel like I gata report this.

Sooo, after heavy heroin use via insufalation, im talking 2 years on and off, decided to switch cities finally. Not so much decided, but the opportunity came up. Prepared for the worse.
Stocked up on:
Gabapentin 800mgs (A bunch)
Xanax .5s (a bunch)
Ambien (a bunch)
and ofcourse my antidepressants, that being venlafaxine (effexor) 225mgs/day

Day one sucked. Day two was up and atom.

Now im not complaining, but what the fuck....
I know that my single experience does not translate to a cure for opiate withdrawal cancer, but what the fuck.

I have read long ago that venlafaxine has had efficacy in opiate withdrawal. (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18344729)
The group in that trail was small but they found a strong efficacy.

If this is true, then everyone must know. I have been taking the venlafaxine for a long time, but the higher dose only the last 5-6 months. In the study they gave 300mgs/day close to my dosage.

Now between the gabapentin (which I have used in previous withdrawls but not the venlafaxine) and the venlafaxine I feel fine.

Has anyone else had a similar expereince?

Added: I also must think that the fact that I have been on the venlafaxine for a long time must add to the efficacy since SSRIs/SSNRIs take upto a month to "kick in". For in the study I believe the subjects were given the venlafxine on an immediate schedule as opposed to having been on it for the time required for the desired effects to come to fruition.

Full disclosure: I am not a doctor nor do I claim to know 100% what the fuck im talking about, but my claims are true.

Last edited:
I was on Venlafaxine for nearly 2 years, 150mg a day SR for depression, I;d tried numerous other ADs and whilst it had its side effects it got me through a difficult peroid.

I tapered the dose over a couple of weeks, the SR tablets only come on a couple of sizes and going onto IR seemed pointless. It has a reputation for being one of the worst to come off, I guess you may know that.

The brain zapping went on for 6-8 weeks and would often cause auditory distortions, they would come every 3-4 mins and I'd get the echo chamber effect a couple of times a day. It wasn't pleasant and seemed like it would never end but it did and I suspect my past drug use made me panic less about the auditory stuff although work was tough going.

Once the zapping started to stop it went quite quickly, I wanted off of the stuff and largely knew what to expect, I didnt have to take time off work and other then these effects I suffered little else.

I tried Gabapentin a while ago for nerve pain but it didnt suit me at all, I felt disorientated and my vision was badly affected so I ceased so I can't really comment, it;s always better to taper these drugs at least a little, they are widely used and rarely cause permanent problems.

I have read of Venlafaxine being used for Heroin addiction, I know it is chemically similar to Tramadol so I guess it hits those receptors a little.

I didnt feel any urge to take it whilst withdrawing, my doctor prescribed some beta blockers but I'm unsure of this is a standard treatment and I only took a few as I didnt feel any benefit. It truly was a case of just riding it out, the symptoms will subside but it may take several weeks, I know of no one who hast suffered the brain zaps to one extent or another.

I hope that helps a little

The problem with Venlafaxine is like any AD, changes your neuroplasticity, that's why it always gives headaches the first days or weeks; Venlafaxine acts even indirectly on opiate receptors, and it's a "powerful drug" in the antidepressants spectrum (is given specifically for Major Depressive Disorder, I was given it when I told my psychiatrist that I was thinking of killing myself all the time).
The side effects are annoying, but the boost the drug gives is very nice and CAN be abused; when I ended up with no more Venlafaxine (my dose right now is 150mg per day), I began taking 25mg Sertraline in the morning. For a week. Didn't experience ANY withdrawal. ANY. But I ate well, I did some exercise, and Gabapentin/Pregabalin also helped. It's NOT as difficult as people say, and I know what a real WD is because I am physically addicted to benzos and have seizures if I don't take at least a Diazepam per day, THAT sucks.