• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Baeocystin / 4-AcO-NMT

yoyoman

Bluelighter
I am curious about any info on the activity of baeocystin (4-phos.. -NMT). If the phosphoryloxy group most likely doesn't cross the BBB, probably 4-HO-NMT is the active alkaloid?

I have had an occasional, way different, usually more profound mushroom experiences that were somewhat, or one of them, *quite* different (much more DMT like visuals, incredible) - that one very different experience was experienced by all those that took the same batch of mushrooms (from some festival out of the area, brought back).

I don't know where I read about someone or some people long ago taking pure baeocystin and saying "its just like psilocybin" same dose etc.

.... but Shulgin says things like 4-HO-DiPT are like psilocin etc.

I'm curious about the possible activity of 4-AcO-NMT. The acetoxy group should get into the brain, but even if it didnt, when it degraded into 4-HO-NMT...

Really I don't think anyone recently has (at least reported..) separated the alkaloids and taken 4-PO/HO-NMT by itself before to really see. I'm curious as hell....

I'm going to do some research after i post this see if i can find anything, but if anyone knows any info, or can guess as to the activity of 4-AcO-NMT.. please comment!

Well about your festival, different species of Psilocybin containing mushrooms contain different rations of Psilocybin/ cin and Baeocystin as well as other trace chemicals like norbaeocystin, tryptamine and DMT. These differences can create different feelings and style trips depending on species.

About the Baeocystin, I have heard that its like Psilocybin but a little disphoric.
But really, how well can trips be classified anyway. Each one is a unique experience.

According to Ott, and others....Baeocystin is entheogenic at 10mg. No details at all with regard to the nature of the experience.

anyone else have a guess? even if no info. was available, how about those SAR experts out there? :)

bump - any "guess" just by the structure of 4-acetoxy-NMT as to activity? likely to get into the brain?

If its *likely* to be active (different types of mushrooms provide definite different trips for whatever reasons..) it would be interesting to have some of this stuff made...

after trying liberty caps for the first time (one of the highest (if not the highest) known baeocystin content) my interest in baeocystin was piqued again. the trip was the best mushroom trip i have ever experienced. john allen and jonathan ott both report activity of baeocystin, but all of the 4-HO-NMT reports say the chemical is totally inactive...does anyone have an answer to this question, or is it still a mystery? How can 4-H2PO4-NMT be active, but 4-HO-NMT be inactive?

^ I think the answer will always be the same until someone synthesizes these chemicals and test them each on their own in isolation.

Othertwise, the answer is that no trip will ever be like the others, such is the nature of psychedelics. The mere suggestions that different analogues may influence the overall feeling of a trip is alone enough to definitely alter a trip significantly.

ham- yeah i notice distinct differences between semillanceata and baeocystis and the rest of em. Psilocybe azurescens has often a very high concentration (.35%) of baeocystin, but because of the crazy high pilocybin/psilocin content it is harder for me to discriminate. Ott i can almost always trust.....john allen however, well.....eh....but yeah..:D NMT in theory aint gotta enough protection on the end, it gets chomped.....so logic would extend this the 4 hydroxy counterpart....and indeed, its phosphorylated friend should behave the same way. But, as always, there seem to be holes in the data. and holes in the logic too :D I'd agree, whether coincidence or not, the higher baeo content fungus consistently have provided me with better trips and semilanceata are still awlays my fav.

Last edited:
NMT in theory aint gotta enough protection on the end, it gets chomped.....so logic would extend this the 4 hydroxy counterpart....

I don't see the logic here. DMT is inactive orally, but when you add the 4-hydroxy group it becomes orally active.

I was surmising that even if you bulk up the 4 position the amine end is still way too vulnerable to enzymatic attack with just the one carbon? But i see how my logic is flawed

Last edited:
im actually astounded that such an elementary psychedelic question is still unanswered! not to say shulgins priorities aren't straight but how could he have neglected this? i would not be surprised at all if NMT is active given just plain ol' unsubbed tryptamine shows IV activity.

and what about the mysterious aeruginascin? another indole alkaloid found in a few other psilocybin containing species. I believe its structure hasnt been determined; just a tlc spot. NMT is around, all reports arguing against oral activity, but its in appreciable concrentrations in several plants. Unfortunately it is usually accompanied by NN DMT and such so crude seperation would be a little more difficult.

and oops a little more searching reveals aeruginascin the be the N'N'N'-trimethyl counterpart of the 4-phosphoryl... a quanternary amine, not crossing the bbb...

Last edited:
Bump
Does anyone know about this chemical? I’m sure somebody must have isolated it at some point or another