Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Bad trip aftermath. Trip report inside. Need tips

Pisuanakin

Greenlighter
Hello,

I'm 22 years old and in one week it will be 3 months since I had a drug induced panic attack. Never had anxiety issues (only normal ones that were simply overcame on the spot, for example: when I was first singing in front of a big audience) or any depression. I've been a happy lad. The only drug I've done is some weed on and off for one year. I don't drink alcohol and I don't smoke cigarettes.

Trip reports:

It was my 4th time tripping on DMT (mimosa hostilis + syrian rue MAOi). First two times I had no visuals, only some really nice meditative state with a calming effect and some beautiful revelations. The third time, I had 3 phases. First one was of pure love, where I got all the answers I sought and felt that divine embrace. In the second phase, I felt how I returned to my body. That's when the purge started. It wasn't nice, I was scared shitless, the puking was horrible, I even wanted to call an ambulance at some point, but I was still aware it was only the drug effect and this shall pass (at that moment my arguments didn't really calm me down, they just kept me from doing anything stupid). I was having visuals and my sensory information was funky. I entered in loops where I would get myself out of bed to puke, decide that I should go back to sleep because this will be over when I wake up and then get up again thinking that I shouldn't lay in bed so I won't puke and suffocate, followed by trying to drink some gulps of water and then spilling the drink on the floor amazed by how it would look and how it felt while drinking. I felt like that trip could have lasted forever.

Anyway, I managed to chill myself out, so the clouds started to lift and I got that "It's finally over, I'm back, I'm alive" high. I felt reborn, I spent the next few hours thinking about the trip, bathing in the joyousness of life, grateful for the difficult experience. It gave me the knowledge (but not the wisdom apparently) that fear is only an illusion, and I felt amazing. It felt like the fears of everyday life are insignificant to the fear I felt in that part of the trip. I didn't feel traumatized by the trip when I thought about it, the opposite, it gave me joy and calmness. The only thing that seemed off was me getting a bit nervous, like I was surrounded by some negative energy when I was getting back to the room I tripped. I didn't really want to sleep there again (but to be honest, it was just a room in my apartment that I rarely slept into). The next day I woke up full of life and energy. It felt like that for the next weeks till I wanted to trip again.

The PANIC ATTACK:

I was setting up for the 4th trip. I meditated for several hours before trip and I felt amazing that day, I was at peace with everything and everyone. For the first time I didn't respect the MAOi diet and I ate some soybean smoked pork soup 4 hours before the trip. I took the MAOi at T: 0:00 and the mimosa extract at T: 0:15. By T: 0:25 I felt something was a bit weird (probably because of MAOi + tyramine interraction), it was something mild, but of course, I started to freak out.

Basicly, I freaked myself out, thinking I didn't respect the plant and the experience well enough to diet that day and that I was gonna get punished for that. When I felt that panic, I didn't want to trip with that mindset so I instantly forced myself to puke at T: 0:30. I really felt that If I would trip with this mindset, the trip will only have that bad part that I felt that 3rd time. So when the distorted thoughts of that difficult experience from 3rd trip came into my mind on an anxious mindset, I started to freak out even more that if I don't wanna feel that shit now, I'm perfectly fine where I am in my life. I didn't want to lose the beautiful life I have. I probably felt really lucky to "survive" that difficult part of the 3rd trip and my mind convinced me that I might not be so lucky if I would trip again.

Anyway, I didn't trip, but I spent the next 4 hours really panicked that I won't trip, so I kept myself occupied. I was talking to my brother, watching a movie, playing some computer games, drank lots of water and ate an orange. After 4 hours the panic was mostly over, I was even laughing with a friend on facebook on some jokes. Went to watch some HBO (The hobbit was on, and I love those) and after T: 5:00, I ate some chocolate, 2 slices of pizza (I was pretty hungry from all the vomiting, you know?) and went to sleep.

The next day I woke up like I had no soul. I couldn't feel anything and I was constantly afraid of something. Everything felt like a bad dream, and I was yawning every few seconds. I couldn't even cry.

Symptoms that I had the next day:

Anxiety, depression, DP / DR, blurry vision, Mild tinnitus, couldn't focus, my memory was terrible, I was shaking a bit, I felt like I was going to die soon, I was yawning constantly, random pains, everything I had to do felt incredibly hard. I was constantly tired, I was sleeping a lot without resting, waking up many times per night. Also it felt like I had no emotions. I was zoning out a lot. The following weeks, I was laughing only because I was supposed to laugh in certain conditions, didn't get any happiness from laughing or emotion. I couldn't meditate anymore, I couldn't relax anymore. I thought I fucked myself up forever. When I tried to smoke weed after a week, it made me really anxious (I never had any anxiety from weed) and it simply didn't feel the same. Smoked for a few nights in a row to get some relief (it was still something, even though it wasn't the same) to get myself started on the recovery.

My recovery so far:

I moved back in with my parents, I explained them what happened and they were really understanding. I quit weed (more than 2 months ago). I started to wake up and go to sleep at the same hour every day. I started to eat meals at the same hours every day. I started exercising 30 mins / day. I have been eating lots of vegetables, fruits, avoiding sugar, drinking 2-3L water / day. I have been doing sauna 5 times / week. I was spending my days playing ping-pong, computer games, watching comedies, talking with my family and friends, trying to be mindful being there mostly. It took me almost one month to feel real joy for the first time again.

After 2 months the vision was back to normal, the memory was back, the tinnitus was still there (although it's so weak that I only notice it when I try to or when I'm anxious). I am no longer tired for no reason all day, I can finally sleep better, fall alseep faster, no longer waking up in the middle of the night. The DP / DR (world feeling like a dream) and depression (emotionaly numb) only come when I get anxious (although they are NOTHING compared to how it was the first 5-6 weeks). In the last 3 weeks I had ~24 hours (combined, since it comes and goes) where I felt the anxiety was creeping up on me. I can feel joy again on a daily basis now, I can actually laugh myself to tears now off and forget this difficult experience ever happened. I can feel music again, I can feel movies again, I can enter meditative states again and get myself that nice positive juju. I can relax again. When anxiety comes (it's not even close to how bad it was the first weeks)
The awesome part is that the good periods are better and longer with each week passing and the bad ones get shorter and less intense. Keep in mind that even though I feel good 90% of the day, that 10%, even though it's way less tormenting than how it used to be, it's still anxiety and it still acts like something would put salt on an open wound. It's also annoying when it happens, because if you manage to feel awesome the whole day, that anxiety puts you back into that old mindset for a bit.

TL;DR:

I freaked myself out before a trip even started (after ingesting the stuff), spent the next hours panicked as fuck (scared to death), afraid to trip because I reminded myself of a difficult part of an old trip (that was amazing anyway, but my mind convinced me of a different perspective and I didn't want to experience that again with a shit mindset). The next day I woke up fucked up, now I'm still recovering, although i am WAY better.

Can you guys tell me how long it usually takes to fully recover? Any fellow explorers that went through this life experience? What tips can you give me?

Thank you a lot for spending your time reading this wall of text. I've tried to describe everything as summary as possible. Peace my friends!

I got over it. Someone asked me for tips regarding my experience in a PM. I'm gonna leave this here in case anyone in the same situation will need some help. Thanks.

Abadaman said:
Hello,

Ive noticed your post about your bad experience with mhrb and rue and the issues you had after. Im in the same boat and need help. I dont know where to start, i was experimenting with acacia confusa root bark from ebay and syrian rue 6 month ago. I had around 7 ceremonies (which most of them felt kinda toxic), probably one or two a week, but during the last one something happenned. I woke up with terrible headache on left side of my head. To cut it short, i have tinnitus, high pitched noise in my head, many eye floaters, strings of floaters, hard thinking, dark thoughts, burning headaches on left side of my head, visual snow, lightheadness, nausea, i cant handle stressfull situations as before, i went to different drs, had MRi and ct scan of my brain, everything came back clear. The issues im experimenting trigger depression in me which sometimes lead to suicidal thoughts.

I..i just dont know what to do, every day is a fight where before this incident i enjoyed my life, felt almost blissful, now im in constant pain. Six months passed since that incident, there are days when i feel better, days when i feel worse, but overall the quality of my life went down big time compared to the state i was in before...if i had the chance to turn back time i wouldnt drink that again if i knew the risks and consequences im facing now, not even if someone gave me 500 000$...it just isnt fair, i drank those things because i wanted to become a better person, to inspire others, to feel the light and give the light and it ended like this...

How do you feel now? Is it better? I think we should talk as it seems we experienced something similar, maybe there is a way we can help each other and who to talk to if not someone who went through the same hell.

Sorry for my English, im not native speaker

With regards,

Peter

Hi man, sorry to hear this. I will start by telling you something that you won't believe right now (i know I didn't), but one day you'll see it for yourself and laugh about it. It will all pass and you will be a better man than before and you'll even feel better than you ever felt before. All with time.

I know you might feel like nobody can even imagine what you're feeling, and how fucked up everything that you're feeling is, but that's just normal.

You, most likely, had some bad parts in one of those trips that scared the shit out of you (or your subconscious in the last trip and what are you experiencing now is some temporary post-traumatic stress, which is completely normal (imagine if you've been in a car accident, or a loved one would've died, you would've felt like shit for some time, it's part of life).

This post-traumatic stress manifests itself by giving you a big pile of anxiety, which can last as long as it needs to last. You don't have depression, trust me. What might feel like a depression is your brain basically shutting down your feelings due to stress, it's part of the package.

You only have anxiety (I know you wanna slap me for saying 'only', but your brain over-dramatizes EVERYTHING) Luckily for you and me, this is temporary.

Now, you need two understand 4 things.

1) What anxiety is and how it manifests. Those are some of the symptoms:

calmclinic links (sorry, can't link them, I hope I didn't upset any admins with this)

/anxiety/not-schizophrenia
/anxiety/symptoms/disturbing-thoughts
/anxiety/symptoms/derealization
/anxiety/symptoms/depersonalization
/anxiety/signs/obsessive-thoughts
/anxiety/signs/irrational-thoughts
/anxiety/causes/serotonin-deficiency
/anxiety/stop-racing-thoughts
/anxiety/specific-thoughts-fears
/anxiety/signs/strange-thoughts

Derealization and depresonalization were the worst in my experience.

I also had tinnitus and floaters, both of them terrible in intensity, now I have to struggle to hear any ringing and my vision is back to normal. Pains, headaches, blurry vision, tunnel vision, no memory, no focus, suicidal thoughts etc. I only linked you the really bad ones. You can read about all this, and you'll understand. Basically, your brain thinks you're going to die, so it puts you in 'fight mode', your sensors are over active, you always had ringing in the years, but it was so tiny you couldn't even notice it, but since the body is in 'fight mode', that tiny unnoticeable ringing gets amplified. Same with sight, same with pain. It's just your body defense mechanism.

All those are symptoms of anxiety, they will all pass when anxiety will pass as well. This is the first part.

2) The second part is HOW you react to that anxiety. Imagine this. You cut yourself in some shattered glass, you have a wound that hurts a lot, you barely can walk, it's fucking horrible. What would you do in normal circumstances?

A) "OMG. This wound hurts like a motherfucker, this is so hard, I want it to stop, how do I make it stop, what should I do, what if I'm gonna die, what if my life will never be the same, I can't live like this, my life is over" and you just spend your days pinching the wound, trying to close it yourself, dedicating all your time to end that fucking suffering, trying to force it to heal by touching it every day, worrying non-stop in trying to find a magical solution to heal the wound.

or

B) "Yeah, I just cut my foot, blood everywhere, it hurts as hell. It sucks. Anyway, I know for sure that this will heal itself, no need to worry about it, I'll just go watch some TV".

Guess which one are you now? If you spend your days trying to close the wound, touching it every day, it will take ages to heal. Don't believe me? Go cut your finger and then use a toothpick to try to close the wound non-stop, daily, see how that works out.

I know it sucks. But you have NOTHING to worry about, time will heal everything, worrying will do you no good, and the only thing you need to do is continue with your life. I know you'll have no motivation, no satisfaction, no anything in the beginning and every day will be hard as fuck, but just do that, do your work, try to socialize, play games, try to be mindful of everything you do. Try not to zone out. Just embrace that anxiety. Embrace every emotion or feeling you have, let it be, even if it sucks in the beginning.

At the moment, you are most likely afraid of being afraid. Sounds stupid right? Don't worry, I understand how it feels. It's like being afraid that the foot cut wound will never heal. It's also like being afraid of feeling the pain, feeling the foot hurt. Think about it, when you were a kid, and you injured yourself while playing or whatever. While the wound was hurting, were you afraid of the pain? Or did you just embrace it, knowing it would heal, even though for the moment it sucks.

Just let it be. Accept it. Once you do that and you start focusing on other areas of your life, even if you don't feel like it, your mind will start to quiet itself and the feelings will slowly come back. You can't stop your mind, your thoughts or how you feel, but you can let it be. Without worrying all the time, the mind will quiet itself.

Don't run from the fear. Think about it. If you would've had fears of elevators, what would be the best way to conquer that fear? Spend your whole life taking the stairs? Or getting on that elevator even though you're scared as fuck? If you just get in that elevator and stay there to feel that shitty fear, do you think you're still gonna be afraid the 1000th time you'll be in that elevator? No, the fear will subside every time you decide to feel that fear while riding the elevator, till one day, your subconscious will realize 'Oh, there's actually no need for fear in this situation, off we go'.

3) Think about how this experience changed your view of the world. Truth is. Even if it feels like everything has changed, it hasn't. You're still the same person, and you're gonna come out of this even stronger (damn Oprah, stop). It's just the anxiety making you think the world has changed, but it's all the same man. You'll see.

4) To help with your anxiety, adopt a healthier lifestyle, even if you don't feel like it. Eat more veggies, have a good sleep schedule (7-10 hours, go to sleep and wake up at the same hour every day). Exercise daily, eat balanced meals, don't skip meals. Go socialize! Go pet a fucking mouse, do whatever you want to do, make a career, make money, get a degree, get a girlfriend, get new friends (even if you don't feel like it and even if you don't feel any satisfaction in the beginning). Don't smoke, avoid all drugs and alcohol for a while. Don't overmasturbate yourself (haha). If possible, try to spend as much time as possible in nature. And the most important of them all: Be mindful. Chop wood, carry water. If you are doing doing the dishes or cleaning the house for example, do those chores like the fate of the world depends on you. Play with those chores, observe, don't judge, be there, be present. It's only you and the dishes!

A book that will help you to stop worrying, accept and stop fearing the fear. I present you, with the most cliche name ever: The Worry Cure: Seven Steps to Stop Worry from Stopping You by Robert L. Leahy.

Also a nice helping video: The Mind - Alan Watts on youtube.

It took me 7 months to heal completely since the trip, but I started to heal after ~4-5 months when I learned how to accept. It will take as long as it's needed, don't worry about that.

You'll be fine. You're not the first one, not the last one who will go through this. Time heals every shit. Peace!

Hi man, sorry to hear this. I will start by telling you something that you won't believe right now (i know I didn't), but one day you'll see it for yourself and laugh about it. It will all pass and you will be a better man than before and you'll even feel better than you ever felt before. All with time.

Wow, it's almost as if, when utilized responsibly, psychedelics could have therapeutic benefits in some.

Perhaps those jungle shamans using Ayahuasca Peyote and Mushrooms 1000's of years had good reasons. (-:

I am glad your experience was beneficial to you.

Nice post, I never saw your original post but I'm glad you recovered. Sounds like you learned something too. Funny how sometimes the path to integrating a psychedelic experience can be long and arduous, but if you work at it, you can emerge better than before. It sounds like from the get-go you did all the right things. You focused on being healthy and bringing good things into your life. That's in fact one thing that psychedelics have really helped to teach me over the years. It's a good model for how to live your life for anyone to follow, drugs or no. Eat right, exercise, take care of yourself. Identify things in your life that are causing you pain or anxiety, and remove them. Identify things that make your life better, things you love doing, and do them. These things will help you to maintain a state of mind where you are open to the possibilities in life, and when you see them, follow them. Follow your heart and passions and do right to others. Try your best to keep a constant objective oversight over your emotions and thought patterns, so you can feel things before you act and decide from a place of objectivity how to act, and what to internalize from your experiences.

These are the things I have learned from psychedelics that I apply to my everyday life, and my life is a lot better for it. And they're relatively simple concepts that anyone can apply and work on. Over time you get better and better at them.

Anyway I just wanted to share that because I think it overlaps a lot with this thread. Anyone can take bad experience and turn them into something positive with time and effort.

Hello,

Thank you very much for bringing your and also mine experience forth, i havent recieved email notification and just noticed this topic by randomly browsing the web :).

it is year and around one month after my,incident,...to this day i dont know if i had suffered heart attack, stroke, orjust a massive panic attack, never experienced something like this, so much pain, hopelessness etc., that all spiraled to suicidal thoughts, i mean...its almost as a bad joke, my experience with ayahuasca (the native ingredients) ten years ago changed my life for the better completely and year ago some Taiwan plant with syrian mao inhibitory plant almost destroyed me totally.

I really dont know what to think because i had few experiences years ago with ayahuasca which were marvelous and life changing in a possitive way. Could it be that there are some unknown toxins inside the acacia confusa plant or syrian rue that we dont know of yet? the whole experience felt toxic and painful, it was scary and felt dangerous, my intuition was telling me the whole time that something is wrong that night, totally different from native ayahuasca, native ayahuasca feels cleansing, possitive most of the time and maternal, acacia and rue combo felt just...toxic, malevolent, dangerous. I also forgot to mention that i havent followed the maoi diet so maybe i truly suffered a serotonin syndrome (toxicity) and almost unknowingly killed myself. Many people write though that syrian rue inhibits mao-b (doesnt interact with tyramine), not mao-a (which is physically dangerous
if combined with tyramine rich foods), one will get into hypertensive crysis or could suffer a stroke, heart attack and die.

But anyway, i feel much better now, i dont have that bad nausea anymore (couldnt even drive a car without getting massive nausea and discomfort inside me, cloudy thinking (but still dont have as fast, rapid, precise and complex cognitive skills as before - this is by the way what i regret the most, my whole life revolves around my cognitive skills and this incident took its biggest toll this way), i also dont suffer that much from different kinds of joint, muscle pain from that night, and so on, guess time heals. I still suffer from shitload of eye floaters (have many strings, webs, white and black dots inside my vision), mild tinnitus inside the brain (yes, i feel the high frequency whining/buzzing inside my brain, not ears, weird), but not as high pitched as before, the pitch is lower now. I also sucesfully smoked weed and did 300ug of AL-LAD (prodrug to lsd) 4 days ago and my oh my, i feel happy, that sweet warm feeling inside my body again, i smile, i mean, the experience somehow again unlocked the beautiful neverending peaceful and joyful state of my being i was in before this ,trauma, hapenned to me. It helped me get through this past year, learn from it, accept the ,changes, and enjoy the present moment once again. I now again partially feel that life as it is, is pure magnificent magic that should be enjoyed no matter what. Certainly AL-LAD helped me get past all the burdens from that night which some of them lasted to this day, i am thinking of dropping lsd once per a month/three months therapeutically (or some prodrug of lsd, i feel that they are even safer than the original lsd-25 as i know what im buying and how much.)
Damn, these psychedelic tools are for sure no toys, they can open up celestial realms or make one suffer so much that even hell cant compare and some people unfortunately never come back out of it.

I have a feeling that there is something toxic and dangerous for the body (heart, brain, veins, nerves especially) in either Acacia Confusa or Syrian Rue, its just completely different (toxic, heavy, almost dangerous and unhealthy experience) compared to native ayahuasca, shrooms, lsd and their prodrugs which just felt fantastic, light, holy, divine, transformative,
welcoming and healthy to me, its like being reconnected with everything that is, while on acacia and rue it was the opposite (physical and mental wise). It also could be that the seller which is located in Taiwan sold me something that is not Acacia Confusa root bark (came shredded to totally small pieces which looked almost like powder with small particles in it), or there were some toxic pesticides, who knows, but i doubt it. The experience was so intense that it didnt matter if i had eyes opened or closed, it was the same fractal spinning cosmic circus that just went on and on combined with physical shaking, tremors, vomiting, crazy nausea, cold like ive never experienced before, racing heart which felt like i was suffering a heartattack and inner feeling of impending doom, feeling that something went totally wrong and that my life is in danger, you go to bed and next morning you wake up...different, not the same you as few hours before, with massive headaches, chest pain, with problems thinking and talking clearly. I dont wish something like this upon anyone... After all this i was almost sure that i had permanently f up my body and maybe i have, who knows, but i feel that with time it gets better, its just not worth it in the end.

Please stay safe and dont experiment with substances that havent been subject to serious scientific research, they could destroy ones life, for sure, which is of course not funny to anyone who experienced it. Its a shame i had to find out the hard way.

I just hope that these posts will help someone one day or decide whether to do this particular combo of syrian rue and acacia confusa or not. I wont touch this till the day i cease to exist in here, im quite sure of that. It could be also helpful if someone experienced (scientifically, with basic chemist skills) read this and write his opinion on my suspicion that either acacia confusa or rue contain harmful toxins, i bet its the acacia tho.

Sorry for my English, im not a native speaker buttried to do my best,

Thank you very much for the support and sharing of experiences/thoughts/ideas, i appreaciate it very much :),

With regards,

Peter

Last edited: