• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Back to smoking 20 years later and have some questions

AlabamaHammer

Greenlighter
Haven't smoked weed at all since my late teens early 20s and decided to hop back on the train for pain relief and entertainment.

This stuff I've been getting from my connect has an incredibly pungent ammonia almost catpiss like scent which secretes through 3 ziplok bags and gets me fried after 2 small bowls and I was wondering is it normal?

I don't remember the weed we used to smoke being this serious nor do I remember this incredibly unpleasant aroma but it Mos definitely gets the job done.

I'm in an illegal state so it's obviously not dispensary grade but it's insanely potent but my only concern is the smell.

Is this smell normal and have I just gotten weaker or is the weed just that strong now?

yeah I've had weed with a pronounced cat piss smell before. years ago, a grower I knew had some chronic going that absolutely reeked :D. if the high is good and it looks decent I wouldn't worry about it.

I too came back to cannabis after 30 years or so. I live in Canada where its legal and yeah shit is way more potent. I found that my tolerence went up pretty quick. I smoke daily though.

Ammonia - cat piss
is probably from improperly cured, commercially fertilized etc...

hello and welcome back to the world of weed, as for the strength that is normal to get you fried after 2 bowls if you have taken many years out, the THC concentration of the average bit of weed has increased significantly since you had last tried

Please tell us what were your favourite types of weed you tried in the past so we can guide you on what you should try

And this is only until 2011 lol it has increased constantly to present time.

There is a sense of harm reduction in high strength weed though, you smoke less therefore you smoke less plant matter

Something else to consider here is also that the CBD levels have changed a lot if you look at this chart the average weed's CBD content as a ratio to THC has dropped significantly on average , think of CBD as like the grounding anchor that stops you feeling uncomfortably high, perhaps experienced from some hash before? or just some low strength weed :

Last edited:
Haven't smoked weed at all since my late teens early 20s and decided to hop back on the train for pain relief and entertainment.

This stuff I've been getting from my connect has an incredibly pungent ammonia almost catpiss like scent which secretes through 3 ziplok bags and gets me fried after 2 small bowls and I was wondering is it normal?

I don't remember the weed we used to smoke being this serious nor do I remember this incredibly unpleasant aroma but it Mos definitely gets the job done.

I'm in an illegal state so it's obviously not dispensary grade but it's insanely potent but my only concern is the smell.

Is this smell normal and have I just gotten weaker or is the weed just that strong now?
It's that strong now. I bought some Polynesian Thin Mints from a very reputable dispensary a couple months back and yeah, the smell out of the bag made my nose hairs curl, and I've been smoking for 35+ year solid. No wonder though, the shit was pushing a 37% THC level.

I've been smoking weed more or less regularly since 1973.
Yes, it's gotten much stronger over the years.
Yes, it sometimes smells like ammonia, cat piss, skunk, etc....but NO, not all weed smells like that.
Right now I'm enjoying some bud that has a nice herbal aroma-- like a mix of pine and Italian seasonings. Yum! 😋