• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Baby chokes on marijuana filter; Parents charged with neglect, grievous bodily harm

Bluelight Crew
BRADENTON -- Two Bradenton parents have been charged with child neglect after their baby ingested a mesh filter used to smoke marijuana, damaging its throat, according to police.

James Dunlap, 24, changed the filter on Sunday morning when he was smoking marijuana from a pipe at his home in the 4500 block of 47th Street West, according to Bradenton police.

About 11 a.m., Megan Johnson, 24, gave the baby a bath and laid it on the couch to apply lotion. While on the couch, the baby ingested the used filter and “began to choke, cough and vomit in an attempt to dislodge the screen,” the arrest affidavits state.

Johnson noticed the baby was coughing up blood and took the child to the hospital.

“After speaking with the doctor who removed the object, I learned that had the screen turned only slightly more inside the baby’s throat, it could have resulted in a fatality,” the officer said in the report.

Neither the baby’s age nor gender is listed in the report.

Dunlap and Johnson were arrested Wednesday with child neglect with great bodily harm. They are being held at the Manatee County jail without bond.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/22/3300119/baby-chokes-on-parents-marijuana.html#storylink=cpy

I'm proud of my city's readers. Here are some of the comments posted to the article:

Pointless sensationalism... these parents wouldn't be charged with anything if the kid had swallowed a Lego. This was an unfortunate accident that thankfully came out okay. I see nothing in this story to indicate neglect on the part of the parents.

Correct Erik, this is merely an attempt to crush the upcoming Medical/Legal marijuana legislation in this state as well as among the nation by trying to hype up negative media. An unfortunate event for the baby, but it was not neglect or endangerment...Just the media with an agenda. Like always...

Perfect example of an abusive, overreaching government trying to make an example of these parents. This should be nothing more than a misdemeanor drug paraphernalia charge. This is the reason why some kids don't get taken to the emergency room when they have an accident.

Also, why are there so many 2-headed people on Facebook?

I'm proud of my city's readers. Here are some of the comments posted to the article:

Pointless sensationalism... these parents wouldn't be charged with anything if the kid had swallowed a Lego. This was an unfortunate accident that thankfully came out okay. I see nothing in this story to indicate neglect on the part of the parents.

I was about to say, "would this be a big deal if the kid choked on a beer tab or a bottle cap?"

Yeah, nice comments, numbers.
It is really a non-issue that has been politicized.

^ Yeah, where the parents don't smoke cannabis.
They may be on anti-depressants, or they may be alcoholics, or neo-nazis, but at least they won't smoke the evil weed that makes people laugh.

I think most agree that smoking weed is better than being a nazi; that's the epitome of evil.

^ Maybe, but you can't get your kids taken away from you for being a neo-nazi, whereas if your kid somehow gets hold of your weed, you might lose your kid.

^ Well that's just bullshit tbph.

I mean, white/red-lace skins are the fucking scum, but to take the child away?

^at least it provided these unforgettable quotes:

“He seemingly threatened more than one social worker personally with his power to assemble a sort of mob which would assist him in kidnapping the baby.

“He admitted making threats that he could muster 200 skinheads to act as his foot soldiers.’’

Wow. But that is from a strange foreign country, at least, and not the good ol' US of A.
But still.

^ to be fair, every skinhead (not SHARPs of course) have the fantasy that they can mobilize an army of their "brothers" at the drop of a hat.

Too much American History X and 88/14 bullshit propaganda.