• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Discussion Az law on felons with drugs and gun

Justadudeondrugs

Bluelighter
Hey Bluelighters .. does anyone know of a group where I could ask a legal / question on AZ law ?

I'll post the question here and if anyone kinda knowes the most likely outcome then that would would be be very helpful.

This is the little info that I know .
My neighbor is a felon that was locked up for ten years and unknown amount of time before that. I believe he was arrested for trying to rob someone at gun point but not positive on that part - fast forward- he's been out of jail I believe 8 years now but a few months ago he got pulled over and had a gun and a hundred fentanyl pills ..
So his girlfriend moved into his house to take care of the dogs and hold the place down but she's got a warrant so she can't go down to get power of attorney for his belongings .
She's not been able to reach his public defender but Im telling her I don't think he's gunna be out in a few months like he's telling her because ( here's the question ) isn't there a minimum mandatory if a felon is cought with a gun and wouldn't a large amount of narcotics make it aggravated ?
I think he's looking at five years or more .

I'm just trying to prepare her for what he's realistically facing .
Thank you for any Info

I don't know about Arizona but here in Orlando FL my sister's boyfriend got caught with a gun 5yrs after getting out of prison for armed robbery and he barely spent one day in jail. Infact he was caught on camera taunting /threatening somebody with the weapon. I think he got probation or something. I don't really talk to my sister so I don't know all the details.

I don't know about Arizona but here in Orlando FL my sister's boyfriend got caught with a gun 5yrs after getting out of prison for armed robbery and he barely spent one day in jail. Infact he was caught on camera taunting /threatening somebody with the weapon. I think he got probation or something. I don't really talk to my sister so I don't know all the details.
Holly shit ! That's nuts

One case doesn't mean that's the case all around. There are a ton of things that lead to charges for individuals. It's impossible to judge an entire system policy based on one person's experience.

Hey Bluelighters .. does anyone know of a group where I could ask a legal / question on AZ law ?

I'll post the question here and if anyone kinda knowes the most likely outcome then that would would be be very helpful.

This is the little info that I know .
My neighbor is a felon that was locked up for ten years and unknown amount of time before that. I believe he was arrested for trying to rob someone at gun point but not positive on that part - fast forward- he's been out of jail I believe 8 years now but a few months ago he got pulled over and had a gun and a hundred fentanyl pills ..
So his girlfriend moved into his house to take care of the dogs and hold the place down but she's got a warrant so she can't go down to get power of attorney for his belongings .
She's not been able to reach his public defender but Im telling her I don't think he's gunna be out in a few months like he's telling her because ( here's the question ) isn't there a minimum mandatory if a felon is cought with a gun and wouldn't a large amount of narcotics make it aggravated ?
I think he's looking at five years or more .

I'm just trying to prepare her for what he's realistically facing .
Thank you for any Info
I asked In the state of Arizona, is there a minimum, mandatory sentence for a felon caught with a gun?

Answer: Yes, there is a minimum, mandatory sentence for a felon caught with a gun in the state of Arizona. The offense is classified as a Class 4 felony, which carries a minimum sentence of 1.5 years in prison and a maximum sentence of 3 years. The mandatory minimum sentence is increased to 2.5 years if the felon has a prior conviction for a violent crime.
There are some exceptions to the mandatory minimum sentence. For example, if the felon can show that they had a valid reason for possessing the gun, such as self-defense, the judge may be able to reduce the sentence. However, the judge is not required to reduce the sentence, and the mandatory minimum will still apply in most cases.
The mandatory minimum sentence for felons in possession of a gun is a relatively recent development in Arizona law. It was first enacted in 2010, and it has been the subject of some controversy. Critics of the law argue that it is too harsh and that it disproportionately affects people of color. Supporters of the law argue that it is necessary to deter felons from possessing guns and to protect public safety.

(courtesy of ChatGPT)

One case doesn't mean that's the case all around. There are a ton of things that lead to charges for individuals. It's impossible to judge an entire system policy based on one person's experience.
Never said otherwise.... It was just an anecdote. Though this guy is a multiple, multiple time violent felon(10pgs of criminal history) who's sole job in life has been stalking and home invading to rob crack dealers well into the ripe old age of 45. I don't know how much more special the circumstances of his case would have to be after he was caught on tape threatening some little 19yr old kids about a third his size with the gun in the suburbs. Though my sister's paid out the ass for a lawyer and drug the case out for over 3yrs and through the pandemic.

Perhaps I'm a bit biased also because the guy assaulted me for little to no reason while out on bond. If you want my opinion he's a straight up violent thug that needs to be in prison so he'll stop beating on my sister but that's neither here nor there in reference to OP's situation though I do think it says a lot about our current criminal justice system. Let's just say he benefited greatly from the BLM riots.

Florida, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon is a second-degree felony, and it is punishable by up to 15 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000. There is a three-year minimum mandatory sentence for felons who were found in actual possession of a firearm.

The fire arm was found in the room he shares with my sister in the top drawer of a dresser with all men's clothes. It was registered to my sister but matched the gun in the video where he threatened the individuals according to police report.

I might also add that in Florida felons can't even have access to a gun in the home because it constitutes possession.

Last edited: