View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ayahuasca and medication interaction: gabapentin 300mg and trazodon 50mg

Pars101

Bluelighter
Hi, my cousin has quit opiates for around 2 weeks. His doctor gave him Gabapentin 300mg and Trazodone 50mg (he took these pills for about a week only). As he stopped taking them 6 days ago because he wanted to do ayahuasca tonight (and he was told those prescription drugs are dangerous with ayahuasca). I just want to make sure that taking ayahuasca tonight would 100% be safe for him? as I mentioned he has told me that he stopped taking Gabapentin and Trazodone around 6 days ago.

His ayahuasca brew is made from 6 grams of mimosa hostilis and 3/4 grams of syrian rue.

Also, 3 nights ago he took low doses of diazapam, xanax and clonazepam. His stuck to his ayahuasca diet in this time.

Thank you for your help!!! :)

Last edited:
MAOIs combined with Serotonin update inhibitors like Trazadon can lead to (posybly lethal) Serotonin Syndrom. Kick it of and rely on the Benzos for sleeping.

MAOIs combined with Serotonin update inhibitors like Trazadon can lead to (posybly lethal) Serotonin Syndrom. Kick it of and rely on the Benzos for sleeping.

He has stopped taking Trazodone for around 6 days, is that a long enough gap? so can he take ayahuasca because he has not taken Trazadon for 6 days now.

He has stopped taking Trazodone for around 6 days, is that a long enough gap? so can he take ayahuasca because he has not taken Trazadon for 6 days now.
If he experiences no "brain zaps" or other difficulties, he'll be fine, I guess, but don't quote me on that, I'm no medical doctor or pharmacist. Probably his effects will be a bit dimished, because of 5HT2A-Receptor-Downregulation, because of Trazdone being an SRI (besides other things). Also the benzos will dull his ayahuasca experience to some degree to, so better also reduce this to the bare minimum.

Last edited:
yeah Trazodone is definately a SRI and thus not to be combined with MAOI. it is also a 5HT-2A antagonist which could mean upregulation of said receptors which could even intensify the brew. I'd wait for a longer time before consuming ayahuasca.

btw, ungelesene_bettlektüre, I remember you from m.at (long time ago). what's up? :)