• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Avoiding Xanax dependence?

axn5445

Greenlighter
I am prescribed 0.5mg of alprazolam PRN for anxiety. I generally only take it for anxiety attacks but the last three days I have had a rough time and therefore have taken it each day (2x a day). I have no benzo tolerance and I've never abused them or been dependent on them.

How long and how much use would be necessary to invoke a withdrawal? A week? Month? How dangerous is infrequent use (few times a week)? I know it varies based on individuals but for the sake of safety I'd just like a general guideline of how to be careful with them and avoid a problem. I'm obviously not planning on abusing them.

Acute withdrawal maybe a few weeks, maybe less
Nasty rebound symptoms can happen after just a few days

Imo you should try to take it only once a week and try other coping techniques, like L-Theanine, hydroxyzine, meditation, therapy etc

even a couple days will give you rebound effects? at what dosages???? I always thought that it was safe to use like .5mg a day for like 2-3 days to get over the worst for opiate withdrawals to get some sleep, would 2-3 days in a row be enough to give rebound effects?

Last edited:
^depends, some people won't have rebound symptoms even after a week of high doses, while others experience rebound symptoms after just a few days

I took alprazolam for only three days not going above 1mg a day and had really bad rebound anxiety the next day.