• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Australian man arrested in the Philippines after he was 'caught selling "cookie monst

poledriver

Bluelighter
Australian man arrested in the Philippines after he was 'caught selling "cookie monst

Australian man arrested in the Philippines after he was 'caught selling "cookie monster" ecstasy' to undercover police - as new president promises death penalty for drug offenders

Australian Damian Berg arrested after he was allegedly selling ecstasy
Filipino police say he sold 50 'cookie monster' ecstasy tablets to an officer
He denied involvement in selling drugs, saying he had a 'good paying job'
But Mr Berg may face death penalty under new president Rodrigo Duterte
Leader wants to eradicate crime within six months by executing criminals

An Australian man accused of selling ecstasy in the Philippines may face the death penalty under the nation's hew government led by president-elect Rodrigo Duterte.
Police allege Damian John Berg, from Adelaide, and Canadian Jeremy Eaton have links to an extensive European drug importation ring and were arrested on Tuesday in a drug crackdown, the ABC reported.
The pair were allegedly selling ecstasy at the Close-up Forever Summer Concert in Manila where five people were believed to have died of overdoses last month.

They were arrested after a sting where an undercover police officer allegedly bought 120 'cookie monster' ecstasy tablets from Mr Eaton and another 50 from Mr Berg, according to local website ABS-CBN News.
Mr Berg has denied his involvement in selling drugs, saying: 'I have no purpose selling ecstasy. I have a good paying job.'
He also told the ABC: 'I noticed something else near the side table, so I flushed it down the toilet.

3589CDC600000578-3653668-image-a-3_1466572752795.jpg

The firebrand leader, who is known for his hard stance against criminals and vowed to end crime in six months, has said he would introduce the death penalty for drug offenders.
Mr Duterte has also encouraged the public to help him in his war against crime, urging citizens with guns to shoot and kill drug dealers who resist arrest and fight back in their neighbourhoods.
In a recent nationally televised speech, he told a huge crowd in the southern city of Davao that Filipinos who help him battle crime will be rewarded.

'Please feel free to call us, the police, or do it yourself if you have the gun - you have my support,' Mr Duterte said, warning of an extensive illegal drug trade that involves even the country's police.
'If a drug dealer resists arrest or refuses to be brought to a police station and threatens a citizen with a gun or a knife, you can kill him... Shoot him and I'll give you a medal.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-cookie-monster-ecstasy.html#ixzz4CLaRTPZv

Family stands behind Adelaide man facing drug charges in the Philippines

The father of a man arrested for allegedly selling ecstasy in the Phillipines, and who may be facing the death penalty, said the family have vowed to support him “as much as we can”.

Damian John Berg was arrested alongside a Canadian man, Jeremy Eaton, in Makati City in Manila on Monday night, after allegedly being caught selling ecstasy by police.

“Damian is in custody and is being treated okay. It’ll take time for his case to be heard, and as family, we will be supporting him as much we can,” Geoff Berg told 9NEWS.

The Philippines Lifestyle reported the two men were arrested by Philippines National Police after the undercover officers bought 120 tablets of ecstasy from Mr Eaton, followed by another 50 tablets from Mr Berg.

Police allege the pair was connected to a drug ring in the Makati area, which was further linked to drugs sold at the Close-Up Forever Summer festival last month, where five people died from suspected drug overdoses.

Autopsies found heart failure, brain damage and organ collapse caused by ingesting a lethal amount of drugs had killed the group.

Both men have denied the allegations.

Mr Berg reportedly said he had “no purpose selling ecstasy” and had “a good paying job”.

He told local media the drugs were someone else’s.

“I texted the individual and said why are you bringing this sh—here,” he told local station GMA.

The president-elect, Rodrigo Duterte, takes charge on June 30 and had previously condemned the drug-related deaths at the festival.

He favours capital punishment for crimes involving murder, rape or drugs.

“What I will do is urge Congress to restore the death penalty by hanging,” Mr Duterte said.

Both men will be charged with violations of the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act.

Police allegedly recovered 255,000 pesos (AUD$7300) worth of street drugs and 100,000 pesos (AUD$2800) in marked money.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade are aware of the matter.

"The department is providing consular assistance to an Australian man arrested in the Philippines," a spokesperson said.

"Due to privacy obligations, we are unable to provide further comment."

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...es-may-face-death-penalty#yg13lBqkqC6h7dck.99

Australian, Canadian arrested in Philippines for allegedly selling ecstasy deny wrongdoing

7535396-3x2-700x467.jpg

Key points:

Manila police describe drugs as "blue cookie monster kind"
Both men remain in police custody, but deny allegations
Police say pair linked to network supplying drugs at a concert

An Adelaide man arrested in the Philippines for allegedly selling ecstasy has admitted he flushed drugs down the toilet during a police raid, but says he has been framed.

Police apprehended Australian Damian Berg and Canadian Jeremy Eaton inside a building in Manila's financial district after a drug bust operation late Monday night.

"We had a buy-bust operation and caught two multinationals who are selling ecstasy, more particularly the blue cookie monster kind," Philippines National Police investigator Enrico Rigor said.

Sachets of imported ecstasy tablets, a type of amphetamine and a party drug, were recovered from the two men.

Both men have denied the allegations, but remain in police custody.

"I actually texted the individual and said 'what the' — sorry excuse my language — 'what the F, why are you bringing this shit here'."

Mr Berg is believed to have been living in the Philippines for several years.

Family rally in support

Mr Berg's father Geoff said the family may try to visit him at some stage, but were waiting to see how the investigation panned out.

He said his son did have legal representation, while his girlfriend was making sure he was OK while in custody.

The Berg family also issued a statement.

"What we do know is that Damian is in custody in Manila and is being treated OK," the statement said.

"It will take time before his case is heard, and until then we can't comment any more.

"As a family, we dearly love him and will be supporting him as much as we can."

President pushes for death penalty for drug criminals

"I walked into the building, I was jumped from behind, told I'm arrested," he said.

"I've never really been told what I'm arrested for, I've just been told 'you know what you did, you know what you did'."

Mr Eaton said a body search turned up nothing.

"I was in the wrong place and at the wrong time, and they think I'm somebody I'm not, so that's it," he said.

Police said the two suspects were linked to a network that sold party drugs to a concert in May, where five people died, allegedly from overdose.

Mr Berg and Mr Eaton will be charged for violating the Philippines' anti-illegal drugs law and could face up to 20 years in prison, police said.

Incoming Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte has vowed to impose the death penalty for all drug crimes.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said her department was providing consular assistance to Mr Berg.

When asked if Mr Berg may face the death penalty under the new President, she said as the matter was before the courts it was too early to speculate on an outcome.

"The new president has made a number of statements on this in the past," she said.

"It is quite clear to the region and the globe that Australia is against the death penalty."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-...rested-in-philippines-deny-wrongdoing/7535350