Australia, Customs and "Research Chemicals"

Rosencavelier

Bluelighter
Okay... help! This was my first "Research Chemical" order, about 8 months ago, and I assumed the company was dodgy and didnt send them as they never arrived. I received this notice yesterday and am quite concerned as to what action I should expect to proceed against me - there was no indication of legal charges or fines on the notice.

I only worked out after I ordered that 5-meo-dipt is prohibited, but I am almost certain that DXM is allowed, and I think TMA2 might be prohibited although it isn't specifically listed (from memory).

I want to know if I'm likely to be charged for importing these goods (10g DXM, 100mg 5-meo-dipt, 100mg TMA2)
Do you think I'm likely to be raided? (and if so.. why the hell would they send me this huge warning?)
Will this be a flag next to my name and all future imports will be checked (I imagine the logistics of this would be impossible) - or worse - will it be flagged on my police record (I also had a spore syringe not arrive - so I may be receiving a notice about that soon, and perhaps a double flag will spark a raid?)

Has anyone gone through this and can tell me what to expect?

Thanks,
Rosen :(

Australian Federal Police
Notice of seizure - Narcotic Related Goods

Description of goods seized:

2 clipseal packets and 1 tube of DXM 10g / 5-meo-dipt / TMA2 respectively
Gross weight 16.7g

Reason for seizure:

Prohibited import.

There is an Important notes section that goes on to say that if I don't make a claim for the return of the goods within 30 days they will be forfeit to the crown, but nothing of legal ramifications.

I'm sending you a PM about this later

Your going to get ALOT of people PM'ing you for Sources......

Peace and Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks aloowishus. :)

Here's a disclaimer - I will not be disclosing any sources. Do not waste your time and mine by PM'ing me asking.

I know people who have had these notices, usually for small ammounts of cocaine of hash, nothing has ever come of it. I have a feeling Customs won't prosecute over small ammounts for personal use, they tend to just seize and destroy them. It would probably be too much paper work for too small a result. That being said, I'm definitely no expert, that's just what I've observed from personal experience. If you are worried about it in future, and want to get more chems in, I suggest making the return address under a fake name, a prior resident of the address would be perfect. I reckon they would have a hard time proving conclusively that the import was destinedfor you.

At the outset let me tell you that I am no expert (legal or otherwise) when it comes to the importation of prohibited substances into Australia.

However, I can be fairly confident in telling you that you have nothing to worry about. It is likely that only authorised persons can import the goods you bought - the reason for the letter from Customs is to let you know that the goods will remain seized until someone comes forward with the necessary paperwork, forms etc verifying that they are authorised to import the stuff.

My calculated guess is that while it is against the law in Australia to import and/or be in possession of those goods, the products concerned do not fall into the same category as illegal narcotics such as cocaine, ecstasy, heroine etc. You're not allowed to have them but the cops aren't about to bust down your door.

I used to import an ephedra-based product from the US and a couple of times a tub of the stuff got seized and I got the same letter. Ephedra-based products can be obtained legally in Australia however unfortunately I have no authorisation to do it.

The goods you ordered probably can only be obtained by those authorised to import them (in which case the importer would have a permit or something like that)

next time you order check out the TGAs website. They have a couple of lists of all substances subject to import controlls.

http://www.tga.gov.au

With the letter you have nothing to worry about unless you are a repeat offender or you are importing a commercial quantity. If you were in trouble, I think a detective would turn up instead of a letter :)

I'm sure I don't need to make the statement that source discussion is prohibited here. Rosencavalier- drop any of the Legal mods or admins a PM if anybody tries to do anything stupid, and we'll deal with it.

I am no expert on Aus law, but I would not be overly concerned about being flagged, though it is a remote possibility. DXM and 5-meo-dipt do not have the same level of notoriety as, for example, cocaine or MDMA.

I would advise against ordering any product of a potentially sensitive nature to your residence address as a general rule.

If you got a letter from Customs, just ignore it. If you sign any forms then they have proof that you imported a restricted substance...
However, I wouldn't order anything else to that address as you are most likely flagged by Customs.
As for the other packages you never recieved, it's pretty likely that they were seized as well. I know several people who have had packages seized and have never recieved a letter from Customs.

PS - were the chemicals labelled? Or did customs have to test the substances to find out what they were?

-ee

With the letter you have nothing to worry about unless you are a repeat offender or you are importing a commercial quantity. If you were in trouble, I think a detective would turn up instead of a letter :)

is this true about repeat offenders? how many letters have some of yas got??

rah said:
is this true about repeat offenders? how many letters have some of yas got??

This is the truth. I can't really give you the reason why I know it's true... so take this assertion at whatever you think it's worth.

Customs will not make an expensive raid for small quantities of banned chemicals on a first or second offence. (except in the case of Schedule 8 drugs, as the small quantity may be part of a larger shipment, such as with the cocaine in the Xmas cards from Chile incident reported by the Sydney press earlier this month). On the third offence, Customs takes more notice of you I believe.

Please note that just because you never recieved a warning letter doesn't mean the package was never sent.... it's happened to many people I know many times before.
Also, if the quantity is large enough, or stands out from other small violations, Customs can flag you whenever they like.

A raid is only likely only to occur when large quantities are involved or Customs have reason to believe you have accumulated a large quantity of a prohibited drug through several orders.

My advice is check the TGA website before you import anything. It's not worth the risk really... especially when almost all your packages are opened by Customs upon entering the country... be it a book from Amazon.com or a birthday present from an overseas relative.

-ee

Last edited:
Due to a new and similar thread in AUSDD, I just thought I'd let everyone know that nothing further came of this.

Thanks for everyones replies and support.