• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Aus - Triple Care Farm: Drug addiction and mental illness need to be managed together

poledriver

Bluelighter
Triple Care Farm: Why drug addiction and mental illness need to be managed together

SEVENTEEN-year-old Luke* used to be a junior professional snowboarder. He grew up in a loving family, went to a good school, and had a lot of friends. But when an injured ankle sustained on tour two years ago put him out of the game indefinitely, life got too much.

"I just wanted to escape from everything. I didn't want to be a part of this world, I didn't want anything to do with my family. I wanted to do stuff with my friends but my friends didn't want to do stuff with me because I wasn't the same," he tells news.com.au.

"I was sick of crying in class, crying myself to sleep, crying all the time. I couldn't handle my emotions, just the littlest things set me off."
Luke was diagnosed with depression and not long after he turned to drugs.

"I thought drugs would help. I just knew that when you smoke weed you can't really talk, so I started to smoke weed. Then I found I couldn't think. So I would smoke ice so I could do stuff and it would pump me back up. But then I hated being on that because it was scary, so I would take a whole bunch of acid to just chill out and trip in some like, fantasy land. But then I'd have a huge comedown so I'd get on opioids, taking heroin and stuff. Prescription pills if I could get them so they'd make the experience two times, ten times stronger. My goal in life was to take drugs. That's it."

That was before Luke enrolled at Triple Care Farm, a residential rehabilitation service provided by the Sir David Martin Foundation and Mission Australia on the NSW southern highlands.
When Luke started at the Farm, he was "coming off every drug except cocaine". Now, ten weeks later, his goal in life has changed dramatically. He's been clean since enrolling at the Farm. He's looking forward to getting his licence when he leaves, wants to complete his Certificate Two at TAFE (which is equivalent to Year 12), and plans to get a trade apprenticeship.

"Hopefully by the start of 2015 I'll be working, driving, making a living - that's kind of the goal now. I'm just really looking forward to being well again. I've been trying as hard as I can. I've been getting along with my mum and dad really well, whereas before we hadn't stopped arguing for three years. I'm interested in them and I'm interested in their lives, whereas before it was all about me. And they're stoked that I'm coming back as their son, who respects and loves them as much as they do me. I've just kind of realised that this is the place for me to change, and so that's what I've been doing."

Nicole Sullivan, clinical psychologist at Triple Care Farm, agrees. "What we provide [these kids] is a safe place for change," she says.
"Coming here means they have made one of the hardest and most important decisions of their lives - to give up drugs and turn their lives around."

The program's voluntary admission might have something to do with its success rate, but the treatment participants enter into is hard. Real hard.

Initially, family and friends are left behind. There are no phones, no internet and no television. Boot camp is compulsory as are counselling sessions. Weekend passes are given out when students pass through a certain stage, and they are encouraged to commit to a three-month stay and six months of follow-up treatment. They are also expected to work on the farm, live in shared accomodation, and go through several kinds of therapy classes including art and music.

News.com.au was invited to witness one of the therapy sessions first hand. The session begins when a young man, Chris*, stands up, confidently moves towards the centre of the room, and announces he's going to take the group through a mindfulness technique. He speaks well, seems educated, and bears the clothing, stubble and tied back ponytail familiar to any inner-city hipster.

He paints a picture of a beautiful rainforest, a running stream, peaceful noise. But, of course, we're not at an inner city poetry reading - indeed, we're not even in the city.
Chris is just one of the 100 people aged between 16 and 24 who come through the Farm each year, seeking treatment for drug and alcohol addiction.

Like Luke, Chris holds the same ambitions and dreams as every other school-aged Australian. But somewhere along they way, he became addicted to a substance, and reached the stage where life became unbearable.
Of the people who come through the Farm, all have a substance misuse issue. In addition to that, 85 per cent suffer from some form of mental illness, including but not limited to schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression. Shockingly, 75 per cent tried to commit suicide in the twelve months before being admitted.

The link between drug and alcohol abuse and mental health problems is not a new concept - in fact, it even has a name: co-morbidity. One in four young people experience a mental health condition over any 12 month period - that is the highest prevalence of any age group - and among this group, approximately half suffer from a substance use disorder. That's a huge proportion of Australia's youth.

But while the situation is not a new thing, treatment facilities that address both mental health and substance abuse are. Triple Care Farm is the only Australian residential rehabilitation program of its kind.
"Most services offer young people with drug and alcohol problems help with either their addiction or their mental health, not both," says Mission Australia's CEO, Toby Hall.

"For young people, addiction and mental illness are very often related. They need to be managed together, not separately. What we provide at Triple Care Farm is a combination of both drug and alcohol rehab and mental health services."

And the proof the program works is in the pudding.

"Semester One's intake this year has seen 100 per cent of our graduates now in stable accommodation," says Sullivan.
"Over 70 per cent are now engaged in employment and training. We get people back to a good fitness level - if they're fitter, they're more likely to abstain from substances when they leave" she says.

Follow up statistics on graduating students also show that only six per cent used alcohol at a chronic level in the three months since leaving the program. At intake, cannabis is the main drug of concern for over half the students - in the six months after leaving, only four per cent reported using the drug again.

"I actually can't believe how much this place has done for me," says Luke. "I didn't really notice until a couple of weeks ago that I actually am levelling out and becoming myself again. I just feel really happy.
"I just can't wait to keep living my life, really, and putting this behind me - not forgetting about it because I've learnt so much - but moving on. Not dwelling on all that stuff but just keeping walking forward. "

Triple Care Farm receives more than 6000 inquiries for support every year. They have room to accept only 100. In addition to this, prior to being accepted, students have to go through a detox program at their local public hospital, alongside middle-aged men and women with chronic addiction problems. Many of these detox programs have waiting lists as long as three months. Add that to the demand on the Triple Care Farm program, and there is no doubt that there is a national shortage of youth-specific detox facilities in the public health system. So what can you do about it? You can donate.

Currently, Triple Care Farm receives only 19 per cent of its funding from the government - the rest comes from people like you. Undoubtedly their biggest fundraising initiative is the AMP Abseil for Youth event, which is taking place on the 18th and 19th of October. You can enter the abseil or sponsor someone else to do so, with the money raised going towards the running of the Farm. Just imagine the difference your financial support could make not only to the students like Chris and Luke who are accepted, but towards increasing the program's capacity for the future.

*Names have been changed for privacy reasons

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...managed-together/story-fniym3t1-1226736558525

as far as i know just about every single rehab in the US has been taking this approach as long as ive been alive. anybody who knows anything about drug addiction knows the vast majority of addicts have mental issues that become hopelessly entangled with the addiction itself and needs to the be primary focus of rehabilitation.

At intake, cannabis is the main drug of concern for over half the students

rofl.... what a bunch of bullshit. really pisses me off when people go to rehab or NA meetings "my weed addiction ruined my life." as wisely stated in "half baked" "MARIJUANA!?!?! i used to suck dick to get coke, you ever sucked dick to get weed!?!? get out!!!"

Family and friends are left behind in addiction. Sounds like a soul fracturing machine to me.

I was forced into rehab about 2 years ago due to being caught in possession of smack + using at work.

I didn't wanna go. In fact, I was quit upset about the whole thing. But it was either "go to rehab" or "lose your job and possibly involve law enforcement".

The part that really worried me the most was having to detox... again.

Wouldn't you believe my surprise when I found out they weren't gonna make me detox, but rather, they would provide me methadone. And then I found out afterwards that the rehab program had little to do with addiction, but rather the reasons why I started using in the first place. They dubbed it "mood disorders".

By the end of the program, I didn't wanna leave. I still miss the place. Mostly because I didn't feel judged or looked down upon for using opioids and/or being on methadone maintenance. Also, they had this chef from South Africa working there. My God. That guy could cook.

All in all, it turned out to be a very positive experience. Plus, it didn't cost me a penny. My insurance company paid half of the bill. The government paid the other half. And, since then, I haven't started using again. Haven't felt the need either.

I can't help but wonder what would have happened if the I was working in the US. Would an American employer have sent me to such a great rehab program? Or would they have handed me a pink slip and possibly called the cops? I'm thinking it would have been the latter.

P.S. Apparently the rehab center I was sent to is quite popular with rich foreigners. For example, next to my room/dorm was this model from Iceland. She had (maybe still has?) issues with cocaine. Really friendly (not to mention stunningly beautiful) girl. My other neighbor was a doctor (MD) from Florida. Really nice guy as well.

That's good to hear, same with *Luke's experience as well, it's great to hear stories like that.

rofl.... what a bunch of bullshit. really pisses me off when people go to rehab or NA meetings "my weed addiction ruined my life." as wisely stated in "half baked" "MARIJUANA!?!?! i used to suck dick to get coke, you ever sucked dick to get weed!?!? get out!!!"
The only person I know that went to rehab for weed did it to avoid prison time for selling weed. Which some might consider problematic use, because he smoked constantly and committed "crimes", unconstitutionally declared crime, to support his habit. Still didn't think it was neccasry for him nor did he. I suppose there could be weed addicts but they'd be a very odd individual. Imagine the mindset "I do bad things rob people and suck dicks to buy drugs just not opiates, stimulants, or alcohol that stuffs bad for you! I'm above degrading things, ain't no crackhead. *lives in tent in woods*".

I know one dude from back in high school who went to rehab for weed(also the only person I know of that suffered the fates of marijuana addiction8(). But he was forced by his dad who was an ex-alcoholic and I believe drug addict (not sure what drugs). I think kid's dad found a scale and weed he was selling, then I guess started drug testing him and sent him to rehab. Now it wasn't his fault but the kid acted cool because of it. Like he actually had a problem and got over it. My friends and I used the "you ever suck dick for weed" joke all the time when making fun of him.