• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Aus - Naked and psychotic: legal cocaine substitute offers a deadly high (bath salts)

poledriver

Bluelighter
Aus - Naked and psychotic: legal cocaine substitute offers a deadly high (bath salts)

IT WAS an unbearable high that lasted several days and ended in a naked, bloodied death.

A central coast truck driver, Glenn Punch, 44, and his girlfriend, Rachael Hickel, 42, injected a drug while in the cabin of his truck one afternoon two weeks ago.

They thought it would just be some fun.

But two days later, after further doses, they were in a deep psychosis.

Suffering unbearable heat, both had shed their clothes. A naked Mr Punch had jumped a barbed wire fence in an industrial area near Newcastle and attacked a security guard before going into cardiac arrest.

He died in Prince of Wales Hospital two days later.

Ms Hickel, who was found with no top on hundreds of metres away, highly agitated and bloodied after falling from the truck,

survived the intense high to bury her long-term partner on Friday near their Berkeley Vale home.

But this was not a normal drug overdose. The pair had done nothing illegal.

The culprit was so-called ''bath salts'', a legal synthetic drug that mimics the effects of cocaine and has quietly reached Australia after sparking widespread concern overseas.

The pair had bought a bag of nondescript white powder called ''Smokin' Slurrie'' from the Nauti & Nice adult shop in Rutherford.

It was labelled ''not for consumption'' but marketed online and in forums as a legal high.

Mr Punch's death was the first bath salts fatality in Australia but the commander of the state's drug squad, Detective Superintendent Nick Bingham,

has since revealed that the mysterious product is ''flying off the shelves'' in adult shops, tobacconists and online, prompting a parliamentary inquiry into the rapidly emerging synthetic drug market.

Manufacturers tweak the composition of the substances so they circumvent illegal drug classifications yet can still trigger many of the same effects of amphetamines.

In NSW, the powder has become astonishingly easy to buy and users boast of their exploits online.

''I was up all night and the next day and I had only gone through about .5 grams. Teeth grinding and hard to sleep the next day,'' wrote one forum user.

A new psychoactive drug enters the European market every week, far outpacing efforts to legislate against them, yet no figures on consumption exist in Australia because the substance is so new.

A Brisbane lawyer representing several sellers, Patrick Quinn, said the products were becoming ''huge'', particularly among miners because they were not detected in urine tests.

''There's a lot of money to be made and my clients make no secret about what they do,'' Mr Quinn said. ''The profit margins are incredible and they are intent on selling a legal product.''

Nauti & Nice refused to comment and the distributor of Smokin' Slurrie, who gave his name as Brett, hung up on Fairfax. A woman earlier said he couldn't talk because he was dropping his children at school.

The director of the National Drug Research Institute, Professor Steve Allsop, said authorities needed to take seriously what was happening around the world.

''I think we need to be concerned,'' he said.

''We're not clear on prevalence in Australia because all people have to do is click a couple of buttons and the substance comes through Australia Post, so that makes it hard to detect.

It's a new challenge.'' Several synthetic cannabis blends were banned in NSW last year but manufacturers can simply tweak recipes, causing further confusion.

Eight ''families'' of synthetics were scheduled by the Commonwealth but enforcement has to be implemented in state legislation, something a state parliamentary inquiry is exploring.

The committee finished hearings two weeks ago and will draft recommendations over Christmas.

Detective Superintendent Bingham has suggested copying New Zealand, where legislation has placed the onus of proof about safety on the manufacturers.

He said Australian sellers were willing to foot the bill for testing, which topped $1 million in New Zealand.

NSW's Young Lawyers group has cautioned the committee against knee-jerk, blanket legislation without proper research.

Yet, poignantly, on the same day Detective Superintendent Bingham gave evidence to the inquiry on the urgent need for action, Mr Punch was rapidly losing his battle in a hospital a few kilometres away.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/naked-and...tute-offers-a-deadly-high-20121102-28phr.html

How is it not a normal drug overdose... the storys unusual certainly. The fact they overdosed isn't.

1. They were injecting bath salts.
2. They were re-dosing... which I can only assume, were IV.
3. Well one and fucking two.

I mean the article doesn't get close to explaining how much they were injecting. If they knew how much they were supposed to inject or anything of the sort. Just leaves me to think they just thought fuck it, I've heard about this stuff... let's stick it into our veins. Though I'm sure they weren't that stupid.
Fair play, the guy didn't deserve to die, but if you're going to inject bath salts, longer than 24hrs, its no wonder deadly shit happens. G

Hard to tell. Most of these legal high bath salts are unknown substances or a combination of unknown substances. It could of been anything.

You have to be fucking stupid to IV an unknown research chemicals and constantly redose without knowing the half life or duration of effects.

The pair had bought a bag of nondescript white powder called ''Smokin' Slurrie'' from the Nauti & Nice adult shop in Rutherford.

the white powder in question when googled leads to a dodgy looking website here in Aus that sells 'bath salts'. It doesn't say what they put in it tho, or any details much at all as far as i could see. Just some pic of a half naked chick.

Idiots all round,

1. injecting unknown substance

2, thinking legislation is going to do squat about anything

Herbal high 'cooked' us - victim

A COUPLE who bought a legal synthetic drug was allegedly told by an adult shop it would give them a gentle herbal high.

Days later it had ''cooked one of them from the inside'', Rachael Hickel, 42, said, speaking about the country's first ''bath salts'' death that claimed the life of her boyfriend, Glenn Punch, 44.

The Central Coast couple injected the white powder while in the back of Mr Punch's truck and suffered severe psychosis; Mr Punch then went into cardiac arrest after a confrontation with security guards.

A devastated Ms Hickel broke down as she told the Sun Herald they had done something silly by trying the unmarked powder and becoming guinea pigs for an unknown substance. ''I want it out there what this drug does and how it's being sold,'' she said.

She claimed they went to the Nauti & Nice adult shop in Rutherford ''for a bit of fun'' and, after they were shown a smorgasbord of synthetic drugs, they were offered Smokin' Slurrie.

The couple bought a packet for $150 and tasted some the next day. When it had little effect, they injected it twice. Mr Punch died two days later in Prince of Wales Hospital and was buried near his Berkeley Vale home on Friday.

The drug, which mimics the effects of cocaine and has nothing to do with bath salts, has quietly reached Australia after widespread concern overseas, the Herald reported on Saturday.

On its website, Smokin' Slurrie says: ''None of our products are for human consumption. This is an agreement you make with us when buying our products (Sadly a few ruin it for the many).''

Nauti & Nice declined to comment on Ms Hickel's claims and police can't seize the products because they are legal.

''We're good people but we've been totally humiliated,'' Ms Hickel said. ''I know we've done the wrong thing. We thought we were taking herbal product but it cooked him from the inside out.''

http://www.coastaltimes.com.au/news...ral/herbal-high-cooked-us-victim/2666210.aspx

idk i feel as much pity as i do when kids snort monster doses of 2c-t-7, injecting a unknown substance? insane we need more honest, informative harm reduction education to prevent people from thinking its safe to inject random substances illustrated not for human consumption

in america i think bath salts is supposed to be methylone/mephedrone/mpdv

but in australia who the fuck knows

having accidently plugged WAY too much of an RC stim (pentedrone?) by accident (mixed up unmarked baggies) and ended up in ER i can relate to how fucked that guys experience must have been

only have bourgeois politicians/soul less RC vendors to blame for things like this anyway though

Saw the interview & "expose" on Sunday Night. Gonzo journalism at it's worst. The only person who made any sense was the fed who said "they call it bath salts but it could be anything". Picture super slow mo's with evil music & "bath salts" repeated 50 times.

I don't feel sorry for this couple at all. You take an unknown substance of unknown strength & iv it multiple times & then cry to the media in a paid story when something goes wrong. We are all adults & if you play the game, you take the risks. If you are uneducated/stupid then you heighten your likelyhood of coming to harm.

Sordid deals and deadly games in pursuit of pleasure

BEHIND lush green hedges, Rushall sits grandly on a quiet Pymble street.

The Federation-style mansion is a far cry from the side of a Newcastle road where truck driver Glenn Punch, 44,

injected a fatal dose of so-called ''bath salts'' two months ago or an adult shop in Mackay where a man binged on 10 packets of the same substance, resulting in his leg being amputated.

But it was here in Pymble that the businesses selling Smokin Slurrie, the legal synthetic cocaine product that caused both men to go on naked and psychotic rampages, were supposedly based, according to company records lodged with ASIC.

The man responsible for the spread of Smokin Slurrie around the country is Mark Binsted, a former Barker College student.

At the time of Mr Punch's death, the 27-year-old had registered one company, Hektic Herbal, to a Pymble apartment and another, East Coast Tobacconist Distributors, to his parents' nearby mansion,

where his father, Paul,an investment banker and former chairman of the Sydney Ports Corporation and State Rail Authority, has hosted lavish $10,000-a-head Australian Labor Party fund-raisers.

Leading Labor figures Bob Carr and Mark Latham have been welcomed through the Queen Anne-style home's grand double doors.

Now, police sources confirm Mark Binsted is being investigated as they crack down on the spread of the mysterious drug.

Since Fairfax reported on Mr Punch's death, the Smokin Slurrie website has disappeared and the registered offices of Mr Binsted's two companies have been changed to the North Sydney office of Northside Law.

ASIC records still list the principal place of business as the Binstead family home.

Herald investigations have found that Mr Binsted engaged a 43-year-old Queensland father, Brett Reddell, and his 34-year-old partner to distribute Smokin Slurrie to adult shops and tobacconists around the country,

including the Nauti n Nice adult shop where Mr Punch and his girlfriend, Rachael Hickel, bought the deadly drug for $150.

Tests by Queensland police revealed it contained an illegal compound called Alpha-PVP and shops selling the product were raided two weeks ago.

Mr Reddell and his partner were charged with drug trafficking and will appear in a Queensland court in January.

Police in NSW are taking a more cautious approach as their tests have not yet confirmed it has illegal compounds.

Mr Binsted has kept himself at arm's length from the drama in Queensland.

Mr Reddell kept stock at a Queensland house and was the contact point for sellers. Northside Law's Pauline Wong wrote letters on behalf of Mr Binsted's companies that assured sellers of Smokin Slurrie's legality.

One seller on the central coast, who stocks the product at his shop in Westfield, said wholesalers such as Mr Binsted could earn up to $3000 per kilogram of drugs sold. ''The profits are huge,'' he said.

Paul Binsted said he was unaware his son, who no longer lives at home, had registered the addresses of the synthetic drug companies as being the family home and said he was surprised and disappointed.

Fairfax Media does not suggest that the business was in fact run from the home, or that Paul Binsted had any involvement in it.

A former friend said Mark was the black sheep of the family and had a chequered past, including threatening violence against friends.

He was convicted of an armed break and enter in 2006 and was found not guilty on three assault charges in 2009.

He will front Manly Local Court this month on drink driving charges.

Mr Binsted did not return calls and Mr Reddell refused to answer questions.

Neither of the men has commented on the death of Mr Punch, who went into cardiac arrest while trying to get help for his injured, drug-affected girlfriend, or on the Mackay adult shop worker who went into a violent rage,

trashing his workplace in October. Police found him with 10 opened packets of Smokin Slurrie. He had broken his leg and it had was so infected it had to be amputated.

''We are starting to see how dangerous [the drugs] really can be,'' said Detective Superintendent Nick Bingham, the head of the NSW Drug Squad.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sordid-deals-and-deadly-games-in-pursuit-of-pleasure-20121130-2amh9.html

'Bath salts' death: lethal drug was a top seller

A shop assistant who sold thousands of dollars worth of synthetic "legal" amphetamines a day from an adult store advised buyers to snort or inject despite having little knowledge about the dangerous substances, an inquest has heard.

Truck driver Glenn Punch, 44, bought the powder commonly known as bath salts from the Nauti and Nice shop near Newcastle and died hours later after injecting himself in the back of his truck with his girlfriend, Rachael Hickel.

An inquest into his death heard on Tuesday that the drug was so popular it was sold at dozens of adult shops and tobacconists and formed 80 per cent of sales at Nauti and Nice but staff were given no training on how to sell it or what advice to give to consumers.

Glenn Punch and Rachael Hickel. Mr Punch died from a suspected "bath salts" overdose last year.

Glenn Punch and Rachael Hickel. Mr Punch died from a suspected "bath salts" overdose last year. Photo: Facebook

"Most customers knew what they wanted. They would usually talk about the product and I would get feedback from them," said shop assistant Cameron McEwan, who allegedly sold the product "Smokin Slurrie" to Mr Punch from an under-the-counter drawer.

"People would often ask me how to consume it and I would say that I suppose you could mix it with water or snort it."

Mr McEwan had also tried the product himself – sometimes while at work – and said he was surprised by its potency.

"Smokin slurries": the illicit drug that Mr Punch is believed to have taken.

"I thought I can't believe that this is legal," he said.

He denied telling Ms Hickel that it was all herbal or advising Mr Punch to use a "weapon" – slang for a needle.

After injecting the substance on the afternoon of October 21, 2012, Mr Punch had stripped off his clothes, jumped the barbed-wire fence of a nearby shipping yard and smashed a window in a crazed, psychotic fit.

Ms Hickel had fallen from the truck and was covered in blood. She had taken her top off to clean herself as she ran off in the opposite direction, desperately yelling "help me, help me".

Mr Punch was restrained by several security guards inside the shipping yard and went into cardiac arrest.

The inquest heard that Mr Punch, Ms Hickel, the shop assistants and owners of Nauti and Nice and even the manufacturer and distributor of Smokin Slurrie were all under the mistaken belief it was a "legal high".

A north shore law firm, Northside Law, had written letters to adult shops, tobacconists and other sellers on behalf of the distributor of Smokin Slurrie vouching for the product's legality.

Police testing later revealed that the drug's active ingredient was Alpha-PVP, a substance that is an "analogue" of a prohibited substance, making it illegal.

"The drug clearly had psychotropic effects," counsel assisting the coroner, Peter Hamill, SC, said. "The substance wasn't legal. The troubling thing is that it appears there was real confusion over that ... It seems it was utterly unregulated."

Alpha-PVP has since been outlawed after sweeping changes to synthetic drug legislation in NSW following Mr Punch's death and the death of 17-year-old north shore student Henry Kwan, who jumped off a balcony while under the effects of another synthetic amphetamine.

The inquest before State Coroner Mary Jerram continues.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bath-salt...-top-seller-20131008-2v5jp.html#ixzz2hBYHWibO

Bath salts caused terrifying hallucinations, court told

Six months after trying a so-called legal amphetamine known as bath salts, Rachael Hickel was still deeply affected.

She then saw the woman walk out of the shop and eat a dead animal off the road.

"If I was driving in my car at nighttime, I would have the interior light on because [I'd see] people coming out of the boot trying to get me," she said.

The hallucinations were so intense that the former pharmacy assistant didn't even believe her boyfriend Glenn Punch, 44, had died when he injected himself with the white powder called Smokin Slurrie in the back of his truck on October 21, 2012.

An inquest into Mr Punch's death heard that Ms Hickel thought she saw him drive off in a car while she was screaming for help, covered in blood after falling from the prime mover.

Mr Punch had actually jumped the barbed-wire fence of a nearby shipping yard on the outskirts of Newcastle, smashed a window in a psychotic fit and gone into cardiac arrest when he was restrained by security guards.
"Smokin slurries": the illicit drug that Mr Punch is believed to have taken.

"I thought it was all fake, even at the funeral," she said. A week after she buried her boyfriend, she called central coast police to ask if it was real.

The product, which was being sold as a legal high in adult shops, tobacconists and other retailers across the state until it was banned in June, had a terrifying effect on Ms Hickel, the inquest heard.

"It made me feel really hot, like, really heated up through to my head," she said. "My heart was racing ... Then I started seeing people in my house and I was petrified. They were coming out from under the bed. Their hands were coming up out from under the lounge. I was trying to catch these people in my house. My eyes were sore, my head was throbbing.

You were so dehydrated you knew you had to have a drink. I'd be standing near the fridge but you just couldn't comprehend it [and] then the water tasted like it was poisoned."

The couple tried the drug four or five times and each time Ms Hickel flushed the leftovers down the toilet because of what they had experienced.

Gregory James, QC, representing the Nauti and Nice adult stores where the drugs were purchased, asked why they kept taking it when it had such effects and when Ms Hickel was on anti-depressants.

"I can't answer that question," she said. "It's stupid, I know."

She said a shop assistant, Cameron McEwan, sold it to them as a legal herbal high and told them they could snort it, smoke it or inject it.

Mr McEwan denied this but told the inquest he was never given any advice on selling the product - which was marked as "not for human consumption" - despite knowing people were buying it to consume.

Another shop assistant, Jessica Cox, said they sold $7000-$8000 worth of synthetic drugs a day and the shop managers encouraged staff to try it so they knew what they were selling.

She said one woman who regularly bought bath salts asked if she could eat Ms Cox's face off. She then saw the woman walk out of the shop and eat a dead animal off the road.

A north shore law firm, Northside Law, had written letters to sellers on behalf of the distributor and manufacturer of Smokin Slurrie, vouching for the product's legality.

Police testing later revealed that the drug's active ingredient was Alpha-PVP, a substance that is an "analogue" of a prohibited substance, making it illegal.

Alpha-PVP has since been outlawed after sweeping changes to synthetic drug legislation in NSW following Mr Punch's death and the death of 17-year-old north shore student Henry Kwan, who jumped off a balcony while under the effects of another synthetic amphetamine.

The inquest before State Coroner Mary Jerram continues.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bath-salt...-court-told-20131009-2v7nw.html#ixzz2hCEGh4OV

She said one woman who regularly bought bath salts asked if she could eat Ms Cox's face off. She then saw the woman walk out of the shop and eat a dead animal off the road.

Good old bath salts.