• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Aus - Mother, sister tried to stop teen jumping to his death after taking drug

poledriver

Bluelighter
Mother, sister tried to stop teen jumping to his death after taking drug

The mother and sister of a 17-year-old boy tried desperately to stop him jumping over the third floor balcony of their apartment in Sydney's upper north shore when he arrived home after taking a drug that mimics the effect of LSD.

The teenager plunged to his death in Killara Avenue, Killara on Wednesday night having ingested a tab of a drug that was allegedly sold to him as LSD, but is actually a synthetic drug.

It is understood the Killara High School student had bought the drug from a friend and classmate a short time earlier.

The head of the NSW Police Drugs Squad, Detective Superintendent Nick Bingham, said the teenager’s mother and sister were understandably extremely distraught, having struggled with him in a bid to stop him jumping from the balcony.

He had removed all his clothes and appeared to be in some kind of a drug-induced psychosis, Detective Superintendent Bingham said.

"When he arrived home he engaged in some very erratic behaviour which is quite out of character for this young fellow. By all accounts he’s a very good young lad," he said.

"He was on his balcony at home. His mother and sister were with him and he managed to jump off the balcony... they were trying to stop him from jumping off."

He said police had become aware of the drug in recent months, with the product most often purchased online and most likely originating in China.

He said it is marketed as an LSD mimic, was extremely cheap to buy and had been found across the country.

Its dangerous effects could last up to 11 hours, Detective Superintendent Bingham said.

The teenager was a Year 12 student.

Students were informed when they arrived at school on Thursday morning of his death.

His friend Riku said the teenager had been at the school since Year 9 and was an exceptional student

"I am stunned. I was shocked," Riku said.

"He laughed a lot. He sometimes was annoying. He made some really good jokes. He was generous.

"He was kind. He was a good student."

The 17-year-old lived in the apartment with his mother and siblings.

Those who were close to him at school were allowed to leave for the day upon hearing the news.

A NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said paramedics were called to an address in Killara Avenue at 8.05pm on Wednesday to treat a male patient who was semi-conscious and suffering from a head injury.

"While at the scene we engaged in life-saving efforts, however the patient died," the spokeswoman said.

Police say there have been other recent cases of teenagers and young adults acting recklessly after ingesting the synthetic hallucinogenic substances 25B-NBOMe and 25I-NBOMe, including a number of teenagers who stripped naked and ran through the streets of Sydney's north shore earlier this year.

A teenager who took those substances also was hit by a car on the Central Coast last year after running into its path, while his friend died after suffering a medical condition.

In another case in South Australia last year, a man who had taken the drug died from injuries sustained when he repeatedly ran into trees, power poles and other fixed objects.

The drug is believed to be made in China and bought over the internet.

Following Wednesday night's the death, an 18-year-old man was arrested and charged with supplying a prohibited drug. Further arrests are expected to be made.

Police remained at the apartment block where the teenager died on Thursday afternoon taking computers and bags of evidence from the home.

A neighbour who lives opposite the apartment block said he saw a large number of police at the building on Wednesday night.

The man, who did not want to be identified, said there did not appear to have been a party at the building, and the only indication that something was wrong was the large police presence.

"We were concerned about what was going on, and when I asked the police they said someone had died," he said.

A spokesman for the NSW Department of Education and Communities said counselling support was being offered to staff and students at the school.

"Killara High School is deeply saddened by the tragic loss of a Year 12 student," he said.

"The thoughts of the school community are with the family and friends."

Detective Superintendent Bingham said police had received a number of reports in recent months of teenagers and young adults acting recklessly after ingesting 25B-NBOMe and 25I-NBOMe.

The exact substance the teenager ingested on Wednesday night is still to be determined, but Detective Superintendent Bingham said his behaviour was similar to that exhibited by others who had taken those substances.

“The fact is that both illicit drugs and synthetic drugs are dangerous, and people taking these substances don't know how they are going to be affected,” he said.

“What we are seeing with 25B-NBOMe and 25I-NBOMe is that people are engaging in reckless, risky behaviour, such as running into traffic, having psychedelic crises which cause anxiety, panic attacks, acute paranoia and fear, as well as undressing due to feeling overheated.

“That is putting their health and their lives at considerable risk.

“That's not to mention the countless people who have experienced adverse reactions, including some who have died, after taking different illicit and synthetic drugs.

“Anyone who is considering experimenting with illicit or synthetic drugs should stop to consider the possible consequences and not do it. It's a gamble with your life that's just not worth taking.”

The 18-year-old man arrested following Wednesday night's death was granted conditional bail to appear in Hornsby Local Court on July 3.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/mother-si...taking-drug-20130606-2nrpe.html#ixzz2VPy1JmqC

Killara High teen Henry Kwan dies in balcony fall after ingesting LSD

A TEEN who died last night after taking an LSD tab has been named as Henry Kwan.

The 17-year-old fell from a top-floor unit at Killara about 8pm.

Paramedics rushed to help the teenager, who died at the scene.

A friend from Killara High said students in year 12 were informed of Henry's death this morning.

Police from North Shore Local Area Command were called to a home at Killara last night after the teen fell to his death from a third-floor balcony at his home.

Officers were told the teenager had allegedly ingested a tab of LSD and had been acting out of character prior to his death.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...er-ingesting-lsd/story-fni0cx12-1226658438922

It's not the people, it's the fucking chemicals they're ingesting. I tell my stepson all the time buy a testing kit. He's 18 and thinks he knows it all.
"Oh no ma, my dawg gets real shit, he's not gonna jack me" He won't listen, kids think they're invincible. :(

Its a shame that somebody died, but once again "evil drugs" will get the blame.

Such a sad and unecessary death. Too close to home, just a year younger and in Sydney too. This wouldn't have happened if drugs were regulated and legalised, there would be no need to buy dodgy drugs over the Internet.

Are we seriously blaming the drugs here?

Maybe subconsciously he wanted to kill himself? Maybe not? Who knows?

Are we seriously blaming the drugs here?

Maybe subconsciously he wanted to kill himself? Maybe not? Who knows?

YES we're blaming the drugs 8) The guy was off his head on some crazy RC and ended up killing himself. His family said it was completely out of character so it doesn't take a genius to work out what happened. Demonising a drug is one thing but calling it how it is is another.

Such a sad and unecessary death. Too close to home, just a year younger and in Sydney too. This wouldn't have happened if drugs were regulated and legalised, there would be no need to buy dodgy drugs over the Internet.

No one jumps from balcony on LSD? Two people here mentioned testing, he didn't die from drugs, he jumped off a balcony. Yeah that sucks but it happens on LSD, mushrooms, and anything that makes you hallucinate. Don't glorify LSD as this safe drug where no one dies from misadventure, or even suicide. Happens all the time.
Anyway there is only one line about it being sold as LSD, I would like to know more. Most of these cases I have heard its called designer acid or some other nonsense. I would be interested to hear what comes out at trial. He wasn't even scrapped off sidewalk yet and its already confirmed as nbome? Other people die and we need to wait months for toxicology tests.
A few dead people, and resulting legal trials will get word out on the consequences of selling nbomes.

What's the basis for the claim of it being made in China? i seem to see it a lot when there's a bad incident with a designer drug but with no reasoning behind it.

China is a very big producer and exporter of RCs. That doesn't mean it was made there but there is a good chance.

Another article on same incident

"The exact substance the teenage boy ingested yesterday is still to be determined but Det Supt Bingham said his behaviour was similar to that exhibited by others who had taken 25B-NBOMe and 25I-NBOMe."

I hope they have more than that

In another case in South Australia last year, a man who had taken the drug died from injuries sustained when he repeatedly ran into trees, power poles and other fixed objects.

No disrespect meant to the departed but that made me laugh.

Moving on - It makes my heart ache to hear, see or read about another teen or young adult dying due to drug use.

Who knows, perhaps if the deceased would have been able to get his hands on actual LSD, things may have turned out differently.

This is why RCs creep me out. I end up reading/hearing about some really weird reactions, effects, etc. Things which would probably never happen with the real thing.

I don't even wanna think about what the kid's family is going through atm. His mom especially must be a mess. So tragic.

I would be interested to hear what comes out at trial. He wasn't even scrapped off sidewalk yet and its already confirmed as nbome? Other people die and we need to wait months for toxicology tests.

They busted the guy/friend who sold it to him, they also showed a pic on the news of what I'm guessing is them, unless it was a stock/file photo, and it was of nbome's, big pink tabs, looked nothing like lsd that I have ever seen before.

Henry Kwan leapt to his death in a synthetic psychosis

TALENTED and ambitious, Henry Kwan was dux of his class and determined to become a doctor.

But a foolish experiment with a lethal synthetic drug cost the 17-year-old his life.

In a drug-induced psychosis on Wednesday night, Henry stripped naked then plunged from the top-floor balcony of his family's north shore home - because he "believed he could fly".

A tragic story emerged of the final moments before the Year 12 Killara High student died just hours after ingesting a tab of what he thought was LSD - but was in fact a synthetic drug - which he bought from another teen, police said.

Last night, his devastated father Stephen Kwan said Henry had "confessed" to his mother that he had taken the drugs.

"He thought he could fly," Mr Kwan said. "Whatever it did to him, he just kept saying he could fly. He was behaving very irrationally and strangely and my wife tried to stop him ... she grabbed hold of him on the balcony but he was too strong."

Just after 8pm, Henry fell from the third floor of the Killara Ave apartment block, in front of his helpless mother and younger sister. He died from massive head injuries.

Mr Kwan said it was the first time he had known Henry to touch drugs, with his son ordinarily very focused on school and study.

"I just don't understand why he would take drugs, Henry would never do something like that, he wasn't like that," Mr Kwan said.

"He was such a smart boy, very good at school. He wanted to be a doctor or a lawyer, but mostly a doctor."

NSW Police drug squad head Detective Superintendent Nick Bingham said the use of synthetic LSD was an emerging problem, and in many cases being taken by teenagers not prone to drug use, such as Henry.

"A lot of the cases we are seeing involved young people who have never been in trouble with the law before," Supt Bingham said. "They are not your stereotype drug users. "

He said the drugs are often bought over the internet cheaply and sent through the mail, mostly from China.

"It gives the drug an air of legality or they think it is safe because it is on the internet. But there is absolutely nothing safe about it," he said.

A 17-year-old man has been charged with supply of a prohibited drug, and will face court on July 3.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/na...is/story-fnii5s3x-1226658982611#ixzz2VSl4PIwX

Teen jumps to his death after $1.50 drug hit

Sydney high school students are selling a cheap and dangerous synthetic drug to classmates that mimics the effects of LSD and which has been blamed for the death of a year 12 student on the North Shore.

He was on his balcony at home. His mother and sister were with him and he managed to jump off the balcony... they were trying to stop him from jumping off

The hallucinogenic substance that Henry Kwan ingested hours before he jumped to his death at Killara on Wednesday night is widely available on the internet for as little as $1.50 per tab.

The synthetic substance, known as either 25B-NBOMe or 25I-NBOMe, first came to the attention of NSW police in March and is believed to be manufactured in China.

Head of the Drug Squad Detective Superintendent Nick Bingham said a request was being made to the state government to have the substance placed on the prohibited list.

‘‘Drug types such as this are generally through peer supply, mates to mates, and the initial purchase is generally over the internet,’’ Detective Superintendent Bingham said.

‘‘Unfortunately it is rather cheap. It’s very difficult, we can’t be in everybody’s lounge rooms.’’

Henry Kwan is understood to have allegedly bought the substance from a classmate at Killara High School on the belief it was LSD and then ingested it on Wednesday afternoon.

His family told police that the teen began acting erratically as soon as he arrived home, removing all his clothes and appeared to be in some kind of drug-induced psychosis.

The teenager then was involved in a tense standoff with his mother and sister on the balcony of the family’s Killara Avenue apartment, which drew neighbours outside to see the commotion.

His mother and sister then tried desperately to stop him as shocked neighbours watched on as he jumped from the third floor balcony to his death. An ambulance arrived a short time later but Henry could not be revived.

His classmates were told of his death when they arrived at school on Thursday morning. Henry was preparing to do the Higher School Certificate and was a top student.

Police say there have been other recent cases of teenagers and young adults acting recklessly after ingesting the synthetic hallucinogenic substances 25B-NBOMe and 25I-NBOMe, including a number of teenagers who stripped naked and ran through the streets of Sydney’s north shore earlier this year.

Nick Mitchell, 15, took a similar style substance and was hit by a car on the central coast last year after running into its path, while his friend died after suffering a medical condition.

Following Henry’s death an 18-year-old was charged with supplying a prohibited drug. He was granted granted conditional bail to appear in Hornsby Local Court on July 3.

Superintendent Bingham said: ‘‘The illegality in selling this drug is purporting this drug to be a prohibited drug –purporting this drug to be a drug called LSD is the same as selling LSD."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/teen-jump...50-drug-hit-20130606-2nrpe.html#ixzz2VTBedEvS

The synthetic substance, known as either 25B-NBOMe or 25I-NBOMe

It isn't "known" as one or the other, it is one or the other, and not both. Drug journalism is so annoying.

Stripped naked, high as a kite and wanting to fly like a bird. That's how I want to go out.

Well that or fucked senseless but a troop of circus midgets.....