View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Aus - Decriminalising marijuana is going to happen

poledriver

Bluelighter
Aus - Decriminalising marijuana is going to happen

849639-4fda1e8a-2f27-11e4-8f45-8b4e2dbdff40.jpg

THE hippies are right about ganja. Inevitably, marijuana is going to be decriminalised in Australia. It may not happen with the current government, despite the Member for Leichhardt’s best intentions, but it is going to happen, whether you like it or not.

Whether it’s a smokescreen, as I cynically imagine to reinstate his relevance with left-leaning voters or not, Warren Entsch is 100 per cent correct about the need to legalise cannabis for medical purposes.

It is outrageous that a natural herb (that grows fantastically well in the Wet Tropics, I might add) can provide so much relief to sufferers of such horrific diseases as cancer, multiple sclerosis and other chronic conditions, is still outlawed in 21st century Australia, because of a perceived risk to human health.

With all the knowledge, studies and wisdom we have about the harmful effects of tobacco, you can still pop down to the corner store and order a sneaky packet of smokes – as exorbitant as the price may currently be – and not worry about having a SWAT team rappel down the side of your home to bust in and arrest you for possession.

If we’re so concerned about harming our bodies with a natural plant, then let’s put our money where our tumour-lined mouths are, and outlaw tobacco in this country, too.

Marijuana, the wackier tobaccy, is the illicit drug of choice for a majority of Australians. A National Drug Strategy household survey, for instance, found it was used at least once by a third of all Australians aged 14 years or older. A whopping 1.6 million people have reported using the drug.

It’s reefer madness, all right. But no matter which way you crunch those numbers – that’s a hell of a lot of police resources we have tied up trying to clamp down on something that, from the outset, doesn’t appear to be causing nearly as much harm as good.

There is an increasing amount of stories hitting the headlines of parents – many still anonymous – who use marijuana for the benefit of their children.

Parents like the Port Douglas mother of a young woman diagnosed with a life-threatening blood disorder.

Her 22-year-old daughter, who was pre-leukemic, has apparently shown miraculous signs of improvement within just two weeks of taking cannabis oil, with her platelets moving into the normal range, and two weeks later having her haemoglobin levels starting to rise.

Without meeting this mother and her daughter, you can guarantee they aren’t stoners, prone to giggling at the menu at Maccas in the small hours of the morning.

The mother, who spoke to The Cairns Post on the condition of anonymity last week, seems like a completely reasonable person who is willing to do anything and everything to save the life of her loved one. We shouldn’t have to force people like this to feel like they are criminals.

It is encouraging to see so many politicians, on both sides of the fence, stepping forward to show their support for knocking down the wall of pot prohibition. It is a sure sign that, as Bob Dylan memorably forewarned, they no longer want to stand in the doorways, nor block up the halls.

Decriminisation of cannabis in Australia will happen, and I can tell you exactly why: the good ol’ US of A. Currently, possessing pot for recreational use is legal in the states of Washington and Colorado, under strict regulation.

It is also allowed for medicinal purposes in 23 states, with others expected to soon follow.

If you look at a map of northern America, it is literally like a huge wave of change is sweeping the nation.

And the waves will surely reach our great sunburnt land.

Australia, historically, has always followed America. Into Vietnam. Into the Middle East. Even into the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Aussie comedian Wil Anderson openly discusses his use of cannabis, primarily for medicinal reasons (he legitimately has shoddy hips and uses it for chronic pain relief).

As a citizen of Australia, who spends much of his year living in the US while performing abroad, it is 100 per cent OK for him to toke up in his home in LA.

Yet if he carries out the same action in his home country, he can be arrested.

The grumpy old men and women who are in charge of our nation – and similarly those who influence our people in power – cannot see past their own archaic ideals to clearly see the absurdity of situations like this.

It won’t matter. Progress has and always will outlive their ridiculous beliefs.

Cont -

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/o...-going-to-happen/story-fnjpuwl3-1227041848942

This concept of aggressive selective drug criminalization is new. As conservative as people were 100 years ago they were relatively level headed about drugs. Have you ever read the childrens book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz? This is from the part where they walk into the field of red poppies.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz said:
They now came upon more and more of the big scarlet poppies and fewer and fewer of the other flowers; and soon they found themselves in the midst of a great meadow of poppies. Now it is well known that when there are many of these flowers together their odor is so powerful that anyone who breathes it falls asleep, and if the sleeper is not carried away from the scent of the flowers, he sleeps on and on forever.
Chapter 8 The deadly poppy field, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum 1900

The books copyright expired and the full text is available here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43936

Honest and accurate information about the drugs we put in our bodies is the most effective harm reduction. Hypocritical criminalization, intolerance, and censorship only exacerbate the potential harm of the natural human tendency towards drug experimentation. This is true regarding whatever drug. Our society knew this originally. As an American I apologize my country so aggressively proselytized our failing drug polices, since the Great Depression we have been greedy and short sighted.

I am glad some Australians are considering admitting they were wrong.

Last edited:
Better late than never. And hopefully once the ball gets rolling and people realize the benefits of decriminalization and legalization, that can be expanded, slowly and carefully, to other substances, till we reach a point where drug laws are written to create the least harm possible, not arbitrarily condemn users of certain substances.

read thread title and had a glimmer of hope that this wasn't just going to be speculation about future governments possible change of tone

Victorian Labor (opposition) leader is pretty darn keen on medical buds Mysterie. Which tbh is rather huge. SA may have it decriminalized (which is great) but once the eastern states start catching on with medical bud or possible decriminalization then the rest of the country will follow suit.

In an ideal world, they will follow suit.

Yeah SA has the best laws so far -

SA has had the most relaxed of all decriminalised states for the longest of all as they were the first to institute them in 1987. The lowdown is possession of up to 100 grams of marijuana, 20 grams of hash (the resin from the cannabis plant), one non-hydroponic plant or cannabis smoking equipment leads to a fine from $50 to $150 with 60 days to pay it.

I'm hoping in the next decade we see some movement into full legal weed in some states or territories here.

Woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

On that link Poledriver, did you check out what they got on WA? That's fucked!

* UPDATE: WA (Western Australia) - WA Police Minister Rob Johnson says anyone caught with more than 10 grams of cannabis will face two years jail or a $2,000 fine. He said those caught with fewer than 10 grams must attend a one-on-one counselling session. Apparently this is to be based on a similar system used in QLD (July 2011)

Yet the neighboring state they literally share the border with has is decriminalized, I just, I just can't even....

Do they really enforce it? Unless you spark up at the cricket no one really bats an eye lid these days. I avoid taking weed into festivals because of sniffer dogs but most BBQ we have down by the river someone will pull out a spliff in public.

Most mates I know get busted for other misdemeanours then have drug paraphernalia charges tacked on top.

Yeah WA is strict. It's a shame, hopefully it all changes eventually. That still wont help all the people who have been fucked over by crap laws in the past tho.

i just want to be able to buy a sativa dominant strain from a dispensary, most dealers and stoners i know don't really understand the difference between indica/sativa its depressing, let alone seem to care that you can only buy strong indica strains from low-mid lvl weed dealers

Yeah that and also being able to know exactly what strain you are buying and how much THC and CBD are in it would be nice too.

Until we see actual change with our 2 party preferred system, or a real potroots campaign that both right-wing majors can't ignore, it will be a long, long time before we see legal marijuana in Australia IMO. Even Decriminalized is a stretch, and medical, if that ever happens has already been delayed because of course they need to repeat the exact same studies that countries all over the world have done for so long because we put up with the shit we get rammed down our throats by media moguls and their own self interests. Now politicians with blatantly their own self interests. Do you think that unless a major political party would amass huge sums of money from the legalization of anything, they would legalize it for the good of the people?