• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Aus - Call for drug testing stations at festivals to reduce deaths

poledriver

Bluelighter
1d83bea1c26cd546b4222980b759a065

THE approach to drugs at music festivals and clubs doesn’t work and will lead to more deaths unless pill testing is made available at festivals, an expert has told news.com.au.
Matt Noffs, chief executive officer of the Noffs Foundation, which works with young people with drug and alcohol problems, said the solution to preventing deaths was in education, not prohibition.

The warning follows a renewed call for drug testing stations at events, to check the content of pills, powders and tabs, after the death of Sylvia Choi at Sydney’s Stereosonic Festival at the weekend.
NSW Greens MLC David Shoebridge said radical measures were needed because festival-goers were continuing to take drugs of dubious origin.

“There have been too many deaths to stick with business as usual,” the upper house MP told news.com.au.
“It’s well past the time we had a grown-up conversation on harm reduction and that means moving beyond a purely law-and-order response to drugs.”

DRUG TESTING

Mr Shoebridge said amnesty bins should be provided at festivals where people could dump drugs without fear of prosecution and testing stations should be set up inside venues so festival-goers could know what their stash really contained.
“Giving people accurate information on drugs is plain common sense, especially when we know they are being produced by criminals with no concern for what’s in them,” he said.

“Much of Europe and the UK have acknowledged drug testing kits are part of the solution to reduce harm, it’s only bloody-minded ideology from the police that is preventing their use in Australia,” Mr Shoebridge said.
In August, Canada’s Shambhala music festival offered a drug checking service where attendees could sacrifice a small piece of a pill or a sliver of a tab to check its contents, reported Mixmag.

CUT WITH DEADLY DRUGS

In September, a Vice magazine journalist tested the illegal stashes of partygoers at the UK’s Bestival music event. While some drugs were indeed what people were expecting, others were little more than indigestion and heartburn pills crushed together. Far more worrying, the test results also revealed some ecstasy pills appeared to be cut with para-Methoxyamphetamine, or PMA, a far stronger and more toxic drug than MDMA, which may have been responsible for 100 deaths in the UK.

Noffs Foundation CEO Matt Noffs said it was time for a new approach.
“The reality is we know most young people have tried illicit substances and many of those will have used ecstasy,” Mr Noffs told news.com.au.

“‘Say no to drugs’ doesn’t work … and to think that our laws are blindly pushing through hoping it will work is foolhardy and is costing young lives. Harm reduction is much more effective.”
In a small online twitter survey of 1000 people, conducted by Mr Noffs just days before Stereosonic, he found 72 per cent of people favoured pill testing over drug dogs.

HOW MANY DEATHS?

Mr Noffs criticised the police’s zero-tolerance approach to cracking down on illicit substances.
“The police should be about saving lives, not exacerbating the issue,” he said.

“How many deaths are we going to have by January and whose hands should it be on?
“Some will say the [responsibility is with the] young people taking them, but we’re talking about children mostly and while I don’t want my children using ecstasy, harm reduction measures and education can reduce the harm of and reduce the use of drugs.”

Commenting after the death of Mr Pauljevic in September, emergency physician and illicit drug use expert David Caldicott said drug checking had been proven to minimise death and injuries overseas.
At many European festivals, people queued three deep to get their drugs tested to check for their purity, the University of Canberra associate professor told

“As many as half say they would bin dodgy drugs; it quite clearly changes people’s opinions. There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind it’s saving lives and saving hospitalisations.”
Prof Caldicott shrugged off criticism drug checking could actually encourage people to take drugs.
“The consuming of illicit drugs is a matter of fact. The idea you can stop it happening is nonsense,” he said. “What we need to do is try and reduce the harm associated with it — it’s not surrender because it was never a viable war.”

OPEN TO NEW IDEAS

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, whose state will host the dance music festival next weekend, said she was open to exploring drug testing stations.
Ms Palaszczuk urged fans attending Stereosonic in Brisbane this weekend to be responsible.

“Go out and have a good time. But what we have seen is that there can be tragic consequences when drugs are involved,” she said.
The Premier said she would consider calls for drug-testing kits at festivals so revellers would know what was in the substances they were taking.

NO SAFE WAY TO TAKE DRUGS

But the father of Sydney teenager Anna Wood, who died in 1995 after taking an ecstasy pill, argues there are no safe ways to take drugs.
Tony Wood said the tragedy of his daughter’s death had been forgotten.

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...s/news-story/51c0b81315dd2593ad9878f99e8f0aa7

Lol, I thought the headline meant they were actually testing the people for drugs at the festival..... That would be insane but this is great.

I was thinking... if this became a regular thing at festivals how awesome would it be if the person testing all those pills put the results up on Pillreports? There would be so many bloody results. If it was made a regular thing at clubs and events it could overall make taking pills so much safer... following regulation obv

I usually avoid everything ACA related, but I thought I would have a look at that video. I had no idea Vienna had set-up these testing booths at events in the city, although I'm not surprised either.. Europe as a whole has traditionally been much more forward-thinking and sensible when it comes to social issues. I was however surprised that ACA gave that perspective air-time and consideration.

Having lived in both Europe and Australia perhaps the biggest difference of note I noticed although definitely not limited too is the application of force and regulations. There's much more respect for younger people and much more freedom given when it comes to events, alcohol and general night-life in Europe. I suspect however that this is strongly tied in with the culture.. Australian culture is very much 'work hard, play hard' and when you combine that with a zealous police force and government policy that is totally uncompromising it becomes catastrophic.

The more you restrict a societies freedoms the greater they will react, the more desperate they will become and as a result the more force that will be applied; its a vicious cycle feeding into itself.

This is a step in the right direction. When police are coming and you have drugs in your pocket and you think they are going to search you what is your natural reaction? Eat them so you don't get into trouble because drug offences tend to have an incredibly bad financial, and legal impact on ones life. That drug arrest will follow you forever in the states and really limit what you can do.

Testing is the right way. Drug dogs aren't going to keep people from eating a bad dose. However, knowing that the dose could possibly cause you to become ill, will in fact. When I used to go to lots of parties in the NE united states my friends and I acquired our drugs before we went. We tested them to make sure they were okay. This lead to us all having a much better time than being hassled by security and cops...security isn't so bad. Cops on the other hand will ruin your night, and many other nights in the future.

I was thinking... if this became a regular thing at festivals how awesome would it be if the person testing all those pills put the results up on Pillreports? There would be so many bloody results. If it was made a regular thing at clubs and events it could overall make taking pills so much safer... following regulation obv

This actually used to happen, right here in Australia. A harm reduction group called Enlighten went to raves and festivals (in the 90's) and would test pills at the events and publish the results later on on their website. Of course the authorities demanded they stop or they would face serious legal action, so they had to stop. Sadly.

Sniffer dogs should not be used at Melbourne’s Stereosonic, Sex Party MP says

2f9b74768f227c9eaf06ba722422d250

SNIFFER dogs should not be deployed at a Melbourne music festival this weekend, according to an Upper House MP.

Sex Party member Fiona Patten has called on Premier Daniel Andrews and Police minister Wade Noonan to call off the canines at the Stereosonic Music Festival at the Melbourne Show grounds.

The call comes after Sylvia Choi a 25-year-old qualified pharmacist, died on November 28 after taking ecstasy at Stereosonic at Sydney Olympic Park.

A further 120 people were treated for the effects of drugs and nine were hospitalised, including a 22-year-old woman who was placed in an induced coma.

Ms Patten warned dogs prompted festival goers to take larger quantities of drugs before arriving or buying from unknown people at the grounds.

“All they do is encourage attendees to take multiple doses of drugs that they may have bought to the event to avoid detection and that is just plain dangerous,’’ she said.

“A better solution would be to have no passive alert detection dogs at all and provide patrons with a safe way to test the substances they are considering consuming.’’

“The Premier should ‘call off the dogs’, if he wants to save lives,”.

A Government spokesman said “the use of sniffer dogs is an operational matter for Victoria Police.’’

Australian Drug Law Reform Foundation President Dr Alex Wodak has argued drug checking devices should replace drug sniffer dogs which appear not to be working.

“The use of drug dogs has been increasing, and while it’s been increasing, the proportion of young people carrying drugs has actually gone up,” said Dr Wodak.

Stereosonic is expected to attract thousands of young festival goers with headline acts including Major Lazer and Peking Duk.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...s/news-story/dd6f993fde7cea08dfe6077534f2a651