• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Auditory Hallucinations While on Seroquel (Quetiapine)?

Michael_25

Bluelighter
I've noticed as of late that when my 400 mgs of IR Seroquel kicks in before bedtime, I hear voices, as in people conversing. I think it's coming from my neighbours in their homes. Occasionally I'll hear voices in my house, too. Mind you, this is usually at 2am or later, so everyone is asleep. Hence I know that what I'm experiencing are auditory hallucinations. I have never heard of such a side-effect from this drug.

I don't have a psychiatric illness, but the good doctor thinks otherwise. My psychiatrist wants me to start taking 200 mgs in the morning. To date I haven't done so. I'm very wary about taking this stuff during the day. For one reason (apart from not being psychiatrically ill) it's too sedating for day-time use, and since I'm not ill it's pointless. For another reason, if I'm having auditory hallucinations while this drug is in effect, then it's hardly going to help me with my so-believed "problems." I have not told my psych about this experience, because when I last visited him these experiences weren't transpiring. As I wrote earlier, this has been happening only as of late; that is, over the past week. My next appointment with my psych is in roughly 4 weeks. I'll mention it then. But for now, I'd like to know something from Bluelighters.

Has anyone on here who has taken Seroquel, and been in the midst of its effects, suffered from auditory hallucinations? This seems a very odd side-effect, since it is basically contradicting its supposed therapeutic effect. (There is only one reason I continue to take this drug: it helps me sleep.)

^ this? thats a really strange side effect! have you tried decreasing your dose?
I would not wait 4 weeks and talk to your psychiatrist asap. Side effects can linger for a while even after stopping the offending medication.

^ this? thats a really strange side effect! have you tried decreasing your dose?
I would not wait 4 weeks and talk to your psychiatrist asap. Side effects can linger for a while even after stopping the offending medication.
I agree it's very odd; I haven't read about such a side-effect. I haven't tried reducing my dose... Doctor's orders and all...

I was prescribed 700mg for the best part of a year before being switched to the extended release stuff. Before being put on it I experienced visual and minor auditory hallucination (I was full blown psychotic at that point) While prescribed, it really helped me. I'm no doctor but I'd say try getting a higher dosage to take at night time before switching/quitting, I know how annoying that sedated feeling is. It won't do you any harm and if the voices carry on you can just stop talking them.

On another note, a few times I took an entire slide of quet. at once (10x300mg) just for shits and giggles (I would strongly recommend you DON'T do this in retrospect).
Experienced auditory hallucinations like you claim OP, I also experienced vivid visual ones too, a few times I thought I was seeing people crowding in the rooms of my house. Also saw a dark figure walking past my bed at night. Heart rate gets way too high, thought my heart would beat out of my chest, I've never had my heart beat like that (even after intense nights on md or phet, or just harsh excercise). And started sweating buckets for no reason, I wasn't even doing any physical excercise. I don't know how the hell this happened from something that's supposed to stop all this, but maybe it's something similar to what you've got.

I also take 400mg of seroquel at night (as well as 100mg twice during the day) and when I take my nightly dose and I don't fall asleep right away I also experience auditory hallucinations like you do.

Is this stuff stimulating in high doses or something? ive taken the quil twice first time was 300mg and before it knocked me the fuck out shit was in slow motion and tracer like and the second time was 100mg it just knocked me out for a while.i have no mental problems besides some social anxiety

It's possible that it's the serequel causing this. I posted a thread earlier about how I've been having some undesirable hallucinations from Benadryl, and serequel is I'm pretty sure also an anticholinergic drug, so it can probably produce some delirium

Same thing happened to me. Have you ever experienced a benadryl "trip"? That's exactly how I felt every time I took my dose of seroquel. Full blown visual and auditory hallucinations, extreme paranoia, and delirium. I hate that shit.

This thread scares me. That shit seems fairly common, I've taken it and it's STRONG, 60mg (ish, just over half a 100mg) knocks me out and even gives me a smooth mood lift the next day, and I know stupid doctors prescribe HUGE doses of this, taken daily, which makes me wonder what problems these patients may have eventually. Especially considering it sounds like some people WOULD be hallucinating EVERY NIGHT if they were conscious (look 4 posts above mine), but are completely unaware of this heavily altered state because they're knocked the fuck out. 600mg a day is a fucking massive dose, maby get it lowered Kenny?

Stupid doctors over prescribing, I see it in so many different forms.... SSRIs, ADDERALL, this.. but hey I guess if you start them with too much they'll get a tolerance and need even more to get to that old (nice and high) state they were originally getting, so more drugs get sold! Not that I think many doctors would do that just to help those pharm. companies, I just think there's lots of really, really stupid doctors out there (based on all the people I know prescribed way too much of whatever drug, and with my many personal experiences with doctors!). Maby they should see what 40mg Vyvanse does to them, before prescribing 60mg to a 12 year old. I'll shut up now!

I am on 400mg at night and 100mg during the day of Seroquel (instant-release) and find that when I fight to stay awake I have a combination of auditory hallucinations and objects in my line of vision take on that "glimmer" you get when on shrooms or a very-high dose of Benadryl.

I experience the exact same thing. I take 200 mgs at night only. I also hear things like people talking. I have no mental illness. I only take it to sleep. One night it sound like I could hear 2 radio djs talking and I heard music. I noticed it got real bad if there was a fan or the dishwasher running. I am unsure why this is a side effect of this meds. but after seeing someone besides myself has experience the same thing I know it is a side effect. I have been taking seroquel since I was a teenager. I am 33 yrs old now. I have had it happen to me a lot. But the funny thing is it did not happen in my teens it started when I was about 23. But just to confirm you are not alone it is the meds causing you to hear that.