• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Atypical ADHD and MDMA

A

AnonADHD

I suffer from co-morbid atypical ADHD and bipolar. What this means is my ADD is the slow kind (day dreams, staring, poor memory) and my bipolar is the depressive type (maniacs are frustration and agitation, lows are heavy depression and lethargy). It took a long time to be correctly diagnosed and I am unable to use the usual stimulants as medication due to the side effects.

What I've noticed with MDMA is that when I've had it pure (no synthetic energy, able to sleep after), I experience an after effect of feeling really grounded and less 'dreamy' for the next few days. It's happened a few times and recently I've been able to be sure it's not anything added to a pill.
The result is better than any stimulant medication I've tried and does not come with the side effects. In fact I don't seem to suffer from the drainage or emotional rebound others on identical doses experience the next day.

I'm wondering if there is anyone else who has had similar experiences?
Furthermore I'd love to know if there has been any research in to MDMA in this field and any possible long term side effects of micro-dosing.
It has been difficult to speak to any medical professionals about it, they are always negative or digress from answering directly (I cannot blame them as it is probably a liability on thier part).
I'm not about to start self medicating without exhaustive research so if anyone has any constructive information about this topic I would be greatly appreciative. This condition is severe enough to interfere with not only work but day to day life and relationships.
Thank you
-anon

You may have serotonin imbalances in your brain. MDMA will make this exponentially worse if you keep taking it. The grace period is very temporary and I can tell you from experience you're only making things worse by rolling. SSRI's really helped me with a similar condition.

While I think long term MDAI (developed by Dave Nichols) microdosing is much more feasible than MDMA microdosing, I believe MDAI microdosing still has long term risks and as such wasn't pursued for a therapeutic indication.

One of the issues with SSRIs is that there can be an initial decrease in serotonin cell firing in cortex (this is not true for deeper brain layers) because of activation of homeostatic autoreceptors - this takes some time to desensitize so that serotonin levels can really increase therein.

Serotonin releasing agents like MDAI and MDMA offer distinct advantages because they bypass the autoreceptors - when they cause the serotonin transporters to reverse direction and spill serotonin out into the synapse, the signaling that happens downstream by serotonin binding to serotonin receptors located post-synaptically or by non-synaptic volume transmission to other synapses can take place regardless of autoreceptor activation.

Whereas with SSRIs, all the reuptake inhibition does is increase the serotonin that has already been released into the cleft via natural release (vesicles containing serotonin fusing with the pre-synaptic membrane after the cell reaches action potential).

Because autoreceptors disable this natural pre-synaptic release of serotonin, serotonin releasing agents provide more immediate benefits because they force serotonin out of the pre-synaptic neuron without regard for vesicles fusing with the membrane (which can be disabled by pre-synaptic autoreceptors).

An issue with MDMA is that it is a VMAT2 inhibitor - Vesicular MonoAmine Transporters normally package up the neurotransmitters in the cytosol of the cell and sequester them in vesicles that can then fuse with the membrane, but MDMA causes serotonin to essentially leak out of the vesicles and build up in the cytosol, where it can then efflux out by a reversed serotonin transporter (induced by MDMA). Vesicular depletion and changes to VMAT2 could be a long term concern.

There may be similar benefits to long term SSRI administration as you can see with short term use of releasing agents, but it will take some time to get there due to autoreceptor desensitization.

In addition, phasic release of serotonin may be signaling aversively, while tonic serotonin signaling could modulating the larger network activity of the brain.

Tonic serotonin may downregulate the receptors that participate in facilitating phasic signaling of serotonin while activating autoreceptors that would disrupt phasic signaling, but I would expect this to take some time on SSRIs. SSRIs also may not induce addiction related neuroplasticity like that can be seen with serotonin releasing agents.

However, there are concerns with SSRIs causing mania which means that poly-pharmacy is often utilized when giving a bipolar patient anti-depressants.
Hope this was helpful, any questions are welcome.

I got ADHD to mate its not nice and I experience these effects after MD aswell, I just can never sleep either.

maybe ritalin and MDAI

low dose

dopamine and nor-epinephrine re-uptake inhibition and serotonin release

best of both worlds and very low side effect profilr

I mean you really have to take a shit-ton of MDAI to get past couch lock (like 300-400mg -- yes I speak from experience)