ATTN: paraphernalia charge ADVICE NEEDED

Rifkala

Bluelighter
my school found a bong in our dorm room, and nobody wants to tell the school who it belongs to/where it came from/etc. while it was found in our room, can we be charged by the school's judicial office (and, thereby, the police) for possession of paraphernalia? also, can they charge all of us for the crime if nobody confesses?

in a related note: some of us are trying to become doctors, and others teachers. does anyone know how such a minor offense would impact finding a job in these careers?

need info stat, please respond!!

Is there illegal resin in the bong, or is it clean? Perhaps tobacco residue? Muslim cultures are known to ingest tobacco with hookahs. Are there any paraphernalia statutes in the college codes that would proscribe such a device that was devoid of illegal residues?

I wouldn't know how to answer your question unless I saw the student code. I'm sure somewhere on your school's homepage there's a place where you can find the Code Of Conduct (or whatever it may be called). Possession of a bong in real world terms isn't that grave of a charge if I can recall properly. They'll definitely confiscate the bong (if they haven't already) and likely will do a detailed search of your room (again, if they haven't done that already.)

I honestly can't give you a specific answer unless I knew your school's code and the laws of the state in which you live. It's different in each state. Although, I don't think paraphernalia is as serious as possession of actual drugs.

You'll probably just get a fine, maybe some community service, and a mark on your record. As to if that'll affect your future jobs, I really don't know, it depends on if the employer will care. It'd be best for the person who actually owned that bong to step forward and claim responsibility if all of you are going to be charged, unless the ownership / use of that bong was communal.

I suggest the guy majoring in "sculpture" take the rap considering future employers won't give a flying fuck if he has a pot rap on his record, and it may even enhance his employment prospects... ;)

(j/k of course)

For now, I would recommend keeping your mouth shut. The semester is probably almost over for you. If you all keep your mouths shut, they may get lazy and drop the investigation in lieu of "more important" work, etc.

When / if someone gets charged, NJ probably not a big deal. Community service and court fees like someone said. With a good lawyer and the right judge it's very probable that you can get a continuance or similar assuming (i.e. no conviction) you have no priors.

I suggest the guy majoring in "sculpture" take the rap considering future employers won't give a flying fuck if he has a pot rap on his record, and it may even enhance his employment prospects... ;)

(j/k of course)

All joking aside, the owner of the bong needs to man the fuck up and take responsibility for it otherwise all of you will be charged. When I lived on campus 13 years ago, a guy got caught with a bong and he got kicked out of the dorms. I can't remember if he got expelled or not, but it was considered a pretty serious offense by my university.

If it was a communal bong, I still suggest one person "jump on the grenade" and take the charge for it. The rest of your group can chip in and help pay the fines. Ignoring it will NOT make it go away. Good luck.

Firstly, I'm sure there is a way for you and your friends to get free and confidential legal advice. Also, has this been discussed with the parents....chances are someone has had some experience with a minor pot charge. Understand that anything said between you and a legal representative, even during a free consultation, cannot be used against you in court. But, anything you say to another person or anything your friends know can be used against you. So, any agreement of one of your friends to take the blame for a communal bong depends upon your loosest mouth friend not cracking!!!! Of course, you do need to find out what the worst your school could do to you for possession of the bong and if they would pass it on for state charges. If the paraphenalia charges in your state are misdermeaner charges....then there is an issue. You want to avoid these charges if possible. It is possible that a lawyer could negoiate that there are no misdermeaner charges. Also, it is possible that the state charges are just a violation, similiar to a traffic violation, where you just have to pay a fine and there is no real record of the charge....unless you get busted with pot again.

Good luck discussing this with the parents!!!!

Are you in the shithole known as New Jersey (sorry New Jersey Housewives)? If so, possession of drug paraphernalia is a municipal violation. If this is your first offense, you will likely get off with a ridiculous fine, probation with drug screens, and community service. The charges would likely be dropped at the end of your probation, and then you can apply to have them expunged from your record. This is what happened to me.

The tricky part is professional licensure. New Jersey is an absolute bitch when it comes to this petty crap. You can't even be a nurse's aid if you've shoplifted a lipstick. You may be required to disclose your arrest when you apply for a medical, teaching license, etc. If it's just your school that gets involved then it won't be an issue, and if the charges are expunged from your record, then you do not have to disclose.