• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ativan and Cipro

Adam_Jensen

Greenlighter
Just wondering if there are any interactions with Ativan and Cipro? Are they safe to take together?

There are no reported interactions between these two so taken as directed, you should be fine.
Welcome to Bluelight. :)

TECHNICALLY, cipro effects the CNS, so if your epileptic, I would consider changing antibiotics, as it uncompetitively inhibits GABA-A, abd can reduce the effects of Benzodiazepines

It’s surprising, well at least to me, that thus side effect isn’t more well known

Many, if not most NSAIDS also have been demonstrated more than once to have a, IIRC, a dose dependant, reduction of Benzodiazepine effects, it’s probably just mild enough the average person wouldn’t notice unless they are overtaking their NSAID(s)

I still think caution should be exercised, and the CNS effects of the quinolone (*) antibiotics and cipro in particular, are more well documented, and if your epileptics, proceed with some caution, maybe find if half the dose has any descirnable effects

I was reading about the effects of the GABA receptors and that Cipro and benzos share the same space or something like that. I never did take the Ativan and just waited and now I am done with the Cipro. Mostly hearing it's OK but some say it is very harmful but I didn't wanna take any chances just in case lol.

When combinations are in question, I use a site called drugs.com. They have a helpful drug interaction feature. However, if you have any doubts, it's best to double check with your prescriber.