• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin asthma and heroin

Znegative

Bluelight Crew
Im sad to say that I've been back on heroin again for about a week now after switching on to subs and swearing never to shoot that brown shit into my veins again.
But mistakes happen (seems a lot with me). and now I've found myself in this situation again. The only good thing that I can report, is the constant switching from heroin to subxone, and then suboxone to heroin, seems to have really lowered my tolerance, which I cant understand at all.

Anyway, on to the topic of this thread. All my life I have been an asthmatic, and have visitedthe hospital many many times after doing heroin, and then waking up, pracitcally unable to breath
The funny thing is that it only seems to be effective in certain opiates. I've never had this problem with methadone, hydrocodone, or oxy. just dope and oxymorphone.

basically, I thought I had kind of grown out of this mentality, but in the last few days, I've been finding myself waking up in the middle of the night struggling to breath, and needing to use my steroid inhailer. I cant describe how horrible an asthma attack can be, especially waking up to one.

The weird thing is that I always feel almost 100 percent better after doing a shot of heroin, wheni would think that it would just sho j

i dont have asthma , but whenever i been indulging in the paper i seem to wheeze a lot more and have shortness of breath

OP...Minus the H, i felt like you described. My breathing was worse than it had been in years. 3 days passed and I got to the point where i felt like i was breathing through water.
i blamed the cold dry air, my smokes and allergies...day 5 i developed a fever...turns out i have a nasty respiratory infection.

Please be aware that u too may be sick with a chest infection.

Heroin, like many opiates, is an awesome cough suppressant and analgesic...it's use can and will mask most symptoms associated with a chest infection. Please see a doctor if u suspect u may be having asthma attacks because u are sick. because H causes respiratory depression and u have asthma, a chest infection can hit you hard enough that the combination could be fatal. Please be careful.

With me its the same way heroin is the only opiate that has me runnning for my inhaler but only when i snort it.
I never had asthma as a kid i got it from doin dope.
I didnt even know that was possible.
The docter said that theres a small percentage of ppl that there lungs are allergic to dope or somethin like that.
When i do oc's or opana i can snort them no problem n i do not get attacks from them its weird.

^a small percentage of people's lungs are allergic to heroin? i dont buy that doctors say alot of stupid things.

people also develop athsma later in life without doing any drugs, so i'd say it has fuck all to do with you doing heroin and your doctors an idiot.

Smoking heroin and having asthma is dangerous because heroin suppresses the respiratory system so if you had an asthma attack you would not even know and die. I just found this out yesterday. My husband is in the hospital for pneumonia and he has asthma and has been smoking heroin.

Be careful Z, I had a friend die from a massive asthma attack that was more than likely brought on from using H. Although he was a sniffer which is probably much worse than IV in an asthmatic. But the way he died was kinda similar to what you describe. He woke up having a massive asthma attack that inhalers wouldn't help, so his sister called an ambulance & prepared his nebulizer. By the time she did that he was already passed out & blue from lack of oxygen. The ambulance got there pretty quickly but he never made it to the hospital. Stick to the subs if you can & at a stable daily dose. That should dramatically cut back the asthma attacks once your body adjusts to your dosage. I can definitely sympathize with you though, I've sworn off dope a thousand times only to find myself tied off with a needle in my arm shortly after.

That is terrifying, my husband is in the hospital as we speak with a tube in bc he also suffered a massive attack last night brought on by h & this is the second time this year its happened, 1st from sniffing& he switched to shooting to help it which overall it has but this time he ignored all advice to go to er until his breathing became really bad so we had to call an ambulance. It's scary but I think some ppl have a sensitivity to how dope effects the opioid receptors on the lungs which must trigger it. He never had asthma attacks before doing dope either

Sorry to ping a really old thread, but I thought I should keep this nearer the top of search results. I too had a run in with what I guess is some form of heroin allergy. I initially ignored it as I read a lot of things some even by medical professionals that it was so rare as to be not worth considering. In hindsight I expect medical professionals get pissed off with people who think because it makes them itch they are allergic to it (philistines!).. though in my case and like the others in this thread I'm athsmatic and so sometimes minor allergic reactions can result in very severe breathing problems. In the case of heroin it's delayed by about 3 hours so might be due to a metabolite or may not even be an allergy though it does produce very mild hives. One thing is clear though, which is if I keep smoking it only gets worse both within a session and over time. Eventually I actually managed to trigger a nebulizer resistant athsma attack though avoided hospital thanks to a big bag of amphetamine I had. I couldn't come down for 3 days though or the athsma returned .. that was a pretty close call and is the worst athsma attack I've had since I was 7. I haven't touched heroin since.

If you think you've got this problem, then I'd take it seriously. I had a long period of thinking I had a food intolerance or something before the allergy finally upped it's game and I don't get this with any other opiate I've tried so substitution is definitely to be recommended. Unfortunately the only widely available cost effective alternative illicit opiates are fentanyl analogues but if you have an allergy like mine they are almost certainly safer for you provided care is taken. If you can get oxy or morphine then all the better, or just put yourself on a methadone program - though it may be easier to do this if you don't tell them you are allergic to H. Remember most countries drug laws are about causing harm .. not harm prevention and even well meaning medical professionals have no license to save recreational users lives by prescribing opiates for recreational use and most just won't believe you anyway as it's easier than trying to resolve the contradiction.

And finally, I obviously don't condone using stimulants to treat severe asthma unless you're 10 hours from civilisation and it's just you and a massive bag of amphetamine. Effective solution if you already have a speed habit of course, but not all stimulants work and sometimes they can even make it worse especially if they cause you anxiety.