• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Assessing Trump’s Promises About Opioids

poledriver

Bluelighter
Assessing Trump’s Promises About Opioids

At a recent conference on prescription pill and heroin addiction, a parade of federal agency heads promised new projects—and support from the president.

By Francie Diep -

uQNgbx0.png

President Donald Trump cares.

That was the message from an array of officials who spoke at a major conference this week about prescription painkiller and heroin addiction in America. In addition, a couple of top leaders promised progress on projects such as making naloxone, the opioid overdose-reversing drug, available over the counter.

More than 50,000 Americans died of drug overdoses in 2015, including more than 33,000 who died with prescription painkillers or heroin in their systems, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s latest numbers. Drug overdose rates in America have increased by 33 percent since 2010, and still appear to be rising. Since Trump’s election, researchers and public-health workers have been watching anxiously to see what the federal government will do to try to stem the tide.

But how will administration officials keep all these promises?

“I want to state very clearly that this is a pro-treatment administration,” Richard Baum, the acting director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, said during his speech at the National Rx Abuse & Heroin Summit. This is a turnaround: Traditionally, American policy has been to incarcerate those charged with drug-use crimes, and about one in five Americans who think they need treatment for a substance-use disorder report that they don’t get it.

“He opened up with treatment. We’re on the same page here. Trump agrees,” says conference-goer Dan Ciccarone, a physician and researcher at the University of California–San Francisco with self-described “Democratic, liberal” leanings. “That was great. That alone made me relax.”

“There’s been some indication that progress might be reversed through Trump,” says Lisa Roberts, a public-health nurse for Scioto County in Ohio and a Republican who — like many experts, regardless of politics — liked the Obama administration’s approach to drug policy and worried about a change in administration. But, after the conference, Roberts says, “I felt like Trump had some advisors who may be able to point him in the right direction.”

Continued -

https://psmag.com/assessing-trumps-promises-about-opioids-484aae1a9c7

While I would love to see the current administration get more serious about this issue, I don't have high hopes at all. What they are doing with potentially gutting a lot of the healthcare infrastructure that sprung up during the Obama administration makes me believe I won't see much happen (at least not much that is positive) any time soon. It's all a matter of funding for this kind of thing, and the GOP isn't known for allocating resources to public health issues (they are known for the opposite!).

AFAIC this is all rhetoric and posturing geared at raising their dismal approval rating.

While I would love to see the current administration get more serious about this issue, I don't have high hopes at all. What they are doing with potentially gutting a lot of the healthcare infrastructure that sprung up during the Obama administration makes me believe I won't see much happen (at least not much that is positive) any time soon. It's all a matter of funding for this kind of thing, and the GOP isn't known for allocating resources to public health issues (they are known for the opposite!).

AFAIC this is all rhetoric and posturing geared at raising their dismal approval rating.

With Jeff Sessions we are going to see a return to the lock em up policy of yesteryear. Why journalists think drug courts are a good thing is beyond me.

This was my belief as well. And I doubt we will see anything other than the absolute shit show horror from the Vice President that the state of affairs of his home state. Highest rate of HIV infection in the US... fucking hell 8)

That is what I'm saying. Under Pence Indiana didn't allocate any significant amount of resources to a public health approach to substance use disorder or related issues like HIV (well, at least not until things had gotten pretty out of control), merely relying on the Nixon/Reagan era DLE/public safety approach to the issue of drug policy as you indicated. I don't see why Pence would do an about face and force his party to allocate more funds to public health measures just because he is no vice president.

Now, I would LOVE to see his party change their tact in terms of drug policy. I don't give a shit whether one is labeled conservative or liberal, republican or democrat. If someone is willing to actually increase funding for a public health approach to tackling drug policy, I'm all for it. But funding is where the rubber meets the road with politics, so I like to look to track records as opposed to rhetoric.