• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

ASIA PACIFIC Philippines' Duterte pulls police off drug war

Hiltoniano

Bluelighter
MANILA: Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said Tuesday (Jan 31) he had ordered all police to stop prosecuting his deadly war on drugs as he sought to cleanse the force of widespread corruption.

However the crackdown, which has seen more than 6,000 people killed in seven months, was set to continue with Duterte ordering the military and a drug enforcement agency under the president's office to carry on.

"I have ordered the police to stop all operations," Duterte said during a speech to give military awards at the presidential palace.

"No policemen in this country anywhere is allowed to enforce laws related to the drug campaign."

Duterte's comments came a day after he described the police force as "corrupt to the core", following a series of scandals in which officers were accused of using the drug war as cover for murder, kidnapping, robbery and extortion.

Duterte said then he planned to "cleanse" the police force before allowing it to return to the drug war frontlines, while in the meantime the Drug Enforcement Agency would take the lead with the support of the military.

Duterte also on Monday extended the timeframe for his drug war until the end of his term in 2022. Previously he had imposed a deadline of March this year.

Duterte won presidential elections last year after promising during the campaign to eradicate drugs in society by killing tens of thousands of people.

Since then, police have reported killing more than 2,550 people and nearly 4,000 others have died in unexplained circumstances, according to official figures.

Duterte had previously been unrepentant in the face of widespread international criticism of the drug war, including accusations the police were murdering people for their own gain and organising anonymous vigilante death squads.

He promised repeatedly to shield police from prosecution if they were charged with murder for killing in the drug war.

But the cascading number of scandals surrounding the police in recent weeks forced Duterte to act.

In one of the highest-profile scandals, anti-drug officers allegedly kidnapped a South Korean businessmen, then murdered him inside the national police headquarters as part of an extortion racket.

Amnesty International said Tuesday it expected the killings to continue regardless of Duterte's decision to pull police off the drug war.

"Even as the police claim to have halted their operations, President Duterte has pledged to continue his so-called 'war on drugs'," Amnesty International's crisis response director Tirana Hassan said in a statement.

"These contradictory statements offer little hope that the wave of extrajudicial executions that has claimed more than a thousand lives a month will end."

This guy is insane. He is the one using the drug war as a cover for murder. Now he is going to use it as an excuse to set up an authoritarian military dictatorship.

what do you expect when laws are being made second hand by delusional hallucinating desert cave men that lived 2000 years ago

This fucking twat is a real piece of work.

Get this: If I recall correctly, he recently admitted that he has been using Fentanyl, and that he's had issues with upping his dosage without his prescribing doctor being aware of it.

Also, it is well-known that the extrajudicial killings taking place throughout the Philippines is readily being exploited by residents looking for an excuse to kill fellow citizens whom they hate, for whatever reason(s). Estimates claim this percentage of murders to be as high as 40%. Nevertheless, the aforementioned, hypocritical piece of shit appears as if he couldn't care less.

I understand that there is a huge problem with 'Shabu' abuse in the nation, but regardless, not only allowing-but-encouraging this draconian vigilante 'justice' is crude, reckless and shall end up exactly like the war on drugs: causing more damage and destruction to society than the drugs themselves ever would have if appropriately dealt with.

For the sake of countless innocent families residing in the Philippines who've never touched illegal drugs before in their lives, this two-faced contradiction of a cunt, and his fucked up vendetta, both need to be kicked to the curb a.s.a.p.

This guy is a fucking lunatic. With this guy in charge of the Philippines imagine how western tourist who would normally travel on Holidays to the Philippines for a tropical get away would be turned off going there. As much as the women in the Philippines turn me on with their sexy accents and tanned skin i would never consider Holidaying there. I just wouldn't feel safe travelling there/

It's sad the Phillipino's i have meet have always been the most lovely people. The Philippines need a leader who is going to try and lift the poor out of poverty while stamping out the inherit corruption that exists is this country.