Supplements Ashwagandha basic questions

what dose did you take?

I also noticed a very real GABAergic effect, but at the dose I took the side effects outweighed the benefits.

also ashwaghanda is definitely best cycled, not taken every day

one week on two weeks off something like that

it has some very significant biochemical changes in the body

it seems to have several potent actions on the body from GABA to cortisol to hormones, etc

Originally, I used a product called "Golden Mellow" that was a blend of ashwagandha, turmeric, and some other spices. It did not indicate dosage. Strangely, I found that product was more effective than the capsules from NOW brand that contained 450 mg.

I ordered some of the KSM-66 variety to try, as that seems to be what is most frequently discussed in research.

My effects seem to have changed today. I had 3 days of super positive effects, but am back to feeling shitty so who knows.

Originally, I used a product called "Golden Mellow" that was a blend of ashwagandha, turmeric, and some other spices. It did not indicate dosage. Strangely, I found that product was more effective than the capsules from NOW brand that contained 450 mg.

I ordered some of the KSM-66 variety to try, as that seems to be what is most frequently discussed in research.

My effects seem to have changed today. I had 3 days of super positive effects, but am back to feeling shitty so who knows.
I've only used KSM, as I suppose it's the strongest

it suggests taking 600mg, yet I felt like crap for several hours afterwards likely due to it's negative serotonin effects (mainly just dysphoria / lack of appetite)

I can tolerate 300mg better, but I definitely only take this stuff at night due to its side effects

Ashwaghanda gives me a little zoned out buzz for a couple hours, making me spaced out and slightly lethargic. There were times when taking it daily that I thought it increased muscle and cardio endurance a little on long runs, but looking back I think that was placebo.

How much ashwagandha (normal grounded root, no extract or blend) is one supposed to take to feel something? Do I need to take it daily for effects to manifest? So far I did maybe 4g and felt absolutely nothing. Chance is that my stuff is bunk but it's from an otherwise reliable source.

I don't take SSRIs currently so serotonin syndrome shouldn't be a problem.

How much ashwagandha (normal grounded root, no extract or blend) is one supposed to take to feel something? Do I need to take it daily for effects to manifest? So far I did maybe 4g and felt absolutely nothing. Chance is that my stuff is bunk but it's from an otherwise reliable source.

I don't take SSRIs currently so serotonin syndrome shouldn't be a problem.
Are you taking bulk powder or a standardized extract (KSM-66)?

600-900mg of KSM-66 ashwagandha would give me very noticeable effects

I don't know the proper dose of non-standardized regular powder

It's not like a high or anything, it can be somewhat subtle, but when you feel it you definitely feel something, it generally made me quite drowsy, there was also a noticeable reduction in anxiety and stress for at least 3-4 hours

also, it definitely builds up in your system and has a "reverse tolerance", after taking it daily for 1-2 weeks I felt the full effects, it gets stronger

Bulk powder from a local supplier, nothing standardized. It has a rooty taste. Still, weird that I don't feel anything from 4g. I'll try daily dosing probably. Since I got off SSRI I could use something a little relaxing.

Bulk powder from a local supplier, nothing standardized. It has a rooty taste. Still, weird that I don't feel anything from 4g. I'll try daily dosing probably. Since I got off SSRI I could use something a little relaxing.
yeah, I wouldn't give up on it yet

keep trying it for maybe a week or so and see if you get any effects

I found ashwagandha to be dysphoric, pretty strongly so. Do you guys like it? Tried different dosages from tiny to huge but all I got was a weird sensation and dysphoria.buy

About T, there's this TOT bible book which has a ton of information about test replacement therapy and he says that nothing reliably increases test besides supplementing T (or using SARMS, maybe - I don't fully understand them yet).

Recently tried the only product available here, gel with 50mg T per dose, and got some nice energy and increase in libido but it's too expensive to continue without end :(
buying extracts of adaptogens is a waste of time,
I noticed that with adaptogens the best way to get the benefits it's with the non-extracted form, so plain raw powder/leaf/root/whatever.
I noticed that with rhodiola, ginseng, ashwagandha...
Felt "dysphoric" with ashwagandha a couple times, but I wouldn't call it dysphoric, is more a "I-don't-give-a-fuck-ness" feeling, or anhedonia as Snafu has said, is like I don't want to do anything while on it. That's why I only use it in 2 occasions: withdrawing from kratom and when I need to get asleep as soon as possible, it knocks me down when I take more than 4 grams of powder, but not always.
I also noticed that it balances a lot of stuff of my body so if I run low of testosterone it really helps me to recover (like when recovering from kratom low libido). It doesn't do anything if I'm ok, mucuna for example boost libido no matter what.

I found that bulk powder can vary A LOT in terms of intensity and even range of effects, some being only sedating, calm inducing, and others having more complex effects

the root powder i tried years ago gave me an edgy-calm if this can be a thing. couldnt do it for long and was trying any/all legal options to curb natural anxieties.

the root powder i tried years ago gave me an edgy-calm if this can be a thing. couldnt do it for long and was trying any/all legal options to curb natural anxieties.
Maybe that's what I experienced first when I tried the ashwa alongside Kratom and venlafaxine, a calm but weird feeling. But now alone without other stuff I can take 10g and still feel nothing besides maybe a little tiredness.

I'm trying now 5g (little heaped tablespoon) for a week and see whether I get other effects.

I'm not so anxious anymore but feel sort of uneasy and have intrusive, repetitive thoughts about things I failed in recent past. SSRIs didn't help, in fact I feel better without them. Dissociatives and stims (therapeutically) did help but I can't get either of them here and now besides DXM syrup which I don't tolerate anymore. I'm open for recommendations of other herbs (can't import chemical substances) which might help, so far I've tried Polygala, Kratom, Kava, St. John's Wort, 5-htp, all without much success.

Last edited:
Anybody else getting no effects at all from ashwagandha? What I reported first must have been placebo, the 100g's are gone now and even with 10g/d no effects at all. :( I had hopes for this but another legal bummer.

Anybody else getting no effects at all from ashwagandha? What I reported first must have been placebo, the 100g's are gone now and even with 10g/d no effects at all. :( I had hopes for this but another legal bummer.
have you changed your vendor?
do you use anything else daily?

have you changed your vendor?
do you use anything else daily?
It's my first ashwagandha, from an usually serious vendor but of course might be a weak product.
No other drugs currently. But my hunch is that it's related to high acquired dissociative tolerance which messes with quite some substances and takes ages to reverse itself.

It's my first ashwagandha, from an usually serious vendor but of course might be a weak product.
No other drugs currently. But my hunch is that it's related to high acquired dissociative tolerance which messes with quite some substances and takes ages to reverse itself.
If you don't feel "anything" with +4 grams then surely it's a weak product, good ashwagandha is noticeable at 2-3 grams!
Never heard about the disso cross tolerance stuff

Maybe that's what I experienced first when I tried the ashwa alongside Kratom and venlafaxine, a calm but weird feeling. But now alone without other stuff I can take 10g and still feel nothing besides maybe a little tiredness.

I'm trying now 5g (little heaped tablespoon) for a week and see whether I get other effects.

I'm not so anxious anymore but feel sort of uneasy and have intrusive, repetitive thoughts about things I failed in recent past. SSRIs didn't help, in fact I feel better without them. Dissociatives and stims (therapeutically) did help but I can't get either of them here and now besides DXM syrup which I don't tolerate anymore. I'm open for recommendations of other herbs (can't import chemical substances) which might help, so far I've tried Polygala, Kratom, Kava, St. John's Wort, 5-htp, all without much success.
If you DM me I can help you with you ashwa problem, ;)

I tried the pills (300mg, I think), but they really messed up my stomach for some reason. Luckily I've been going to the same health food store for about 30 years and know the manager very well, so she let me return them.

So I first learned of ashwagandha for it's gabaergic properties, but recently also learned it can give a huge natural T boost especially amongst older men.

This is 2 birds with one stone since I am on a tail end of a benzo taper and beginning a fitness journey.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Buy fresh powder or pills from the store? Daily dose?

Thanks for any tips
Atm moment its powder but I also used caps and extracts. And pieces of leaf, but prefer the plain micronized powder

Imo they all work. The most noticeable effects a raise in sexual thoughts and performance. General improvement of my mood and better sleep. It also erotizes my dreams a bit. One of the few supplements I actually befitted from and was noticeable in a good way.

Last edited:
Atm moment its powder but I also used caps and extracts. And pieces of leaf, but prefer the plain micronized powder

Imo they all work. The most noticeable effects a raise in sexual thoughts and performance. General improvement of my mood and better sleep. It also erotizes my dreams a bit. One of the few supplements I actually befitted from and was noticeable in a good way.
A bit offtopic, but replying also the guy you replied to..: something that has worked for me pretty intensely it's the mix tongkat ali + fenugreek powder,
I dose this way: 300mg tongkat ali extract in the morning, 6-8 grams of fenugreek powder in a smoothie in the afternoon, then another 300-400 tongkat ali extract.
you'll surely notice a big increase in testosterone or their suspected subjective effects: drive, confidence, aggresiveness/asertivity...
add some mucuna to the mix and you'll fly!

Ok

my reply is a bit vague imo. Part one is about kratom and part two about Ashwhanganda. Must be my age.