• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

artificial neural network creating hallucinatory images

This is absolutely incredible. Some of those images are unbelievably accurate descriptions of the OEV effects I experience on 25i and mushrooms to an extent. They're perfect for showing someone who hasn't tripped what OEVs/visual distortions from psychedelics are like :)

WOW!! 8o That's INCREDIBLE! Thanks for sharing!

I have always been convinced that psychedelics produce visuals by cranking up the edge-detection and image-recognition functions of the brain's visual processing systems, so that it finds meaningful shapes in meaningless noise. I think that these images are very psychedelic, not just because they look trippy, but because they are produced by essentially the same algorithm, in a computer instead of a brain!

I have always been convinced that psychedelics produce visuals by cranking up the edge-detection and image-recognition functions of the brain's visual processing systems, so that it finds meaningful shapes in meaningless noise. I think that these images are very psychedelic, not just because they look trippy, but because they are produced by essentially the same algorithm, in a computer instead of a brain!

I had similar thoughts. I thought about how pattern recognition enhancement and feedback looping give us visuals. This is the way these images are produced. Actually, not so surprising, since artificial neural networks are inspired by biological neural networks (central nervous sytems). But still incredibly awesome.

As some people said in the comments, imagine you generate this live on an Oculus Rift. Artificial visual tripping. :)

This is absolutely incredible. Some of those images are unbelievably accurate descriptions of the OEV effects I experience on 25i and mushrooms to an extent. They're perfect for showing someone who hasn't tripped what OEVs/visual distortions from psychedelics are like
smile.gif

The sky on the first two pictures in the first article reminds me of what the sky looks like to me on metocin. Except I don't see so much recognizable patterns. And more symmetry. And more fractals.

Last edited:

Word. I've been trying to figure out how to articulate what you just said since I read this thread earlier today. I think these algorithms are analogous to some of the ways the human brain digests visual information, and when you crank up the gain (in a human with drugs, or in these algorithms with parameters) these are the results.

Shaal said:
The sky on the first two pictures in the first article reminds me of what the sky looks like to me on metocin. Except I don't see so much recognizable patterns. And more symmetry. And more fractals.

I agree with seeing more fractals (not metocin specifically, PDs in general). I wonder if the symmetry is the result of having two images from our two eyes.

I agree with seeing more fractals (not metocin specifically, PDs in general). I wonder if the symmetry is the result of having two images from our two eyes.

I don't know...

I noticed I see two kinds of symmetry:

(1) an axial vertical symmetry (which splits the field of vision in two) when I look in front of me, looking very much like this; and

(2) a central symmetry when I stare up into the sky, which splits the field of vision in 3 or more (I tried to count but it is pretty confusing and I can't recall exactly), making it look like a kaleidoscope. It looks pretty much like this, except there is only one point of symmetry.

Also when looking at a texture I can see sometimes fractals that are positioned on it at regular intervals, and warp the texture. I saw this on my forehead once.