• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Arkansas governor to pardon son on drug charges

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe plans to pardon his son for a felony drug charge from more than a decade ago.

"It will probably be in the next few weeks," said Matt DeCample, a spokesman for the governor.

"For any pardons the governor does the person has to have finished all terms of their sentence ... and then had a period of time where they've shown they have straightened their lives out."

Kyle Beebe, who is now 34, was charged in 2003 with possession of a controlled substance -- marijuana -- with intent to deliver. He was fined and sentenced to three years supervised probation, according to CNN affiliate KATV.

The Arkansas Parole Board recommended the pardon last month. It came after Beebe wrote a lengthy letter to the governor in his pardon application.

"Mr. Governor, I am asking for a second chance at life. I am asking for a second chance to be the man that I know that I can be," Beebe said.

"At the time of my arrest I was living in a fantasy world, not reality. I was young and dumb. At that time in my life I felt like I was missing something and I tried to fill that emptiness by selling drugs."

The governor said his son has grown up a lot since those days.

cont at
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/13/politics/arkansas-governor-will-pardon-son/

While I am happy that one person who has been victimised by the drug war is going to be pardoned and live a better quality of life as a result, I am not very happy about the circumstances. This is a conflict of interest if I ever heard of one, unless this Governor has a strongly established history of pardoning non violent drug offenders this reeks of favoritism and clear bias.

I don't want to see anybody fucked over for exercising what I believe to be a basic human right, but I can't help but feel that when politicians, the ruling class and those with connections to them get off this easily it actually compounds the problem. When you give the people in power the ability to make these issues disappear for those they care about it prevents them from having to think of the issue on a deeper level.

Mike Beebe should be trying to implement a situation where everyone in the same position as his son is afforded the same consideration, not cherry pick who was living in a so called fantasy world and who was not.

^ Seriously? How about he reads through the rest of the letters of people trying to be pardoned and helps them out. This seems like an abuse of power to me.

I'm surprised the letter didn't start out-- dad, I'm sorry I smuggled some weed. I'm tired of being in prison, can you get me out now? Hah...

Must be nice to have Parents that can bend the rules on a grand scale.

He should do a mass pardon and set everyone who has made changes like his kid free from the life long burden as well.

Without question, I continue to believe the war on (certain) drugs is a giant war crime unto itself.

That being said, some of the shit these people - eventually - get away with is ridiculous when their fellow Americans doing time for similar crimes are left to rot as if they've been forgotten about.

Fucking bs fuck the system the richer you are the more above the law you are.

I was going to make an intelligent, informed comment that tries to balance the subtlities of this issue, but drug mentor has already done it for me, above.

This seems like a pretty blatant conflict of interest, but on the bright side:

Mike Beebe told KATV that he's done more than 700 pardons, mostly for nonviolent offenders.

he had already served his sentence (of 3 years probation) and it has been 11 years since the crime. this was simply to get his record cleared. if your dad had the power to do that wouldn't you hope he would do the same?

just saying. it wasn't like daddy busted him out of a lengthy prison sentence.

anyone has the same opportunity to get their record cleared after following the same protocols as he did. granted it is up to the politician in office at the moment to make the final decision, but everyone has the opportunity.

I don't hate him for it. (any more than I hate politicians already, that is.)

Maybe stupid question: What is it good for in his case to have a clean record?

He is the son of the governer. Guess a lot people would hire him easily without minding the record.
The parol is a political risk for his father. I dont see what benefit would be worth it.

he had already served his sentence (of 3 years probation) and it has been 11 years since the crime. this was simply to get his record cleared. if your dad had the power to do that wouldn't you hope he would do the same?

just saying. it wasn't like daddy busted him out of a lengthy prison sentence.

anyone has the same opportunity to get their record cleared after following the same protocols as he did. granted it is up to the politician in office at the moment to make the final decision, but everyone has the opportunity.

I don't hate him for it. (any more than I hate politicians already, that is.)

Everyone does not have the oppertunity you think if I wrote a letter to the govener he'd pardon me, let alone read it... Fuck no

Everyone does not have the oppertunity you think if I wrote a letter to the govener he'd pardon me, let alone read it... Fuck no

Why hate on the guy because his dad is handier around the house than yours? The son shouldn't be punished and not receive a pardon just because his father is governor. Like DP said, any good father would do the same thing.

Of course! Every family has their own shitty problems. In this case we all get to see it.