• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Are there any risks with low-dosing shrooms nightly or at least very frequently?

morphine-dreams

Bluelighter
I have insomnia but it's not typical insomnia at all, I think it's just due to the hyperactivity from my severe ADHD. It's not that I can't sleep, but unless I'm absolutely exhausted and fall asleep instantly, I can't deal with laying still and trying to fall asleep, and self discipline isn't my strong area. Sleeping pills don't really work at all, but I've found that non-stimulating psychedelics work like a charm. For example, getting really high on weed, low-moderate doses of shrooms, or any dose of ketamine are the absolute best sleep aids for me and really the only ones that work. For some reason, closed eye visuals are key, I guess they make me want to just lay in bed as opposed to wanting to get up and do something. I won't use ketamine very frequently for obvious reasons and the thing with weed is that with my tolerance, it's really hard and expensive to get as high as I need to sometimes, so I was thinking maybe I'd switch it up with shrooms sometimes, which seem like they should be perfectly safe physically, but what about mentally? Is it a good idea to use them that frequently, even if in low doses? I did do it once before but only for a week or two, I seemed perfectly ok though.

There shouldn't be any risks, aside from potential psychological effects of frequent shrooming in which case you will be able to decide to take a break from them.

I read an article somewhere by Dr James fadiman(author of The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide) in which he speaks of microdosing. He's a proponent of microdosing, but If I remember correctly, even he warns that there are no long term studies on microdosing so no one knows if there are any bad effects from long term use.

I've read of hallucinogen persisting perception disorder in people using small doses regularly, but I don't know how reliable the source of that info is.

I've been interested in micro dosing for a while for anxiety. I'm going to wait for some long term studies first (if I live that long).

My main concern would be the question 'do any of the tryptamines in them have any relevant affinity/efficiency as 5ht2b agonists'? If the answer is yes then the risk would be heart valve hypertrophy leading to heart problems if the answer is no then I don't see any obvious risks but that doesn't mean that there are none since I don't know everything and since long term microdosing isn't something that you'd call extensively researched.

So try and find a list of affinities/efficiencies of the tryptamines in mushrooms which must exist somewhere. And check if your doses are high enough for these to be relevant. If they are then it doesn't seem like a worthwhile risk to take if they aren't then decide for yourself if the unknown long term risks are acceptable to you (which I know isn't a simple choice with the risks being unknown and all).

If you decide to proceed I'm sure many people would appreciate a blog with information about your experience (a sample size of 1 and it all being self reported is of course far from ideal but it's not like we're going to get a huge long term double blind study on the subject (yay war on drugs, yay priorities in research funding, and the usual list of complaint's)).

>I've been interested in micro dosing for a while for anxiety. I'm going to wait for some long term studies first (if I live that long).

I think that the best 2 ways for you to see this is a) become very rich and spend a lot of money on some well placed bribesdonations to get such a study approved and fund it yourself or b) hope that age extension/biological immortality (aka no more aging and effective cures for all/most diseases not Wolverine like superpowers (not that it wouldn't be nice to have almost unlimited regeneration, an indestructible skeleton with extendable claws made from the same material and some superhuman strength (I don't think he's really that strong as far as superheroes go but he's certainly stronger than any realistic human.... you'd have to be considering the weight of his skeleton and the fact you could exercise all the time thanks to the regeneration removing any problems with recovery while taking as much PEDs as you'd want since you'd be immune to any harmful effects from them (although he apparently can choose to be (how much of this is under his conscious control and how much isn't is an interesting question) susceptible to some things you could call harmful effects since we've seen him drunk))).

Last edited: