• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Are there any drugs that have an effect profile similar to Pentylenetetrazol?

Nagelfar

Bluelight Crew
I was wondering if there weren't any potential functional-analogs to Pentylenetetrazol out there. Apparently, it was used as a less efficacious alternative to electro-convulsive therapy (ECT) to induce tonic/clonic states that improved clinical depression in patients unresponsive to other treatments in the same fashion that ECT was found to.

This would be a good start

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6279412

Rehavi et al. Effects of tetrazole derivatives on [3H]diazepam binding in vitro: Correlation with convulsant potency. Eur JPharmacol.1982 Mar 12;78(3):353-6.

A series of 8 tetrazole derivatives which differ more than one hundred-fold in their potencies as convulsants were tested for their abilities to inhibit [3H]diazepam binding to benzodiazepine receptors in vitro. The concentrations of drug necessary to inhibit 50% of specifically bound [3H]diazepam ranges from 18 μM for undecamethylenetetrazole to 20 mM for trimethylenetetrazole. A comparison of the minimum convulsive doses for the 8 tetrazole derivatives tested with their relative potencies in displacing [3H]diazepam binding in vitro revealed a highly significant correlation (r=0.98, P<0.001). In contrast, several representative tetrazole derivatives were found to have no inhibitory effects on β-adrenergic, α-adrenergic or muscarinic cholinergic receptors in the same membrane preparation. These results suggest that pentamethylenetetrazole and related tetrazole derivatives may elicit their convulsant effects by interaction with the benzodiazepine receptor.

Full text is behind pay wall though.

There are a few others on PUBMED mostly from the 80s and without full text unfortunately we're denied most of the structures although from the few mentioned above we might get a feel for the general theme.

I'm intrigued by the purpose behind your question.

21994-44-5.jpg

Undecamethylenetetrazole. That's a mouthful, and a heck of a molecule.

More, even older:

https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/136093

Edited to add: use of this as an alternative to ECT (of which I am a pretty strong advocate) sounds cruel and dangerous ... now I'm curious about the details of the procedure. Was the patient anesthetized, etc. Probably not which is doubly troubling as these compounds are certainly not just convulsive but anxiogenic.

Last edited: