• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Are the strains available now just too strong for novice smokers??

mickeyfinn79

Bluelighter
As the title says......from what I read on here a lot of the threads appear to be anxiety related to be fair the weed around nowadays has a lot more THC as to when I began smoking over 20 years ago and it fucks me up and a lot of my mates.Anxiety issues were never the case when I began toking on red seal,charras,leb,pollen e.t.c.......maybe its worth easing your way in smoking some low grade/African/brick/Thai weed or some nice hash rather than going in at 20% + THC high grade because its the "in" thing cannabis should be fun and relaxing if not what's the point???............discuss

I understand that cannabis has changed a lot over the years; I believe that it is definitely too strong for some people, but don't believe all of this over dramatized bullshit about cannabis induced psychosis. Just smoke less. 0.2g in a bowl can get my a nice heavy buzz, I don't need much at all when it comes to cannabis. I haven't smoked in 3 or 4 weeks but intend to the coming week, the intention is to smoke a gram of cannabis through my bong in the space of 15 minutes. I hope it's like the first time I smoked all over again...

That's the point I'm making its enjoyable if used sensibly but all the youngsters smoking blunts and caining it to excess (as we're all guilty of in our youth) just can't be done with the strength of it now it can't be good for a developing mind

I think it's healthier; rather than smoking 1 gram in a joint, constantly inhaling smoke, stronger strains makes most people smoke less.

I do find that the many of today's strains can get you to the point of feeling too high, and that for some of those strains that amount can be .1 g or less. Smoking things like polm, afghan or thai stick is far less potent and I can quite happily keep smoking loads before getting too high/paranoid etc. In my younger years I was not very interested in low grade weed as the whole point at that time was to get as high as possible (I didn't get anxious/paranoid then).

If it's too strong for you, just smoke less! Like, one or two puffs, not an entire bowl. If you're buying from a dispensary, you may be able to get a strain that's lower THC, or you may be able to get some leaf trim, and you can cut your buds with some leaf.

I think it's healthier; rather than smoking 1 gram in a joint, constantly inhaling smoke, stronger strains makes most people smoke less.

This is what I used to think until I met real life pot heads.

A good example of this would be me smoking last night.

Not smoked in about a month, I got some lemon skunk which smells potent, I also got a new bong with a fancy diffuser/precooler, load up a bowl, and smoke it in 2 large hits. 10 minutes later after packing my stuff away and going to chill on the computer, a 'whitey' hit me.

and I am very experienced with cannabis. You've gotta be careful not to overdo it with todays' weed sometimes... especially when you have no tolerance like me last night.

Quite possible, I haven't really been around long enough to say. I started smoking a little over 5 years so I started smoking really good weed, and I remember when I'd smoke half as much as everyone else I'd get completely fucked. Probably more comparable to a shroom high rather than what I experience now when I get stoned. I would completely black out and go to sleep, or just get so high the room would start spinning and I would have to puke. Thinking back, I would actually puke all the time when I would smoke and would hide it from all my stoner friends as I was the last to start smoking and didn't want to look completely novice. I remember taking one or two bong rips and being completely gone. I loved the feeling though, and was wanting to escape so I enjoyed the ride but I can imagine if you were just looking more to just simply relax or weren't in the mindset of getting faded off of weed, then ya it would be easy to freak the fuck out.

I completely have religious experiences on this new stuff (I'm on medical marijuana now, have a card and buy from the dispensary) if I want to. I take very little of it for medical purposes - like ONE PUFF. Two makes me really high. Three makes me couch locked. Four makes me fucked up for hours and feeling like I understand God, and at psychedelic level 3 - more like people tell me a shroom high is like. And the sativa and hybrid stuff I've been smoking lately is really really clear-headed and cerebral (indica has me laughing at stuff that isn't funny sober).

This is nothing like the stuff my friends ever had back in the 90s.

I understand that cannabis has changed a lot over the years; I believe that it is definitely too strong for some people, but don't believe all of this over dramatized bullshit about cannabis induced psychosis. Just smoke less. 0.2g in a bowl can get my a nice heavy buzz, I don't need much at all when it comes to cannabis. I haven't smoked in 3 or 4 weeks but intend to the coming week, the intention is to smoke a gram of cannabis through my bong in the space of 15 minutes. I hope it's like the first time I smoked all over again...

I think the 'strength' of cannabis depends on the person. Say for example, I've never smoked before, and someone who has been smoking for the past 5 years offers me one of their cones. My body would not be able to tolerate it as well as the 5 year smoker, but after a while your body would adapt and get used to it. I don't think it's about being too 'strong', I think people should be educated on the strengths and strains of cannabis before they smoke. If people want to get fucked up then that's their decision and peer pressure sometimes has a role to play in it. There is such thing as cannabis induced psychosis. But I'm pretty sure you have to be susceptible to mental health issues and be smoking a fair bit of cannabis.

But hey, who would whip out their phone in front of their mates just to check out how much THC is in it?

Just an opinion,
R.

^ I wish we had places that sold weed where you could tell the CBD and THC levels but we don't, we have to buy off black market dealers here (Australia) and most of the weed in the cities is hydro and really strong. I grew up on it and was addicted to it for yrs, then I moved away from it and all my contacts to the country and slowly met some more contacts and most of what I could get was what we call bush weed and much less potent. But some of the bush weed is still very strong for me now, since I have virtually no tolerance to cannabis anymore. Every now and then I will get some hydro (sometimes from here and other times friends bring it from the city) and it really knocks me around, I smoke a bit and need to crash out, my eyes go so blood shot and I am so noticeably stoned that it's hard to go anywhere.

I really prefer the bush buds these days, stuff that is still nice but not pumped full of nutrients too much. Smoking high grade hydro sometimes made me pretty lazy and rude when I was younger, if I couldn't get it I couldnt sleep properly and I would become rather short and grumpy.

Honestly, I'd say the new strains are definitely way too strong for novice smokers. I haven't been smoking for about 6 months. I rolled up a blunt the other night, and just smoked what was probably .3g out of it. I got insanely high, pretty much blacked out (it was more like me doing something like putting something in the toaster, and honestly not even remember I did it until the smoke detector went off), and then about an hour in got extremely dizzy and nauseous, so I lied down and went to sleep.

This was off some bubba kush from a dispensary that was a 22% thc strain. I used to smoke this strain multiple times per day during my peak usage, and never ever got this high because of my tolerance at the time. I could feel my heart pounding out of my chest, and if I wasn't familiar with the effects of weed, I probably would have had a panic attack.

Honestly, all novice smokers should just start with brick weed, then move to mids, then move to heads/concentrates when they stop getting high. When I first started smoking, brick weed got me just as high as a dab did when I had a huge tolerance. New users shouldn't blow out their tolerance right away, and just enjoy the weaker shit til it doesn't work for them anymore.

I still get so high smoking .1 even when I toke every night with medical grade buds. If I dont smoke for just a few days, .1 or half a smaller joint with someone else will literally get me tripping for a bit. sometimes amazing, sometimes terrible. get more high than most drugs, honestly. but the second I start smoking .1 a couple times a day, I can smoke twice as much. its amazing how quickly tolerance builds and you realize your system is