• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Are shrooms good in any mental state or will I be psychologically destroyed?

Shrooms help with depression neurochemically due to NMDA antagonism, but the anti-depressant effect is enhanced by how you work with the psychological aspect of the trip. If there's potential for it traumatize you then that's going to offset all the beneficial effects. I wouldn't do it until you're having a good day and can setup an environment where you're relaxed and at peace.

I love shrooms but for myself they can be an intense experience. I tend to leave normal reality completely and go into some kind of hyperspace, and I would never want to do that on a bad day. There's nothing worse than that anxiety in your gut trying to pull you back to the safety of your physical body while the drug is trying to pull you into some alternate reality. The two tearing at one another feels horrible.

Shrooms help with depression neurochemically due to NMDA antagonism, but the anti-depressant effect is enhanced by how you work with the psychological aspect of the trip. If there's potential for it traumatize you then that's going to offset all the beneficial effects. I wouldn't do it until you're having a good day and can setup an environment where you're relaxed and at peace.

Agree with that. I feel it really depends how prepared you are psychologically.

I think I'm prepared as I'll ever be. I've been less depressed the past few months than I have been in past years. Plus I'm tripping with a really good friend and possibly a couple other people in an environment I know well and am very comfortable in, I'm probably more comfortable at my friends house than I could ever be at home. Plus with the slight glow of oxycodone to begin with I think this will go very well, unless oxy causes some strange reaction with shrooms that I'm not aware of.

I've done it before and it wasn't a bad reaction but it did amplify the oxy quite a bit esp the itchiness. I was on a pretty high dose but I remember it not being a particularly great combo. Itched real bad and my skin felt kind of strange which I get from morphine but not usually oxy. Prob better luck on the tail end but you prob won't need it if you stick to a low dose of shrooms. I also remember turning bright red now that I think about it. It was over 10 years ago lol.

Last edited:
The mushroom gods will shitwhip you don't be fooled if you aren't in a good place don't fuck with it!!! I would not wish a bad trip on even my worst enemies.....

I think I'm prepared as I'll ever be. I've been less depressed the past few months than I have been in past years. Plus I'm tripping with a really good friend and possibly a couple other people in an environment I know well and am very comfortable in, I'm probably more comfortable at my friends house than I could ever be at home. Plus with the slight glow of oxycodone to begin with I think this will go very well, unless oxy causes some strange reaction with shrooms that I'm not aware of.

If you're not literally 100% comfortable around them, if they're not people you'd be willing to share your deepest emotions and issues with, I'd try and have them not be there.

Shrooms help with depression neurochemically due to NMDA antagonism.

Im pretty sure that is incorrect, psychadelics work primarily via 5ht2a partial agonism, and dissociatives work via nmda antagonism. Other than ibogaine I don't know of any psychadelics that exert effects via nmda antagonism.

If you have information regarding mushrooms being nmda antagonistic through direct or even downstream processes, could you post it in this thread?

Just let the mushrooms take care of you - they've been taking care of humans for thousands of years. Obviously if you're a little scared try a low dose to start with.

Redosing works but I'd keep it to the first hour - after that it's probably a waste of time.

I'm also going to have the opportunity to try them at another friends party, should I turn them down? Are shrooms even capable of being a party drug?

Yeah they can be anything you want as long as you're experienced with them and get the dose right. I personally wouldn't want to be around strangers when I'm on a psychedelic tho.