Venting Are psychedelics the best thing in life? Cause I can't take most of them...

Are psychedelics the greatest joy in life and do they help you make the most positive changes?

• Yes, they feel better than anything else & help you make the most changes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes, I love jiu jitsu. I'm only a blue belt and am trying very hard not to be the cliche blue belt who quits and never returns. But covid hit everyone by surprise and I'm with you on the anti vax bullshit amongst BJJ practitioners. I think it's at least partly influenced by people like Joe Rogan who claim training alone and being in shape is enough to "boost" one's immunity to covid. And now there is monkeypox to worry about. fml

Obviously I didn't realize about all your injuries with regards to training and MMA. I didn't start jiu jitsu until I was like 38 and have had my fair share of injuries myself. Be careful out there!

I will look into the intermittent fasting and Wim Hofman breathing. Is that anything like the intense stomach breathing that Rickson Gracie does?

In addition to quitting coffee, I also gave up alcohol about 4 or 5 years ago. Now all I do is smoke weed sometimes and take my psych meds, which of course prevent me from taking psychedelics as well. Anyways, I really hope you can get control over your ailments including OCD. Good luck, man!
Don't worry about that blue belt cliche. We've all heard it, but just stay focussed on returning whenever possible. Belts are something people get too obsessed about.

It affects me too. I'm a brown belt, and yet, there are people who started BJJ WHEN I WAS ALREADY A PUPRLE BELT who are now black belts, and I'm still a brown. There's another guy who started BJJ when i was ALREADY A BROWN BELT AND NOW HE'S A BLACK BELT!! He got it while i was out protecting my father from covid, and while it feels bad that people would beat me to black belt, I must realize that it's not a competition. The fact is, I have missed many years of training for different reasons, and they didn't, so it is what it is. When I'm meant to get my black I will, but my instructor knows how inconsistent I can be so he's going to probably hold me to a higher standard. But many martial arts don't even have belts. Wrestling, boxing and Muay Thai have no belts, you just know you are good because you know. And like many black belts say "if you do BJJ your whole life you will spend more time as a black belt than any other belt, so don't be so concerned with when you get your next belt." They are really just symbols, and honestly, someone could not even have a belt at all and beat a black belt just by being such a good grappler in systems that don't have belts like wrestling and Sambo.

Yes, what Wim Hof does is very similar to the breathing that Rickson does, though not the same. Breathing exercises are SUPER complex in terms of how many there are out there, and I only know a little about one of them, which is Wim Hof breathing.

Of course, the origins are in Yoga, and Wim Hof admits that he learned much of what he knows from yoga, but he developed his own unique method that is somewhat different, particularly mixing it with ice baths and cold showers.

When you see the videos of Rickson doing that weird stuff where he moves his organs around on the beach, (I assume this is what you are talking about) he's actually doing something different. I forget the name, but it's a Yogic technique for cleaning the internal organs. Very complex and I don't know how to do that.

But Rickson has talked about being able to control his heart rate under pressure, and Wim Hof can do this too. It makes me feel bad as I have been slacking off with the Wim Hof method, but I'll get back to it soon. I twice completed his online fundamentals course, was really into it and took like 20 ice baths in the winter, but now it's harder to get cold water so I guess that's been my excuse, but it's not a good one cause I can still do the breathing and cold showers.

If you are interested I would first read Wim Hof's biography (it's the most recent of his 3 books and the best) and when you hear his life story you will surely be amazed. Then, if you want, I would sign up for his 10 week online fundamentals course. You don't even have to leave your house to do it. Each week is based on a different theme like: inflammation, spirituality, creativity, stress control, etc.

If I could be like anyone I'd be like Wim Hof probably: the man can calm himself in almost any situation. But it's VERY hard work. I mean it doesn't take much, only like an hour a day for the breathing and cold showers combined, but still, it's not always easy to reach those calm states of mind. One time in particular I felt like I was actually almost tripping and felt full of bliss, but I was never able to get there again, but many times it has calmed me down. And it's great for the injuries that come from BJJ too.

And yeah, injuries suck, but they happen. Mine were really freak accidents. The first was when I was 28 and my teacher tried to throw me with a Judo throw but honestly, neither of us knew Judo, and I stupidly put my leg out to try to stop the throw, and all my body weight came down on it and it tore really badly.

I had no idea how to break fall and didn't realize how bad an idea that is. Then the thing is, once you tear one, I was told by my surgeon you are more likely to tear the other because they are uneven, so years later I went with A COMPLETE WHITE BELT SPAZZ who was rolling with me like his life was on the line, and somehow I fell backwards and tore the other one. I believe it was inevitable.

But the 3rd could have been avoided and happened because I stopped rehabbing my legs. NEVER STOP REHAB IF YOU INJURE YOURSELF!! The worse physical therapists failed to tell me this, and only later did better physical therapists tell me that that's why I re-injured myself, that P.T. is a life long thing if you have a bad injury.

But even regardless of my age and those injuries, I still have the dream of making an Amateur MMA fight happen, and one way or another I'm going back to train as soon as I move out.

Good luck on your BJJ journey. If you want advice on that or the Wim Hof Method just ask.

Don't worry about that blue belt cliche. We've all heard it, but just stay focussed on returning whenever possible. Belts are something people get too obsessed about.

It affects me too. I'm a brown belt, and yet, there are people who started BJJ WHEN I WAS ALREADY A PUPRLE BELT who are now black belts, and I'm still a brown. There's another guy who started BJJ when i was ALREADY A BROWN BELT AND NOW HE'S A BLACK BELT!! He got it while i was out protecting my father from covid, and while it feels bad that people would beat me to black belt, I must realize that it's not a competition. The fact is, I have missed many years of training for different reasons, and they didn't, so it is what it is. When I'm meant to get my black I will, but my instructor knows how inconsistent I can be so he's going to probably hold me to a higher standard. But many martial arts don't even have belts. Wrestling, boxing and Muay Thai have no belts, you just know you are good because you know. And like many black belts say "if you do BJJ your whole life you will spend more time as a black belt than any other belt, so don't be so concerned with when you get your next belt." They are really just symbols, and honestly, someone could not even have a belt at all and beat a black belt just by being such a good grappler in systems that don't have belts like wrestling and Sambo.

Yes, what Wim Hof does is very similar to the breathing that Rickson does, though not the same. Breathing exercises are SUPER complex in terms of how many there are out there, and I only know a little about one of them, which is Wim Hof breathing.

Of course, the origins are in Yoga, and Wim Hof admits that he learned much of what he knows from yoga, but he developed his own unique method that is somewhat different, particularly mixing it with ice baths and cold showers.

When you see the videos of Rickson doing that weird stuff where he moves his organs around on the beach, (I assume this is what you are talking about) he's actually doing something different. I forget the name, but it's a Yogic technique for cleaning the internal organs. Very complex and I don't know how to do that.

But Rickson has talked about being able to control his heart rate under pressure, and Wim Hof can do this too. It makes me feel bad as I have been slacking off with the Wim Hof method, but I'll get back to it soon. I twice completed his online fundamentals course, was really into it and took like 20 ice baths in the winter, but now it's harder to get cold water so I guess that's been my excuse, but it's not a good one cause I can still do the breathing and cold showers.

If you are interested I would first read Wim Hof's biography (it's the most recent of his 3 books and the best) and when you hear his life story you will surely be amazed. Then, if you want, I would sign up for his 10 week online fundamentals course. You don't even have to leave your house to do it. Each week is based on a different theme like: inflammation, spirituality, creativity, stress control, etc.

If I could be like anyone I'd be like Wim Hof probably: the man can calm himself in almost any situation. But it's VERY hard work. I mean it doesn't take much, only like an hour a day for the breathing and cold showers combined, but still, it's not always easy to reach those calm states of mind. One time in particular I felt like I was actually almost tripping and felt full of bliss, but I was never able to get there again, but many times it has calmed me down. And it's great for the injuries that come from BJJ too.

And yeah, injuries suck, but they happen. Mine were really freak accidents. The first was when I was 28 and my teacher tried to throw me with a Judo throw but honestly, neither of us knew Judo, and I stupidly put my leg out to try to stop the throw, and all my body weight came down on it and it tore really badly.

I had no idea how to break fall and didn't realize how bad an idea that is. Then the thing is, once you tear one, I was told by my surgeon you are more likely to tear the other because they are uneven, so years later I went with A COMPLETE WHITE BELT SPAZZ who was rolling with me like his life was on the line, and somehow I fell backwards and tore the other one. I believe it was inevitable.

But the 3rd could have been avoided and happened because I stopped rehabbing my legs. NEVER STOP REHAB IF YOU INJURE YOURSELF!! The worse physical therapists failed to tell me this, and only later did better physical therapists tell me that that's why I re-injured myself, that P.T. is a life long thing if you have a bad injury.

But even regardless of my age and those injuries, I still have the dream of making an Amateur MMA fight happen, and one way or another I'm going back to train as soon as I move out.

Good luck on your BJJ journey. If you want advice on that or the Wim Hof Method just ask.
Thanks for the motivational talk. It really does help me feel better about my status in jiu jitsu. I should know better about getting too hung up on belts as I was a wrestler all throughout high school and some of college. You're right about that. Even no-gi tournaments bracket people based on experience level rather than belt color. I'm also reminded of a quote I believe Royce Gracie is known for, something like: "Don't worry about your rank, a belt only covers 2 inches of your ass."

I feel you about improperly implementing a break fall. When I was a white belt and didn't even know what a break fall was, a purple belt took me down hard during training and I got a concussion when my head hit the mat.

Also, thanks for the hot tips on the Wim Hoffman book and instructionals. I will look into it :)

So, to make this less about psychedelics, I still want to ask more people what NON drug related experiences they have had that have positively impacted their lives??

It could be something you did once, a few times, or do regularly.

I just want some examples to think about.

Psychedelics learned me many things and did help me grow as a person, their use for "growing" is strong but limited.

The are no inherently better than medication/psychotherapy.

I think too many people convince themselves that psychedelics cured them of whatever.

I think in most cases they help people when used in the proper setting/proportion, but abused, they will cause mental illness, not cure it.

Psychedelics learned me many things and did help me grow as a person, their use for "growing" is strong but limited.

The are no inherently better than medication/psychotherapy.

I think too many people convince themselves that psychedelics cured them of whatever.

I think in most cases they help people when used in the proper setting/proportion, but abused, they will cause mental illness, not cure it.
So what are some experiences in particular that you have had in life that have really helped you change your ways of thinking and/or living for the better?

I've tried medications and therapy, though their are more of both that I could try, but I am particularly interested in other sorts of experiences that people had that have changed them?

For example, some things that had positive impacts on me are: I have done many Jiu-Jitsu tournaments and trained many years, I did a sweat lodge which was quite difficult and stayed in 120 plus degree heat for over 4 hours even when others were getting out, I've taken 20 ice baths and practiced Wim Hof breathing, and there are other things I can't think of right now.

Just looking for ideas.

Ok, so, I may have to elaborate on this thread later on, as there's a lot I want to ask.

This thread isn't only about psychedelics, but asking people about things in general which have helped them make the most positive changes in their lives, and move forward towards peace of mind, happiness, and even enlightenment.

I'll try to be summarize how I feel:

I have anxiety, OCD, Non Verbal Learning Disability and depression. I'm 42 and feel I haven't lived the kind of life i want to. I haven't experienced enough, and I feel like I'm having a midlife crisis. I'M BAD AT MAKING CHANGES IN MY LIFE.

I'm always looking for "the next big thing" I can do or achieve to "save myself from a life of regret."
I do Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and martial arts with the goal of having an amateur MMA fight cause part of me is convinced I can never be happy if I can't do that as it's always been a dream and a fear of mine I want to overcome, and maybe I'm too old, so I worry about that not being possible. I have almost always had a complex at each stage in my life: when i stop worrying about one thing then another pops up. I used to have the same complex that I'd be happy when I got with a specific girl, which didn't in the end work or make me happy, so i realized i was wrong there. I like drugs like kratom, alcohol, weed, phenibut, nitrous, shrooms, etc, but of course, they don't make me happy, just temporary fun.

I have been on prozac for 28 years for OCD and social anxiety (actually 4-5 give or take on Lexapro, then back on Prozac) so most psychedelics either don't work or are dangerous, though I have gotten effects from shrooms and LSD that are blunted, but still some somewhat good experiences, only rarely visuals. I have been on Klonopin for 19 years and I really want to quit Klonopin and caffeine which i also have a problem with. I am always drinking too much coffee out of tiredness from the Klonopin, then that makes me anxious and hard to fall asleep, so I take Klonopin which makes me tired. Soon I'm going to ask my psychiatrist to help me get off Klonopin and caffeine to feel better, but prozac? MUCH harder IMO, as i will probably need it to deal with the OCD symptoms even more once off Klonopin and have been on it longer.

So basically, I am always hearing about these AMAZING life changing experiences you guys and others have on: Ayahuasca, Ibogaine, DMT, 5-Meo DMT, and all the other numerous alphabet psychs, and I'm jealous and feel I'm missing out.

I want so badly to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING that could bring about positive change in my life and make me stop hating my life and myself, and there's nothing other than having an MMA fight that seems like it might help me more than a REALLY positive trip on something like Ayahuasca, Ibogaine, DMT or 5-Meo DMT.....BUT I CAN'T TAKE MOST OF THESE DRUGS CAUSE OF PROZAC AND WILL QUITE POSSIBLY BE ON IT FOR LIFE!!!!

I have heard of others feeling like me breaking out of their depression and changing their lives through these things, but NOPE, not me, I can't, and it makes me REALLY depressed.

But it's not like I'm ONLY looking to psychedelics for change. Like I said, I will look for ANYTHING to feel better about life. I'm a searcher. Some other things I try include: martial arts, playing/listening to music, The Wim Hof method (breathing exercises with cold showers and ice baths), psychotherapy and other therapies, neurofeeback, meditation, hypnosis, isolation tank, sweat lodge, and other things I'm forgetting now.

I haven't sky dived, but if that will help, I'll do it. Same for bungee jumping. I OFTEN THINK A NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE WOULD HELP. Which is why some psychedelics seem like a good choice. I WANT TO BE SHOCKED INTO APPRECIATING WHAT I HAVE IN LIFE....THAT'S THE END ALL BE ALL OF WHAT I'M SAYING.

I don't like to travel, don't like change, but if I have to go travel to wherever to appreciate my life, then maybe that's the trick. I don't believe in changing my life by meeting the woman of my dreams or some shit like that...honestly, I think trying to find happiness in another person is a BAD idea. That's desperation and bringing another person down. So yeah, not one of those thinking that sex or love or even friendship will do it.

If community service or helping others would do it, I'd try that too.

So...I think I have made this long enough.

Questions then:

1) Do you think psychedelics and possibly certain other drugs are the single greatest thing on earth, and that they allow people to be able to make more positive changes in their lives than anything else by changing their perspectives? Cause many seem to think so, and again, MOST are out of the question for me if I can't get off prozac. I dream of going to Peru to trip on Ayahuasca or some other country for Ibogaine, but it ain't happening.

2) What positive experiences have you had THAT ARE NOT RELATED TO DRUGS, that have really changed your life for the better, and made you think differently about yourself PERMANENTLY? It could be anything. It might be something you pursued on a regular or semi-regular basis for years as a practice/discipline, or something you only did once or a few times.

I just want to shock myself out of my current state.

With half my fucking life over, I WANT TO FUCKING LIVE. And if my prozac makes most psychedelics out of the question due to risk of serotonin syndrome, then I sure as fuck better find SOMETHING...

I'm very interested in hearing about any and all life changing experiences people have had, with or without drugs, but ESPECIALLY WITHOUT THEM.

1) you will get far greater positive change from your martial arts than any drug on this planet.

2) falling in love and knowing what it meant.

the most important thing in life is life :)

honestly psychs are interesting but not life defining in anyway.

most that find it so never had or knew a life to begin with.

normally its some big break through experience they talk about were they met some fantasy or another or came to terms with some repressed thought or idea with feelings of warmth and euphoria.

hardly ground breaking a good book and a cup of hot chocolate can do the same.

1) you will get far greater positive change from your martial arts than any drug on this planet.

2) falling in love and knowing what it meant.

the most important thing in life is life :)

honestly psychs are interesting but not life defining in anyway.

most that find it so never had or knew a life to begin with.

normally its some big break through experience they talk about were they met some fantasy or another or came to terms with some repressed thought or idea with feelings of warmth and euphoria.

hardly ground breaking a good book and a cup of hot chocolate can do the same.
Thanks for giving some examples.

Yeah, my problem with martial arts is that I've become too obsessed over not being good enough and thinking the same thing I worry about with psychedelics but to a much greater extent: that IF I CAN'T have a fight I might never be able to be happy.

I have tried for years but injuries and now covid have interfered, and at 42 I might be too old, but I'm not giving up yet. And the truth is, I had much more fun doing it before I had the goal of having an MMA fight and I just lost myself in the training. I hope to return to that someday, where it's just part of my lifestyle and I no longer have a complex over it. People like me with OCD i think just get these complexes over different things.

I think my big issue is always thinking that any ONE thing will be the answer to my happiness, when in fact, that's just not usually how life works. Usually it's a number of experiences and all sorts of things that lead to happiness or peace of mind, not just any one thing, or at least that is what I'm told.

I used to train over 40 hours a week.

then some punk takes my teeth inside as I walk around a corner.

I had my hands in my pocket at the time.

there is no good enough :) bruce was so good it got him killed.

we had a test were we give an 8 year old a felt tip pen and put a smooch on a black belt.

it was a knife simulation and the black belt always ended up with at least some marks on them.

I have learnt a lot of breathing exercises and know a few tricks to deal with heart rate :)

we have a reverse diaphragm breath a chi sniff a roar that is for bill jee (finger strikes) air packing techniques for iron shirt

chi cleaning breaths and movements mind fullness breathing and in fighting we are trained not to breath with strikes as

wing chun was made to be used while on foot at some pace.

in a ring every ounce of strength is needed but in the real world speed accuracy and knowing what to hit and how is more important.

I hate ring fighting though ive spent some time in the ring helping others that had the dream of glory.

I find it takes kids and turns them into people who want to hit things.

were as a single art seems to help them in there studies and life choices.

I think its the culture that is taught at the same time showing other ways of thinking and it not being a competition

to see who can hurt the other person more.

not a fan of MMA at all its killed martial arts just so blood thirsty people can get there rocks of watching others hurt the each other.

bad role models for kids.

I hope I havent insulted anyone saying this its just my experience with the art.

I used to train over 40 hours a week.

then some punk takes my teeth inside as I walk around a corner.

I had my hands in my pocket at the time.

there is no good enough :) bruce was so good it got him killed.

we had a test were we give an 8 year old a felt tip pen and put a smooch on a black belt.

it was a knife simulation and the black belt always ended up with at least some marks on them.

I have learnt a lot of breathing exercises and know a few tricks to deal with heart rate :)

we have a reverse diaphragm breath a chi sniff a roar that is for bill jee (finger strikes) air packing techniques for iron shirt

chi cleaning breaths and movements mind fullness breathing and in fighting we are trained not to breath with strikes as

wing chun was made to be used while on foot at some pace.

in a ring every ounce of strength is needed but in the real world speed accuracy and knowing what to hit and how is more important.

I hate ring fighting though ive spent some time in the ring helping others that had the dream of glory.

I find it takes kids and turns them into people who want to hit things.

were as a single art seems to help them in there studies and life choices.

I think its the culture that is taught at the same time showing other ways of thinking and it not being a competition

to see who can hurt the other person more.

not a fan of MMA at all its killed martial arts just so blood thirsty people can get there rocks of watching others hurt the each other.

bad role models for kids.

I hope I havent insulted anyone saying this its just my experience with the art.
I can respect how you feel, but I feel completely opposite about MMA.

I think it has proven what arts work and which arts don't, whereas so many people used to practice so many worthless and ineffective martial arts that were terrible for self defense like Aikido and non-contact styles, we now know what works, and people can test themselves and overcome their fears by fighting. For every person you know who you think is a bully because of MMA there are so many others who have improved their lives through it. My instructor grew up with a very violent childhood and has overcome a great deal of his problems through martial arts and training others. Really, it's just about the person. It's like a gun: give a bad person a gun, they will hurt someone innocent, but give a good person a gun they will only use it to defend themselves. MMA and the arts that work for it like BJJ, Muay Thai, boxing and wrestling are just tools in the same way.

And MMA can make good role models for kids too: my MMA instructor won't give his students their next belts unless they have at least a B average in school and do community service. MMA can be used in great ways and he's had a major impact on those kids.

Of course yes, MMA has it's share of bullies, and I tend to not like much of the fan base, but with the good comes the bad, and it's that way with everything. I think far better that we have MMA and now know what works then go back to the 60s, 70s and 80s when no one knew how to fight on the ground and people thought some random kung fu school down the street was more effective than wrestling or boxing.

As for the street, of course a street fight is different than a fight in the cage or ring, but I hope never to have one. Knife defense is something that I have never trained and no matter how trained you are in Kali or a knife art you will get cut, and you are right, if you don't see a punch coming or whatever it doesn't matter how good you are, but for me it's SYMBOLIC: I just want to prove I have what it takes to get out there in front of a crowd and fight someone who has also trained and at least show that I am good enough to put up a good fight, win or lose.

But anyways, what style of martial art do you train?

You said Wing Chun which is effective IMO, anything else?

As far as breathing exercises, I do Wim Hof breathing which has significant crossover and is very good mentally.

You seem like an interesting person.

thankyou ye I can understand the test of ones metal but I love kung fu and have seen so many think its not worth learning

due to there hero doing MMA.

I have done some tai chi and wing chun is what I practiced most.

though I am far from what I once was due to not training anymore and smoking too much.

No ayahuasca for you not with prozac. I too am abit pissed off cause i may not be able to trip anymore because of the latuda i have to take.

Yeah, I have a very long history with psychedelic, now I only dose 2 to 3 times a year.

Long term heavy use wears the soul thin.

I talk to too many younger people and they have this oddly mythical opinion of psychedelics, that they are:

1. harmless and safe drugs
2. have intrinsically magical healing powers

too many people think they can just take these drugs and suddenly be cured of anything

they've almost achieved a level of cultural glorification that cannabis has, that it's completely safe and only provides benefits no negatives

it concerns me a lot

I love and respect psychedelics so much, but the are far from without danger, and are no magical cure for anything when taken recreationally without support or structure.

...When I was in highschool rumor was that LSD changed your DNA and was stuck forever in your spinal fluid after taking it... it was a very taboo thing to do. It seems to be totally different now.

thankyou ye I can understand the test of ones metal but I love kung fu and have seen so many think its not worth learning

due to there hero doing MMA.

I have done some tai chi and wing chun is what I practiced most.

though I am far from what I once was due to not training anymore and smoking too much.
I don't think it doesn't necessarily work, I mean there's hundreds of styles of kung fu, it's just that it needs to be modified for MMA and mixed with some Muay Thai and boxing usually.

I talk to too many younger people and they have this oddly mythical opinion of psychedelics, that they are:

1. harmless and safe drugs
2. have intrinsically magical healing powers

too many people think they can just take these drugs and suddenly be cured of anything

they've almost achieved a level of cultural glorification that cannabis has, that it's completely safe and only provides benefits no negatives

it concerns me a lot

I love and respect psychedelics so much, but the are far from without danger, and are no magical cure for anything when taken recreationally without support or structure.

...When I was in highschool rumor was that LSD changed your DNA and was stuck forever in your spinal fluid after taking it... it was a very taboo thing to do. It seems to be totally different now.
Yeah, I know they aren't always these magical tools that lead to awakening, it's just that SOMETIMES they can be beneficial, and they can also be fun (at least from my shroom and LSD trips) and I wish I could use Ayahuasca and some others, but I am probably glorifying them and making them out to be more than they are.

I can respect how you feel, but I feel completely opposite about MMA.

I think it has proven what arts work and which arts don't, whereas so many people used to practice so many worthless and ineffective martial arts that were terrible for self defense like Aikido and non-contact styles, we now know what works, and people can test themselves and overcome their fears by fighting. For every person you know who you think is a bully because of MMA there are so many others who have improved their lives through it. My instructor grew up with a very violent childhood and has overcome a great deal of his problems through martial arts and training others. Really, it's just about the person. It's like a gun: give a bad person a gun, they will hurt someone innocent, but give a good person a gun they will only use it to defend themselves. MMA and the arts that work for it like BJJ, Muay Thai, boxing and wrestling are just tools in the same way.

And MMA can make good role models for kids too: my MMA instructor won't give his students their next belts unless they have at least a B average in school and do community service. MMA can be used in great ways and he's had a major impact on those kids.

Of course yes, MMA has it's share of bullies, and I tend to not like much of the fan base, but with the good comes the bad, and it's that way with everything. I think far better that we have MMA and now know what works then go back to the 60s, 70s and 80s when no one knew how to fight on the ground and people thought some random kung fu school down the street was more effective than wrestling or boxing.

As for the street, of course a street fight is different than a fight in the cage or ring, but I hope never to have one. Knife defense is something that I have never trained and no matter how trained you are in Kali or a knife art you will get cut, and you are right, if you don't see a punch coming or whatever it doesn't matter how good you are, but for me it's SYMBOLIC: I just want to prove I have what it takes to get out there in front of a crowd and fight someone who has also trained and at least show that I am good enough to put up a good fight, win or lose.

But anyways, what style of martial art do you train?

You said Wing Chun which is effective IMO, anything else?

As far as breathing exercises, I do Wim Hof breathing which has significant crossover and is very good mentally.

You seem like an interesting person.
I will echo some of this. I have an old friend who is a professional boxing and MMA trainer as well as himself training in jiu jitsu. He refuses to train kids in MMA or boxing, I guess because he feels teaching striking to kids can easily turn the bullied into a bully. He insists that kids should focus on jiu jitsu as self defense. Then when they get older and show some maturity, can add boxing, muay thai, and/or other striking arts.

know what works ?

for what snotting each other.

give me a sword a bow or a couple of sticks and ill out snot the lot of ya.

so what ?

MMA has brought martial arts to the level of it is only about fighting and if your not that then its not for you or as you have seen you get lost trying to be that.

the ancient practices that people are stating here as life saving like many meditations and exercises for focus and connection are all based on some kind of martial art.

the idea that one needs to compete to practice or that it is the ultimate goal takes from all of the aspects of the arts that were originally there.

wing chun does not need kickboxing or boxing.

its not a sport and never was.

as for most kung fu its depth goes a lot further than just can I beat this dude up in a gym.

empathy humility connection with reality and respect are some of the main focuses on practising a traditional art.

and the most practice martial art in the world most would not even know you could fight with it.

TAI CHI.

we are getting older by the second if you only measure the art by its fight you may not wish to practice in the future and all of the true benefits

like helping with movement dure in ageing will be lost.

as of yet I have not seen a kid bully another with wing chun though I have seen little girls kick the shit out of sex pests at train stations with it.

good enough for me.

know what works ?

for what snotting each other.

give me a sword a bow or a couple of sticks and ill out snot the lot of ya.

so what ?

MMA has brought martial arts to the level of it is only about fighting and if your not that then its not for you or as you have seen you get lost trying to be that.

the ancient practices that people are stating here as life saving like many meditations and exercises for focus and connection are all based on some kind of martial art.

the idea that one needs to compete to practice or that it is the ultimate goal takes from all of the aspects of the arts that were originally there.

wing chun does not need kickboxing or boxing.

its not a sport and never was.

as for most kung fu its depth goes a lot further than just can I beat this dude up in a gym.

empathy humility connection with reality and respect are some of the main focuses on practising a traditional art.

and the most practice martial art in the world most would not even know you could fight with it.

TAI CHI.

we are getting older by the second if you only measure the art by its fight you may not wish to practice in the future and all of the true benefits

like helping with movement dure in ageing will be lost.

as of yet I have not seen a kid bully another with wing chun though I have seen little girls kick the shit out of sex pests at train stations with it.

good enough for me.
It's fine that you feel that way you feel, I just don't agree.

There's a very big difference between MMA and the arts that have been found to work in it and the old world of asian martial arts and yes, spirituality has been linked to those old ways through arts like Kung Fu and Karate and I would agree that some of that has unfortunately been lost in the modern MMA world, but who says you need to practice spirituality and martial arts together? As mentioned, I am into the Wim Hof Method which in many ways comes from Yoga and probably has much in common with some of the breathing techniques of Kung Fu, and more and MMA fighters and BJJ guys are practicing it. Rickson Gracie is very into Yoga and does breathing exercises, and I got my purple belt from a guy who has a school that teaches BJJ and Yoga together.

I never said Wing Chun needs boxing or Kickboxing, but it tends to fair better under MMA rules with some of those elements added because of the unique rule set and gloves.

To be honest, I'm sure you know that Wing Chun was one of Bruce Lee's favorite arts and yet, Dana White, UFC president, rightfully calls Bruce "the father of MMA" because he was VERY against traditionalism and believed in discarding whatever was impractical and adding what worked. That's why he also practiced some arts that are used today in MMA like: boxing, Muay Thai, Catch Wrestling and Judo, as well as Kali which is the go to weapon art for MMA guys.

If Bruce Lee were alive today he'd be a supporter of MMA and probably even have been a fighter if he was young enough. The funny thing is, people today see him as some traditionalist but he was RADICAL for his time and did NOT like all the katas and impractical movements practiced in so many ancient martial arts!! He said it over and over again in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, so it's a bit odd that you respect Bruce Lee but not MMA because he'd almost certainly have been a supporter. He said take whatever works and combine it and wasn't really into all the old ways.

***In fact, MANY traditional martial artists were PISSED OFF at Bruce Lee in the 60s and 70s cause they thought he was "ruining the culture" just like people think of MMA today!! It's very interesting how some traditional martial artists are history revisionists and think Bruce Lee was really into katas and old school stuff, but he wasn't. HE WAS ALL ABOUT PRACTICALITY.

Also, many Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu guys are humble and do combine some spirituality in their teaching and stress that the art is not about hurting others. Royce used to be proud of being able to win fights without even throwing a single strike, just taking them down and choking them, and BJJ is my core art. I practiced Kenpo, Karate for 7 years as a kid and got to 2nd degree brown belt but it wasn't practical. I have also crossed trained in boxing, wrestling, Muay Thai and MMA but I'm not that great at any of them.

As far as what you seem to be saying about "we are getting older by the second if you only measure the art by the fight and may not wish to continue, etc" if what you are saying is that people who are into MMA and BJJ won't train as they get older, that's far from true.

Helio Gracie trained till he died at age 99. I have known people training in their 60s, and their are age divisions for BJJ at every tournament I go to, for guys in 40s, 50s and even 60s. BJJ is often called "the gentle art" because you don't need strength and can win without hurting the opponent.

Why do I mention BJJ so much? Because it's my core art, and also the art that started MMA with Royce Gracie in UFC 1, who I personally took many seminars with as a teenager and who gave me the 1st 2 stripes on my blue belt.

"Traditionalists" also ignore the VAST history of WESTERN martial arts. There was the Pankration and wrestling and greek boxing of ancient Greece, there was Lancashire Catch as Catch Can wrestling in England, as well as Savate in France, Greco Roman wrestling, boxing used to be an art that included weapons like the fencing sword and cudgel and allowed grappling and kicks. Yet all of this is ignored by traditionalists who only like the Eastern arts and think that all martial arts came from the east. Well, that's just not true. Ancient Greece had arts just as long ago as China and Japan.

Most of the time, arts like BJJ, wrestling, boxing and Muay Thai are NOT used to bully people,
and if the wrong person learned Wing Chun they could most certainly bully someone with it.

So really, I don't understand this post. I have heard this kind of thing many times where practitioners of old asian arts get very very upset about MMA because they think it's "ruining the martial arts." In fact, my highschool math teacher believed this same thing as he trained in Karate but yet, he had never fought in his life so he didn't know if it would work, and chances are he didn't know how to fight despite being a black belt. We politely agreed to disagree on MMA, and he was always one of the best teachers I'd ever had.

It almost seems like you think I'm insulting you or your martial art, but I'm not: there's enough room in the world for all the ancient eastern martial arts and all the modern arts practiced in MMA. You can practice what you want, and we can practice what we want.

If you are upset that your art hasn't worked in MMA, then I don't know what to tell you, but Anderson Silva has used some Wing Chun in MMA, and I believe it's a good art.

And like I said, good teachers like mine are good examples for their kids and my instructor has a rule that none of his child students can get their next BJJ belt unless they have a B average in school or better and do community service on top of being worthy of the belt. It is up to the teacher to instill any values he/she wants into the art, and values CAN exist in modern day MMA. I don't like many of the MMA fans or many of the meaner more bully-ish MMA fighters as much as you do, but that's only SOME of them. They aren't all like that.

So yeah...it just seems like these days all the traditionalists are very upset about MMA, but there's nothing I can do about that. It was really only a matter of time before people would get together and put these arts together and fight on a bigger stage and of course with cable TV and the internet people would watch and not all of them would be respectful but that's just life. I mean it happened in ancient Greece, and it also happened in ancient Japan, but we just didn't have TV or the internet then. If we did, it would all be the same.

I don't necessarily believe MMA and BJJ and these arts are "all about fighting" as they can teach other values, but I mean, they are MOSTLY because that's what MARTIAL means, it means WAR. That's why there are "marshalls" in the Army. That's where it comes from. Nevertheless, many a street kid has been saved from his abusive home life by arts like boxing, wrestling and BJJ. Tito Ortiz said he'd be dead if not for wrestling cause it kept him away from gang life. Boxing has helped more young african americans and Mexicans to avoid lives of crime than can possibly be mentioned, and in the Favellas of Brazil many many MMA fighters and BJJ black belts have escaped INTOLERABLY VIOLENT SITUATIONS by practicing their art and having an outlet for their aggression and made it into a career.

There are "beat the streets" wrestling programs in school and in boxing gyms where people find kids who have a lot of aggression and teach them to channel it and save their lives. It isn't only Asian arts that can do this.

I am not insulting your art or traditional arts, I am just saying that SOME of them (particularly Aikido) do not hold up to a lot of real life combat, and fortunately MMA has been a proving ground that has removed the OVERLY "mystical" aspects of the martial arts so we can see what works. The downside has been perhaps some loss of the culture, but the upside is that now kids know they can't shoot fireballs of Chi if they reach the highest levels of Kung Fu haha.

So honestly, I don't know why you are getting so upset, and once again, i perfectly understand where you are coming from and think that the modern day MMA culture could certainly use more spirituality injected back into it, but regardless, it has IMO been the best thing that has ever happened for martial arts because it has shown the world what works and what doesn't. Better to have some bullies mixed with some good people and have us all know what works rather than shroud it all in mystery and hide the best techniques as was often done in ancient China. You can still practice your art and choose not to watch MMA, and others will practice theirs.

Last edited:
I'm still wondering though if anyone else has any examples from their own lives of positive NON-DRUG RELATED experiences that left a lasting or permanent impact on them. It doesn't have to be a recommendation for me, just something that you experienced so that I can hear it and consider how something like whatever it is might have affected me.

Honestly, I just want more examples, and I'm sure you guys have plenty of them.