• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos are hallucinations normal with benzo withdrawal?

butcher, i was addicted to xanax at 15, and quit cold turkey the day after i took 8 mgs at one time and stayed up all night on it. i started developing vision problems like your describing early on in my addiction. the only thing that makes it go away completely, is more benzos. im on ativan .5mgs right now, but without a benzo im also on prozac and geodon, and those both help quite a bit. but i went.. 5 months no benzos? and it only got worse, although i only had physical symptoms for 2 days, the psychotic symptoms stuck around and there still here. im going to attempt to play off this Anxiety disorder i have as a way to sort of undercover taper off of benzos. ive got no desire for the high anymore, but i desire the feeling of feeling normal. anti psychotics can really help you with the vision until youve been clean for well over a year or two. i cant tell you if it will ever go away or not. im going to enroll in college next year to study medicine hopefully to help people like us.
anyway im rambling, can you please describe in the best littlest detail you can your vision? like if you were staring at the corner of a brick wall.

Yeah, the w/d might just be amplifying the issues that were already there. I started taking amphetamines to remedy an issue with drowsiness (over the years I learned a fair bit about pharmacology and realise now it was depression caused by a deficiency of monoamines), and I also had restlessness from low dopamine levels. Long story short, I got into a big, insane polydrugging habit and now its time to go cold turkey. The drowsiness part I can handle, but the restlessness is a bastard. I feel for the poor bastards drugged up on antipsychotics in mental institutions, this is probably how they feel. Too tired to move, but too agitated to sit still. Ah its alright though, I'll survive it. I toughed it out before and was almost symptom free, but that depression bullshit that made me get on the drugs in the first place was still there so I got back on the amps to do this last year of college.

Have you tried other substances to counteract benzo w/d symptoms? Baclofen for instance? It will counteract hallucinations, agitation, prevent seizures and help sleep. Theres lyrica/gabapentin, clonidine, trazodone, antihistamines, and a wide range of other non GABAergic substances. I would try NMDA antagonists and see if they help too In fact, i think I'm gonna get my doc to prescribe me hydroxyzine next time I see him. He won't prescribe memantine, but hes fine with tricyclic antidepressants so if not hydroxyzine, I may go for amitryptiline, but I'm gonna research a bit and find out what the best TCA would be for this situation. NMDA antagonists help me a great deal, but I can't function on them, the cognitive impairment puts me out of commission. Thats strong antagonists though, I'd like to try memantine.

SPEAKING OF MENTAL PATIENTS AND ANTIPSYOTICS, like i mentioned, i also used alot of xanax, right along side stimulants (adderall) and quit them all cold turkey, since then ive been put on 2 different anti psycotics, (the first being zyprexa, which actually made all my w/d symptoms go away in a week, and Geodon, which.. isnt doing shit) i quit taking zyprexa because my doc got fired for prescribing xanax at a free clinic, anyway, ive been on prozac, geodon, and ativan .5mgs (just started twice daily 5 days ago) the reason i take them all is because im trying to find a cure in medicine for PAWS. if you want to get really fast results without taking a benzo, take the side effects (massive weight gain and munchies) and go ask for zyprexa. i swear to god it works for the vision and sleeplessness. if it diddnt cause so much weight gain id be tapering for 2 years and taking that shit daily and be completely normal.
just saying, dont rule out medicine in aiding in withdrawal. just because it says it treats schitzophrenia, doesnt mean you have it, and doesnt mean youll get it. i was nervous to take any crazy med myself but i dont regret it.