• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Are gabapentinoids as addictive as benzos?

WitchDr

Bluelighter
I'm a 32 yr old who's been on Clonazepam for 20 yrs an started trying to get off about 6 yrs ago. It has been hell trying to quit benzos and I feel they're very dangerous.
That said the doctors have put me on gabapentin to help with anxiety an it works! Perhaps to well? Not quite able to replace benzos with gabapentin but almost and that makes me think it's probably addictive.
The pharmacology I know on benzos an gaba is that benzos actually activate benzo receptors which activates gamma aminobutryic acid (gaba). And the effect benzos have is because they activate gaba in the brain. While gabapentinoids also activate gaba in the brain.

So to me it's seems from experience and my understanding of both drugs actions, they have similar effects when it comes to effect and dependence.

They are definitely addictive, and the withdrawal sucks. I would say, from what I've heard (never been dependent on benzos but I have on gabapentinoids), the withdrawal is not as bad as benzos. But it's no magic bullet, they are addictive. I think you're right that downstream they affect gaba receptors. They have a variety of effects.

They are definitely addictive, and the withdrawal sucks. I would say, from what I've heard (never been dependent on benzos but I have on gabapentinoids), the withdrawal is not as bad as benzos. But it's no magic bullet, they are addictive. I think you're right that downstream they affect gaba receptors. They have a variety of effects.
In my opinion, I do also feel that gabapentinoids are no where near as devastatingly detrimental as the benzo's.
They being benzo's are dangerous unless taken with caution. And even then are completely unpredictable although very therapeutical in dire emergency situ's.
Please proceed with utmost caution when using a potent benzo such as in dependence and reliability.