• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Are Benzos and Carisoprodol (SOMA) cross tolerant?

pally pete

Bluelighter
As the action of Carisoprodol/Meprobamate and it's effects on GABAa are not fully understood - I wondered if me having a large Benzo tolerance would mean that I would require more Carisoprodol/Meprobamate for desired effect?

I've taken Alprazolam, Clonazepam, and Pregabalin today. I do not feel intoxicated and I wish to attain that lovely warm rush/glow as the SOMA begins to hit about 20 minutes after ingestion. I do enjoy remaining concious, and maybe watching a film, and I'm not a fan of the SOMA SHUFFLE.

Although dosing can be tricky: sometimes 2grams and I don't notice a thing (complete disappointment!) or 3 grams and I don't remember a thing and it turns out to be a complete train wreck!

So is there cross tolerance?

Thanks.

Yes there is cross tolerance but its doesn't feel like a complete cross tolerance. They both work on GABA-A but in different ways, and carisoprodol has other mechanisms beyond GABA-A (such as reuptake inhibition of adenosine, which is sort of like the reverse of what caffeine does).

Would Soma have any cross tolerance with Clonidine, Zanaflex, or Z drugs?

Sorry to hijack thread but does cross tolerance accure with tramadol/,,co.codamol with benzos

Sorry to hijack thread but does cross tolerance accure with tramadol/,,co.codamol with benzos
Shouldn't So tramadol is a synthetic Opiate or something to that nature. and co-codamol? is that paracetamol and codeine which I think is Tylenol (live in U.s) ... so its Norco or Vicoden or perc.... So then no, Tramadol and Co-co-codamol connect to opiate receptors. Benzos connect to gaba receptors.

HOWEVER, they potentiate each other, and be careful mixing benzos and opiates.. Some people that's enough for an OD and others just 1 ingredient shy from the death trio (one of the muscle relaxers mixed with an opi and a benzo super high risk of CNS Distress and Acute total respiratory failure.)**** 🚫 not always, but when I was a tech, and we got our new pharmacy manager in in 2018 with all the new reports from that trio killing people, he made those patients change 1 of the 3 or find somewhere else. AND THEN ONE LADY WENT SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DIED THE NEXT DAY FROM EXACTLY THAT. I was always a skeptic... but yet addict who works in a pharmacy go figure.

As the action of Carisoprodol/Meprobamate and it's effects on GABAa are not fully understood - I wondered if me having a large Benzo tolerance would mean that I would require more Carisoprodol/Meprobamate for desired effect?

I've taken Alprazolam, Clonazepam, and Pregabalin today. I do not feel intoxicated and I wish to attain that lovely warm rush/glow as the SOMA begins to hit about 20 minutes after ingestion. I do enjoy remaining concious, and maybe watching a film, and I'm not a fan of the SOMA SHUFFLE.

Although dosing can be tricky: sometimes 2grams and I don't notice a thing (complete disappointment!) or 3 grams and I don't remember a thing and it turns out to be a complete train wreck!

Thanks.

Yes there is cross tolerance but its doesn't feel like a complete cross tolerance. They both work on GABA-A but in different ways, and carisoprodol has other mechanisms beyond GABA-A (such as reuptake inhibition of adenosine, which is sort of like the reverse of what caffeine does).
Abuse Potential of Soma®: the GABAA Receptor as a Target (nih.gov)

Carisoprodol Tolerance and Precipitated Withdrawal (nih.gov)

I just want to hit the 'sweet spot' without OD'ing and having the SOMA Shuffle nwhich freaks my friends/family out big time!

Thread hijack =D

Thread hijack =D

Please note my knowledge is very generic, I know a good bit, but not the in-depth chemistry, just what affects what receptors. Potentiators, interactions, I am better with the actual medical side than the chemistry side. Tramadol I could be wrong on actually, because while its technically a type of opi, maybe it does effect multiple receptors. IDK will check back to see if I am wrong so I can learn!

I don't think Clonidine/Zanaflex should have too much cross tolerance with Soma as they are not GABAergics (to my knowledge). Although they are muscle relaxants - so there may be some potentiation of effects.

Whereas Z drugs do affect GABA levels, (Specificially the GABA A a1 subunit) so there maybe some cross tolerance.. Although I can have a high tolerance to Benzos, yet my tolerance to Carisoprodol stays the same??? I think Carisoprodol (SOMA) is way less selective when it comes to hitting GABA receptors (

Hopefully somebody with more knowledge on the subject will chime in...

This may help explain some of the action.

Assessment of molecular action of direct gating and allosteric modulatory effects of carisoprodol (SomaRTM) on GABA A receptors (wvu.edu)

Thanks.
There is definitely some but not complete cross tolerance as others have said to the effects. If you trying to like keep out of withdrawal from benzos by using carisoprodol, I have my doubts but it won't hurt most likely.

Personally I find Soma in lower doses way more intoxicating than lower doses of most benzos but less likely to black you out if you go a little higher. It's still a possibility and I am just one man sharing his thoughts, but its what I find.