• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Are Bad Trips even a thing? (lsd)

Bad trips? Eh yea depending on your opinion of what that is. I've taken a ten strip and was fine but I took half a potent hit of one and had a negative, albeit useful trip. I believe it deals most with how your mind set is at that point in life and how satisfied you are with your performance in life. Set and setting also plays a role of corse but to much less of an extent, even more so with one who is experienced in the altered states psychedelics induce you in. IMO

My first & only (unfortunately) LSD trip was a strange affair... I stupidly took a tab at around 3am following a 15 hour Meph session.

It was verging on overwhelming at times. Essentially, I had this overpowering sense of fear for two or three hours. Not of anything in particular just a "general" feeling. At one point I remember thinking I was suffocating & was sucking air through the open window. I also clawed (not hard) at the walls going "No, no, no... please no!" over and over. I had no idea why I was saying it. By the end of the trip I was willing it to be over... although not a bad experience overall, it was quite mentally draining.

On the flipside, the best part was the come-up... I closed my eyes on my bed in my dark room & I felt like my bed was floating through the Universe with CEV of what I'd describe as akin to the lights of Las Vegas Strip taking the form of women who were waving seductively & beckoning me. =D

Despite the emotionally testing "bad hours", I was left with an afterglow & change of perspective that lasted a week or so.

As someone said, this can probably just be classed a difficult trip & is to be expected of a first trip.

This question has been asked many times. Yes, bad trips exist. I've never had one but I know they exist because other people have had them, and I've seen people on LSD completely forget where they are. Be happy that you've never had a bad trip, and keep using drugs safely so that you never have to.

This question has been asked many times. Yes, bad trips exist. I've never had one but I know they exist because other people have had them, and I've seen people on LSD completely forget where they are. Be happy that you've never had a bad trip, and keep using drugs safely so that you never have to.

Some unlucky folks experience bad trips, while some lucky ones never do. The simples definition is "if you have one, you'll know it."

Yes
I had a horrifying trip on LSD once, thought I was going to wake up from my trip 30 years in the future as a meth addicted prostitute for some reason
This same bad trip happened again on mushrooms but I imagined myself waking up in the future as a heroin addicted prostitute
Don't know why

I know the feeling thinking that since your trips are going so well, it can't be possible to even have a bad trip. But bad trips are as equally bad as trips can be wonderful if that makes sense? They can also flip incredibly quickly and if you don't know what to do/can't change what you're thinking about quickly, they settle in HARD. Combined with time dilation and it's an absolute nightmare.

I haven't had a positive trip since August. It started when I was on nos and it went from wah wah wahs to high pitch squealing to a banshee coming at me. The surround was black and white swirling inwards made from the words "SCREAMING". We were in a tent so the trip made the air look like denser fluids and my friends were holding up their hands 'swimming'/feeling through the fluid but they were doing it in time and it felt like they were possessed. This wasn't too bad, in fact it was part of one of my better trips and we went on to see the rest of the festival.

The next time we tripped together though was the single worst. They came up tripping 20 minutes ahead of me and everything that happened to me, happened to them 20 minutes previous. They then guided me through what would happen, but I was convinced they were trying to kill me. My thoughts almost became facts when one of them said 'MrPorter come with me' so I did, to the toilet, he locked the door and sat down on the floor, looked to me and said "here's the bleach". What was probably an hour later he handed me a jar of water (we were incapable of washing cups) but I was convinced it was bleach and I can't smell so had no way of telling if it was or wasnt. The other friend was also having a weird trip and blurted out 'have you ever thought about stabbing yourself and ending it all?' it's a disturbing thing to say anyway so while tripping freaked me out more. I decided that was it and wanted out so I walked home, at 2am on a saturday night.
Maybe I imagined it, but I was convinced they had said something like "if he goes that way he'll get beaten up", which could only mean that walking along the road instead of the darkest dingiest path known to man was my only option. This was fine until I had to either walk along a busy road with no pavement or lights, or miles along a lit path which passes by clubs. Only one option then - road it is. Got halfway along where there was no light at all, walking towards the path of oncoming vehicles but obviously on the side of the road. The clouds transformed into my friend stabbing himself, but like a gif. Never quite actually stabbing himself, everytime I looked back it restarted itself. I managed to get this imagery out of my head and continued. A car came, beams on full lit up my world. I was consumed by the light, time dilation came into play, I froze in this wide expanding light engulfed by it. I thought this is it, I've been hit, I'm dead. It felt like hours I was in this light completely still. Eventually I came out of it and decided immediately that I couldn't continue because I was only 1/4 of the way along this road and more cars were bound to come. So I turned back, managed to wave down a taxi. The driver was a caveman wtf (he was Indian) and looked incredibly evil. I couldn't bear facing forward travelling at the speed of light, nor could I close my eyes, nor look at him so I switched rapidly. Made it home. Paid £20 for a £4 taxi and ran inside.
Took 3mg of Etizolam (no tolerance, just wanted out asap - 1mg works fine for me when stimmed off my face) and chucked all my drugs in a box with a combo padlock (4 digits),changed the combo to something random and just lay on my floor. Must have been like 5 minutes but it felt like forever before I passed out. Luckily nothing ever came of it, my brother saw me and just thought I was incredibly drunk, maybe he sensed otherwise but it didnt worry at the time because in those 5 minutes waiting to pass out, time dilation kicked in again big time and I just kept thinking 'maybe another etiz will send me off'. Lucky I knew to set a random combo or I probably would have ended up ODing.

Moral of the story kids, bad trips can come when you're not expecting it. I've had a couple of difficult experiences where I've learnt stuff and one uncomfortable one where every single visual was either a cartoon gif/demotivational pic from the internet or an inspiration to just go and do something. It taught me that I love chemistry more than anything I've ever wanted to do but it also felt like the internet had brainwashed me since I spent so much time on it.
I've laid off the psychedelics and weed since then pretty much.

Last edited:
I have never dropped acid because I am afraid of having a bad trip and I think it would be a self-fulfilling prophecy. So I'm just too afraid to try it.

when people trip and get a visit from a demon.....
what does that say about their pysch ???
does it mean anything like stuff does in your dreams ?? says anything about their personality ??
i never had a demon but had a dragon breathing on me while naked in a lane before,
twas insane,
mate eneded up in hospital .... i went home an pissed on my tv for some reason .
uk liberty caps@ more than the recommended dosage lol

I've definitely had acid trips in which little HD demons with bloody cleavers were dancing in circles around my head laughing at me, or bad DMT trips where the black witch strikes me across the face with tornadoes and lightening bolts. I mean they were fucking awesome trips, but i guess they were bad.

I haven't had a bad trip, but I'm now sure they exist.

I tried LSD for the first time 2 nights ago (candyflipped, 180ug acid and about 200ug MDMA) and expected it to go 100% fine due to me never having bad experiences on any other drug I've tried.

During one point of the trip I was walking around in public and thought my left arm and left leg were parallel to the ground while I was walking, thus it was only my right leg controlling the movements - somehow I was floating along with only a single foot being involved in walking. At another point, I was walking down hill and my stomach (only my stomach, every other part of my body felt fine) felt like it was quickly rotating clockwise then anticlockwise in a vibrating fashion.

Both of these movements were entirely unexpected and I had never experienced them before or read anyone else describing it. This led me to panic a bit. I then thought about what happened and started having paranoid thoughts about people around me noticing these weird body movements.

This led to me having a slight freak out - something which I thought would never happen me.

After experiencing this I can imagine having a bad trip being a possibility if the experience was actually something major rather than the minor body sensations I got that led to me panicking.

What are some best ways to deal with a bad trip? Can you stop it by breathing exercises or something similar? Changing environment, putting the lights on/off and changing the music are some things I've heard of?

What are some best ways to deal with a bad trip? Can you stop it by breathing exercises or something similar? Changing environment, putting the lights on/off and changing the music are some things I've heard of?

Those things you've heard of are definitely helpful. Really just doing anything different for a little bit and keeping in mind that it's happening because you took a drug, can be very helpful. You also kind of have to learn how to "pull yourself out" of bad trains of thought, which can be pretty hard even outside a trip, and is never guaranteed, but is the most important part for me when I feel things going in a direction I don't like. I also learned this "skill" by having lots of trips...I was lucky my thoughts always stayed good in my earlier trips, before I learned how to "guide" my trips...

I can't really fathom a bad trip. I mean LSD just gives you a buzz, really, I don't see it as much different than like alcohol or cocaine or cigarettes even. I mean how do you have a bad trip on those, you know.

Maybe people are just taking crazy doses or something. I mean I've had my share of 3-5 hits of lsd and plenty of shrooms and i dont recall ever freaking out or anything.

^^ You seem to have very unusual reactions to psychedelics, between this post and your posts about your DMT experiences. If you just get a buzz from psychedelics, then I guess that's what they do for you, but you'd do well to realize that many people experience something far beyond a mere buzz from them. I find it really hard ti believe (not that I don't believe you) that 3-5 hits of LSD would just give you a "buzz".

Ya I can relate to not knowing what acid is until about my 4th time doing it. At first it's just like a bit giggly and funny stomach feeling when on a rollercoaster. That is before I took these purp colored jelly tabs that made me finally experience a real full dose LSD trip. Once you experience it you know that before this you weren't "really" tripping those times. A low dose is sometimes referred to as a museum dose which just makes everything a bit more lively but not a full on trip imo.

As for the bad trip I've only experienced really negative visuals and thoughts from too much fungus but never from LSD. Ofc trips can always have intense and maybe uncomfortable moments but it never got to the point of me saying it was a bad trip with cid. Also, as soon as I found out how to start my trips with a roll first and then dose after the peak I never again experiences a bad trip from cid so maybe that's why I'm not too familiar with the bad side of cid.

Last edited:
^^ You seem to have very unusual reactions to psychedelics, between this post and your posts about your DMT experiences. If you just get a buzz from psychedelics, then I guess that's what they do for you, but you'd do well to realize that many people experience something far beyond a mere buzz from them. I find it really hard ti believe (not that I don't believe you) that 3-5 hits of LSD would just give you a "buzz".

No, for sure I get fucked up and everything, I've taken it with people, I don't think my reactions are much different from others, I get the same crazy, worldly thoughts and stuff, but I mean the shit just gets you... high, like heroin or coke. Maybe I've just never taken a crazy dose or can handle them pretty well (ie not get freaked out by odd feelings), I just don't see how a trip can be bad any more than being drunk (but not plastered ofc) could somehow suddenly turn into a bad trip.

As for the bad trip I've only experienced really negative visuals and thoughts from too much fungus but never from LSD.

yea... i could maybe see it more with shrooms than lsd. I haven't done shrooms in a long time but I do recall it being a lot 'darker' and mind-fucked.