• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Archetypal images, Angels and Demons...Chicken or the Egg?

phuckingnutz

Bluelighter
I do/have often wonder/ed that when we see "archetypal" images while under the influence of psychedelics, most notably DMT, are we seeing these images because we have grown up seeing them, often unconsciously, because they've been around for thousands of years and then they come to the forefront during the trip or they've been around for thousands of years because people see them while using psychedelics and always have?
I'm not sure if my meaning is clear, but someone with better skills of expression than I could possibly elaborate on this idea...?

It's like when many people see the same things on psychedelics it is often dismissed as the image ha been in their head all along because these things, geometric patterns, angels and whatnot have been with mankind throughout recorded history or have these things been with us throughout recorded history because we see them while tripping.
I know these examples are very redundant, but maybe someone will catch my drift and have an opinion on this...

As different streams having different sources all mingle their waters in the sea, so different tendencies, various though they appear, crooked or straight, all lead to source.

My opinion is that these archetypal images/concepts/constructs are universal in nature. A seemingly higher or more basic level of the manifestation of intelligent infinity / intelligent energy / love that is the universe and "reality". Thus you get tools like the Tarot, etc. etc.

The joker, the fool, the lover, etc. Because what really is real? Is not all that has ever been, is, and will be imagined as real as anything that we experience as consensus reality? These archetypes are simply common patterns in the infinite creation that is us.

I absolutely believe that the human brain likely naturally recognizes various different personality types and/or "stories" if you will that are based on behaviors that already exist in the wild, and that a human brain on psychedelics could definitely Rorschach that into whatever seems most fitting based on any given individual's particular consciousness and knowledge. However, the more you try to connect specific imagery to that the more I think you might just be fooling yourself. Personally, I did not grow up in a religious household of any kind, and I do not see angels and demons while tripping. Pretty much all of the seemingly embodied characters I see on psychedelics just appear to be entirely normal humans, though wearing clothing that is trippy and artistically expressive, in an abstract kind of way, of the kinds of emotions I feel about them.

As different streams having different sources all mingle their waters in the sea, so different tendencies, various though they appear, crooked or straight, all lead to source.
OK, too deep for me, but I'm sure there are those who'll get this. Thank you.

My opinion is that these archetypal images/concepts/constructs are universal in nature.

They are universal, that makes them archetypes, but why?
Where did the first one come from? And why have they remained for millenia?
Was the first Angel really there and was drawn a seen? Not my opinion, just asking? Or was the first Angel a manifestation of an altered mind?

I absolutely believe that the human brain likely naturally recognizes various different personality types and/or "stories" if you will that are based on behaviors that already exist in the wild, and that a human brain on psychedelics could definitely Rorschach that into whatever seems most fitting based on any given individual's particular consciousness and knowledge. However, the more you try to connect specific imagery to that the more I think you might just be fooling yourself. Personally, I did not grow up in a religious household of any kind, and I do not see angels and demons while tripping. Pretty much all of the seemingly embodied characters I see on psychedelics just appear to be entirely normal humans, though wearing clothing that is trippy and artistically expressive, in an abstract kind of way, of the kinds of emotions I feel about them.
I wasn't raised in a religious household either and I don't see Angels and demons while tripping, but I don't see humans either (except on K), nor do I see "aliens". I used the Angels and Demons example because I lacked a better example except maybe the mosaic pattern, which I do see quite often. I am sure that our brain could "Rorschach" an Angel or Demon from the human form, but the universality is the part I don't quite get. And you are right, the mosaic and patterns like it are seen throughout nature and maybe the mosaics seen while tripping are just manifestations of those patterns made by our brains in a heightened state.
So, IYO, what we see while tripping are just the clay from which our minds mold the "trippier" things from?
OK, sounds plausible. So, by that reasoning everything we see tripping is from something we've already seen and that can explain a lot of the art and archetypes through history, but where did the first Angel or Demon come from?
This is my conundrum and I am back to my original query.
Thank you all for the enlightenment and I hope there is more to come as this question has bugged me for quite some time.

Last edited:

Pretty much this.

Though I'd argue that the religious entities people see on psychedelics might also be related to how these drugs can sometimes make perfectly ordinary and mundane things suddenly feel so much more *significant*. If you're already a "spiritual" person and you get stuck in a thought loop with an increasingly significant entity, your brain might eventually decide that it has to be a deity/demon/embodied avatar of some kind of pantheistic force.

Pretty much this.

Though I'd argue that the religious entities people see on psychedelics might also be related to how these drugs can sometimes make perfectly ordinary and mundane things suddenly feel so much more *significant*. If you're already a "spiritual" person and you get stuck in a thought loop with an increasingly significant entity, your brain might eventually decide that it has to be a deity/demon/embodied avatar of some kind of pantheistic force.

So the first archetypal images came from our minds and we-humanity-attached significance to them.
So the chicken is our minds on drugs and the eggs are the images?

Getting back to the "Angel" example, maybe a religious individual created this image in his/her mind and was able to convey through words or art their thoughts as to what this "thing" was and what significance it held and then it-the image-was adopted by the priests and shamans and voila' we had our first Angels?
So, is everything we see while tripping is some mundane object that we are morphing, both physically and spiritually, into something more than it really is?

OK, this is close to what I believe too, but it still messes with me that so many people see the same exact thing while tripping, especially, it seems, while on DMT.

Interesting topic

I am far from any kind of expert on this and I know little about Jung et al....

However these archetypes are already in ya head, like the experiences of all those who came before us is passed down somehow in the DNA or whatever

How did Jung dream about a penis at 3 years old when he didnt know what it was, how does a Yucca moth know what to do

What is instinct and why are we scared of say spiders from birth?, there is cleaarly knowledge/information already there

How does evolution actually work? like how can previous lessons and experiences be contained in what seems to be the DNA? WTF is happening

IMO the as humans we are predisposed to believe in religion because for thousands of years our ancestors truly believed and its contained in these archetypes, in ya head a predisposition to believe!

I wasn't raised in a religious household either and I don't see Angels and demons while tripping, but I don't see humans either (except on K), nor do I see "aliens". I used the Angels and Demons example because I lacked a better example except maybe the mosaic pattern, which I do see quite often. I am sure that our brain could "Rorschach" an Angel or Demon from the human form, but the universality is the part I don't quite get. And you are right, the mosaic and patterns like it are seen throughout nature and maybe the mosaics seen while tripping are just manifestations of those patterns made by our brains in a heightened state.
So, IYO, what we see while tripping are just the clay from which our minds mold the "trippier" things from?
OK, sounds plausible. So, by that reasoning everything we see tripping is from something we've already seen and that can explain a lot of the art and archetypes through history, but where did the first Angel or Demon come from?
This is my conundrum and I am back to my original query.

Hmm, so, do you still see some form of embodied characters though, like among the mosaics? Even just made of crazy abstract arrangements of shapes and such?

I find it very interesting that you say you do see people on ketamine. If you'll allow me to take a little bit of a detour here, let me explain a bit more of my theories behind this consciousness Rorschach.... Like you say, I do think that basically yes, at its core what we see while tripping is the clay in a sense, and then it is molded from there into the more complex and intricate parts of the psychedelic experience when milked out by higher doses, meditation, or so on. So, obviously I can't say with any level of certainty what the neural mechanisms are behind that, but I do think it's quite interesting that recent studies have found low doses of LSD to dramatically enhance the connectivity between the visual cortex and other areas of the brain, and so far they're saying they think this might be (seems logical enough anyway) responsible for a lot of the visual hallucinations and synesthesia and such. Of course, on a low dose of LSD the visual hallucinations really don't amount to much more than that clay.

On the other hand, I personally have some suspicion that the more complex hallucinations, what that clay is molded into, may have at least some significant relationship to the amount of dopamine flowing through one's brain. This idea makes sense to me given that dopamine is believed to be responsible for dreaming, and that is obviously a complex and lifelike hallucinatory world created by our brains that just bounces from one idea to the next and pulls things into existence whenever they enter consciousness, which can be as simple as noticing the slightest resemblance to them based on something else that's already happening. So, I think it makes sense that if you put yourself in ordinary waking consciousness, hyperconnect your visual cortex to get all kinds of raw sensory data flowing around, and then overstimulate that dream-constructing part of your brain, you would end up with the kinds of abstract but also structured hallucinations people tend to get on full doses of psychedelics.

The reason that I find it particularly interesting that you say that you see people on ketamine then though is because I also have some suspicion that most dissociative hallucinations in general are caused by increasing dopamine release in the specific pathways that cause dreaming, and this also seems to be true from the research of salvinorin A and muscimol despite them working through different mechanisms of action, and I think there might be something related to that going on with my psychedelic visuals as well.... It's worth noting too that most psychedelics also seem to release dopamine here, but I wonder if part of why people generally don't get as many structured hallucinations on them as something like an out-of-body dissociative trip is simply because their other effects are too intense and in your face for most people to easily push that high, as opposed to something like just becoming pleasantly anesthetized as you reach that point on dissociatives. However, I have a feeling that I personally have an overly strong dopamine release to many things.... I don't have any verified scientific proof of that, but without boring you too much, let me just say there are a lot of signs in my life that honestly extend as far back into my childhood as I can remember, things like random out-of-body experiences when I was younger to a state of near constant hypomania from adolescence onward, strong insomnia due to constantly racing thoughts, odd things like getting easily addicted to normally less habit-forming things but feeling easily weirded out or uncomfortable on things that most people find addictive, like a normal dose of amphetamine already makes me feel more psychotic than manic, etc., etc., etc.

So, when it comes to my psychedelic trips, I get the feeling that part of the reason I see so many people could just be because it is very easy for them to push me to a level of dopaminergic stimulation that is similar to what a lot of people get on dissociatives, which I think is also supported by the way they often make me feel quite manic, they tend to be much more stimulating and sexual than they seem to be for most (possibly all) of the people I've tripped with. Anyway, because of that especially I ask if you see embodied forms starting to emerge out of the mosaic patterns, because I wonder if you are getting the same thing I am getting, but simply that there is so much dopaminergic involvement in my own version that my brain covers up most of the abstract forms by making them more structured, resulting in my images of people simply wearing really trippy and abstract clothes instead. I honestly don't even really get that many geometric forms compared to most people I know, like they're definitely there, but when people describe like extremely intricate fractals and stuff, nah.... If I get that far out I'm usually seeing more like cities or forests or ancient buildings and such in my visuals, with basically any psychedelic, granted that I've mostly used tryptamines so far.

If that is all the case, I think it would be quite intriguing as well because I do think it would tend to support the Rorschach theory; it'd basically just be that everyone is tuned to their own levels of both raw and structured sensory information, and that would just be one of the many reasons why people have such varied responses to the same hallucinogens, with some getting more abstract visuals and others getting more complex ones, but them all generally seeming to work by the same overall mechanisms. That's just my thought on the matter anyway....

As for where the first angel or demon came from, I think you might be SOL with that question.... Whether someone imagined it or hallucinated it first seems pretty much impossible to answer. But, I do think it's worth considering that regardless of which one it came from, it would have been the same systems creating the image... just one on a subtle level, and the other an extremely obvious one. When I start thinking about it that way, I start asking myself things like did they feel they consciously created the idea, like just imagining wings on humans for instance, or did their minds just snap those concepts together, or, significantly, is there really any difference between the two to begin with? Is the same system just snapping ideas together at all times and sometimes we just feel it's more guided than others? And how do you find the right answers to that in retrospect when you end up with the same results anyway?

Questions, man. :)

Yes I think that the more archetypal the visions are the more basic, primitive and old they are... ancient like how humans are often afraid of spiders despite not living in the jungle anymore for many many generations, or like how baby chicks recognize the outline of a bird of prey. Going even further maybe you find some more Jungian or platonic forms.

But often we don't go quite that far (at least speaking for myself), and unavoidably I think a lot of culturally learned imagery we strongly associate will also come along in the process. So I think that in practice it's usually both in combination, but ultimately if you are purely talking about the archetypal images - yeah DMT is strong lol - I think it's the ancient amalgam of how we envision or imagine concepts that are the most basic of all. Like good and evil.

I never saw any chickens or eggs.

;p

Hmm, so, do you still see some form of embodied characters though, like among the mosaics? Even just made of crazy abstract arrangements of shapes and such?

. If I get that far out I'm usually seeing more like cities or forests or ancient buildings and such in my visuals, with basically any psychedelic, granted that I've mostly used tryptamines so far.

If that is all the case, I think it would be quite intriguing as well because I do think it would tend to support the Rorschach theory; it'd basically just be that everyone is tuned to their own levels of both raw and structured sensory information, and that would just be one of the many reasons why people have such varied responses to the same hallucinogens, with some getting more abstract visuals and others getting more complex ones, but them all generally seeming to work by the same overall mechanisms. That's just my thought on the matter anyway....
Questions, man. :)
I'm coming off a 100 mg S+Ketamine trip and it is as you mentioned below like I'm flying in an airplane and can see the ground below in all its greenery and splendor. I can actually feel the wind in my face and I have gotten to know my way around to a small extent. About the time I start questioning what I'm seeing, the trip is winding down as lucidity again takes the reigns. When I'm doing K, it's like going to visit at someones(aunt, uncle) that sort of thing. I arrive and am being welcomed upon arrival and not so much "talking" as thinking things "together".
I know I sound certifiably insane, but I've gotten to know some of these...people?, places?
I'll try and reread your post when I'm down again. It's a very complex world I've created in my mind...IF I created it. Maybe it's real....isn't reality what you perceive to be real?
Thanks for the braingasm.

I think it is partly from the resolving of fragments of vision while vision is sustained in layers (like looking through films)
the archetype emerges up out of any foggy shapes and angles into a form as one might expect to see. This can happen easily in chapels of various denominations which have icons and devotional shapes and altars which contribute elements to the vision aggregation.

In my experience it is always a progression in which something gets my attention and then, while watching, that thing transforms resplendently - unfolding into something else, whether it is vines into architecture, and then a cathedral, or shadows into people or elves, and no end of rainbow feathered headresses and adornments of light.

eventually the base or starter image fades like clouds and the aggregate vision changes to something else or turns away as if it has lost interest in me.

I am steeped in archetypes from studying tarot, but have not encountered angels or demons in my trips, more like animals or animal like visions, or complex geometries and botanicals.

Insect/spider/jointed legged creatures are pretty freaky except for shrimp which I like to eat, and if I think of that then I imagine what other bugs taste like but I have not explored that at all; still imagining their flavor makes me less scared of them. Wasps have engaged me a few times in trips, and that has oddly been rewarding, and nobody got stung or squished.

I'm coming off a 100 mg S+Ketamine trip and it is as you mentioned below like I'm flying in an airplane and can see the ground below in all its greenery and splendor. I can actually feel the wind in my face and I have gotten to know my way around to a small extent. About the time I start questioning what I'm seeing, the trip is winding down as lucidity again takes the reigns. When I'm doing K, it's like going to visit at someones(aunt, uncle) that sort of thing. I arrive and am being welcomed upon arrival and not so much "talking" as thinking things "together".
I know I sound certifiably insane, but I've gotten to know some of these...people?, places?
I'll try and reread your post when I'm down again. It's a very complex world I've created in my mind...IF I created it. Maybe it's real....isn't reality what you perceive to be real?
Thanks for the braingasm.

Sounds fantastic. :) That in particular sounds especially like my dreams. When I was a child flight was a very common mode of transportation in my dreams, but as I got older it disappeared along with other more nonsensical concepts. However, in my lucid dreams I still fly very often and it is just like you described, feeling the wind rush by and all.

My psychedelic experiences are still a bit more abstract than this, but the same kinds of concepts arise. As an example, here is an excerpt from the time I took 50 mg of MiPT:

"It started with feeling an empathetic connection to the artists, one of feeling every emotion they sing with flowing through me as if it was my own, and upon that foundation grew the ability to project entire perceptions into my field of experience. At first I was merely emotionally overwhelmed, and the visions consisted mostly of widely repeated swirling bodies and hands, usually the artist's but not always, and then they started turning into entities who I could feel guiding me through this powerful feeling. The first song I listened to had a longing, nostalgic romantic feeling to it and I felt my perception of my body dissolve until it left only my heart which was glowing and took on something of a biological clockwork machinery appearance, and suddenly it was surrounded by loving entities who were holding it up and carrying me through the heavy emotions with feelings of compassion. This allowed me to release myself into them at full force, which sent me more fully into an out-of-body feeling with watching beautiful, colossal geometric patterns shooting out from myself from a remote perspective along with my sense of emotional release, all while my body I saw falling towards the ground up from high in the sky, the clouds rushing by, and seeing my clothes flowing in the wind around me."

I feel like this is very likely a universal concept as well, as what person doesn't want to be able to fly? The connection to hallucinogenic states can be seen throughout history as well, such as how they say certain witchcraft rituals would use tropanes and other herbs to achieve feelings of flight.

And you don't sound insane. :) My experiences with lucid dreaming in particular have showed me just how much our dreaming selves have their own sets of vivid memories and behavioral traits, and that going deeper into that part of ourselves can be at least as insightful as it is hedonistic as long as we go in with the right intentions....

Interestingly, I also find that I often become lucid while dreaming as some of the dream is beginning to fade. I wonder if that's really just the peak of the dream passing....

I'm glad you enjoyed my musings as well. :)

Sounds fantastic. :) That in particular sounds especially like my dreams. When I was a child flight was a very common mode of transportation in my dreams, but as I got older it disappeared along with other more nonsensical concepts. However, in my lucid dreams I still fly very often and it is just like you described, feeling the wind rush by and all.
Interestingly, I also find that I often become lucid while dreaming as some of the dream is beginning to fade. I wonder if that's really just the peak of the dream passing....

I'm glad you enjoyed my musings as well. :)

I'd forgotten until now that the few truly lucid dreams I have had had the same "flyng theme in them. You're 100% right, who doesn't want to fly.
The ability I have to control my "Kavations" is very reminiscent of lucid dreaming, but I'd actually spaced that since after the few LD's I had I quit practicing abd haven't had a good LD in several years.
Gotta get back to that, lucid dreaming doesn't build tolerance like Ketamine.
I enjoy your input Kaleida.

Thanks phuckingnutz, I appreciate it. :) I enjoy what you have to say as well.

"Kavations"? I'd love to hear more about that. I'm not too knowledgeable about kava myself but have always been interested in learning more.

And yeah, lucid dreaming is great. :) It's really worth putting in the effort for at least a while. After a few years of focusing more on it I now get them at least a few times a month without having to try anymore, and I have at least vivid and memorable dreams pretty much every night, and that's including a daily cannabis habit. My control seems to improve over time both on its own and as I explore my mind more in other ways as well, in my most recent lucids I've been able to change pretty much anything smoothly right before my eyes. Definitely highly recommended!

Thanks phuckingnutz, I appreciate it. :) I enjoy what you have to say as well.
Thanks, all this time I thought I was the only one.

"Kavations"? I'd love to hear more about that. I'm not too knowledgeable about kava myself but have always been interested in learning more.

Actually I was referring to "K", not Kava. Maybe va"K"ations would have been better...?

Actually I was referring to "K", not Kava. Maybe va"K"ations would have been better...?

Ah, that does make more sense haha. In that case then yeah, that's cool because it's just what I'd expect. :) I find that psychedelics become malleable in a similar way around that point as well, a good number of tryptamines have gotten or at least started to get me to that point where pretty much anything you think of is projected into the visuals in front of you, and I know I've heard of others reporting that too on at least some of the stronger ones like DPT. I guess it's no wonder then too that the DPT and K combination is held in such high regard, I've not yet tried it or a similar combo but I've always heard such great things... which would seem perfectly logical if something about that actually gives it like the highest possible dopamine release of a psychedelic and dissociative combo, or at least close to it, both in the level of hallucination and in why it's just so popular in general, like anything that causes a huge dopamine hit. I guess I really need to get myself some ketamine!