• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Anyone Tried Amitriptyline For Neuropathic Pain?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I have severe diabetic neuropathy in my legs and it's becoming unbearable.
I already take several pain meds (codeine, morphine, gabapentin, naproxen) for that and other chronic pain.

Been wanting to have my morphine increased (I know the gabapentin is more effective for nerve pain, but I'm already on the maximum dose) and my doctor has suggested trying Amitriptyline first...anyone tried it for nerve pain? How is it?

I'm somewhat worried about serotonin syndrome too as I already take sertraline and trazodone.

Maybe cut something out as I have a step brother who takes pregabalin but he was on couple of meds antideps, bupe, benzos and he managed to stop all of them and now takes only pregabalin and MPH with ocasional ibuprofen.

Can I ask you does the pain wakes you up that you need to stand or walk just to stop?

I heard from colleagues in hospital that amitriptyline is being used for fybro and neuropathy but don't have data abou how good it treats bit will ask deff and will get back to you
edit: quote: I'm somewhat worried about SS too as already I take sertraline and trazodone

Yeah ask doc but SSRI and SARI already on top amitriptyline see what you don't need I know that first picks you up a bit and second gives you sleep.

Last edited:
I've only used it for sleep and negating alcohol cravings - both of which I find it excellent for (though I've never been prescribed it).

However, my Mrs has sporadic bouts of crippling sciatica for which she gets prescribed amitriptyline, diclofenac and co-codamol. This combination of drugs has never helped relieve her condition in the slightest.

Last edited:
I've only used it for sleep and negating alcohol cravings - both of which I find it excellent for (though I've never been prescribed it).

However, my Mrs has sporadic bouts of crippling sciatica for which she gets prescribed amitriptyline, diclofenac and co-codamol. This combination of drugs has never helped relieve her condition in the slightest.

In my experience amitriptyline is just a solid sleeping pill with plenty of side effects. It makes me more depressed although it's a antidepressant and doesn't help with my chronic pain at all. I've been taking 100mg for more than a decade. I would like to quit but I don't have an alternative. Regular sleeping aids just don't work.