• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Anyone take psychedelics while on Amitriptyline (Tricyclic Antidepressant)?

IMOTP

Greenlighter
I am especially curious about LSD's interaction. I am having trouble finding solid info. I just started taking 10mg a day.

I doubt it's dangerous... but amityptaline is such a shotgun of a TCA that I doubt you'd be able to feel anything. It'll fill up the receptor sites LSD needs to bind. My honest advice would be to avoid LSD while on anti-depressants (and to switch to an SSRI or something a LITTLE less archaic than a TCA).

I doubt it's dangerous... but amityptaline is such a shotgun of a TCA that I doubt you'd be able to feel anything. It'll fill up the receptor sites LSD needs to bind. My honest advice would be to avoid LSD while on anti-depressants (and to switch to an SSRI or something a LITTLE less archaic than a TCA).
Thanks for the reply. I am not taking it for anti-depressant purposes I am taking a low dose of it for pain purposes which an SSRI will not help with. Ive only been taking it for a few days and may get it off of it anyways due to adverse reactions to it. My body seems to be rejecting pretty much all medication at this point and may not be best course of action.

@IMOTP - It will have no impact at all. 10mg is a very small amount (150mg is for depression). I take 10-20mg nightly to help me sleep, never dampens or strengthens the psychedelic experience for me.

@IMOTP - It will have no impact at all. 10mg is a very small amount (150mg is for depression). I take 10-20mg nightly to help me sleep, never dampens or strengthens the psychedelic experience for me.
Seriously? 10mg had me acting like a zombie, limp dick, rude to my wife for no reason, extreme apathy, couldn't get out of bed in the morning. One of the worst medications I've ever been on...

Seriously? 10mg had me acting like a zombie, limp dick, rude to my wife for no reason, extreme apathy, couldn't get out of bed in the morning. One of the worst medications I've ever been on...
Interesting - first few days it made it difficult to get out of bed, after that totally fine for me. Much better than benzo or Z drugs for sleep as the consequences of being on those for a long time are significant. My understanding and experience is that a low dose of Amitriptyline is fairly straight forward in coming off. I sometimes cycle to CBD (prescribed) and Melatonin 5mg instead of the Amitriptyline.
Did you try the Amitriptyline for more than a couple of days?

I would completely avoid taking any psychedelic drugs while on a TCA. Ask your doctor if it is safe to use cannabis.
Interesting - in my experience a 10mg dose has had no interaction whatsoever.

I think it would be different if you were taking an antidepressant dose (75mg-300mg)