• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

anyone owercome derealisation from weed?

justsomeguy619

Greenlighter
Hello, i am a 23 year old guy who has experienced derealisation for about 3 months now, i used to smoke almost daily for 6 years and my question is if any of you heavy tokers have experienced it and gotten over it? I am also a bad hypochondriak and worry about brain damage.

just smoke more often have you took a long break ? i took a 1 week break because i had to and when i smoked i had those feelings but i just kept smoking and it was fine :)

Weed doesn't cause brain damage. Change your set&setting, keep active in your life, exercise... the normal things.
Also try not to smoke if you're anxious or worried about something and take little hits if you have to.

If you stopped smoking and you're still experiencing derealization 3 months later then it could be something else not related to cannabis. Do you have any history of mental illness?

YES IT DOES GO AWAY! I had it really badly for ~8 months, moderate for another ~4 months and now i feel ALIVE and so does everything else

in this year long period there even was a 5 month period where i completeley abstained from marijuana and i really started seeing improvement after 3-4 months, even so that i even smoked a bit after

derealization sucks. mj doesn't always cause it, but if it caused you a few times, then you better abstain from it. the second thing you MUST DO is accept it: no it's not 'brain damage', no you're not going crazy or fried your brain etc... there are no medical treatments. then, forget about it.

focus on trying not to get stressed and anxious - it exacerbates it - and move on with your life, which is a tricky part

btw, on my point of view (pseudoscientiphic), derealization is your brain dulling your experience of consciousness because it feels reality/your mind is kinda dangerous, as to avoid/dissociate you from bad feelings/situations. also, in a less pseudoscientiphic manner, i read a few articles on derealization and subjects suffering from it apparently had less emotional response from visual and sensory stimuli - visual hypoemotionality -, less connectivity from the visual to the limbic system.

again i view this as a defense mechanism from bad situations. like a bad trip causes it: your brain sees reality and your own consciousness getting very weird and scary so it dulls it out a little bit.

it'll not go away if you don't accept it and forget about the 'i'm damaged' thoughts, derealzation itself is an issue of not accepting/facing some issue (the situation which left you like that earlier)

well, sorry for the rant but stay positive yes it does go away!!

When I first started smoking I didn't have any issues but after a long break I would have outer body experiences, you name it. It wasn't until I learned that if I smoked less and was extremely cautious about moderating my dosages that I could avoid some of the side effects like this. Smoking regularly builds not only builds up a tolerance but makes less likely to suffer from these issues too but some people will never be able to smoke without having these unpleasant experiences.

I'm not sure about "derealization", but I've had a few bouts of crazy paranoid mania on weed & have managed to enjoy it afterwards. And I'm talking about real, serious anxiety and fear, pretty much worse than anything I've ever experienced in my entire life. A lot of people come on this forum and complain that weed has "turned on them", that they used to smoke it all the time for the past decade or whatever and now they don't like it...to which I say just put the pipe down for a while if you don't like it anymore. If you feel like it, return and try it again. Trying other strains or simply reducing your consumption can also be beneficial.

It's never happened to me; but you should either stop smoking or using herb completley, only smoke or get stoned when and where you want to and when you're in a good mood, or smoke more often like on weekends or daily so you get a tolerance and become more used to being stoned. Good luck. Try other types/strains of herb and hash as well. Maybe try out a vaporizer?

Well i did not quit smoking immidaetly, now i have. I did have a history of anxiety, i have always been a major hypochondriak, wich got out of hand a few years ago then after a few nocturnal panic attacks dr kicked in. I was a. Heavy weed smoker so i was worried it caused some kind of damage.

I got over it, I stopped using weed for awhile.

To be honest, weed put me in very obsession train of thought, with daily use, stuck in that pattern...

The depersonilzation and derealization came about and that mindset made it much worse.

Best advice is just stay active, don't dwell in your house.

I've suffered from derealisation & it's such a terrifying experience. Not weed related though.

It does go away, but no one can tell you when. I was diagnosed with Labrynthitis, by a neurologist.

It did actually make an appearance after an incredibly stressful event,
Pls just try not to stress or be anxious, you will overcome this.

Rtp

Thank you guys, i can finally drop the brain damage theory and move on, i will give it time. You guys are Awesome

I've overcome it, although I relapse every now and again. I experienced all the symptoms you describe. Purely down to anxiety.