• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Anyone have stomach pain from opiate use or during withdrawals?

Crack'r

Bluelighter
Just wondering if anyone has had fairly uncomfortable stomach pain/discomfort after using opiates or while going thru withdrawals?

If so, roughly where and what does it feel like?

It's pretty common to have cramps/diarrhoea whilst coming off of opiates.

I would take some Buscopan to get rid of the cramps and Immodium for the shits.

What are you withdrawing from?

Yeah but it isn't constant at least. I've had episodes last briefly typically below my rib cage, sometimes to one side. I think mine had a lot to do with the nausea and not eating enough.

For me cramps stomach ache is the first thing I feel when I wake up and have withdrawals , it's cause when you take opiates daily and are addicted your shit gets backed up while you're on the opiate. During my sleep once 8-10 hours pass without any I wake up in withdrawals and my stomach hurts cause all that shits gonna come out at once. (Actually happened right before I went to post here ) overall for me at least, the stomach issues aren't the biggest problem . I do IV blk tar .5 a day what are you on?

when in w/d I often get not only abdominal cramps but also nausea and stomach pain (as in pain in my stomach proper, just below the left ribcage).

I have had abdominal pain for almost a decade. Fairly severe or at least bad enough to be miserable from it thru a good part of the day. For some reason it goes away at night around when I normally sleep. It started when I was in the hospital and got IV dilaudid for the first time and often afterwards. I started with severe leg pain while getting an infusion and was literally writhing in pain and I got it often after that. Then stomach pain started and I have been on pain meds ever since. Been on 400-600 mg of psychotic and dilaudid but only like 30 mg of that number. It worked but eventually my tolerance exceeded my docs willingness to keep up. So I started crushing everything, putting in water, and plugging. Made the pain go away and stuck.

I have a blood disease and there is a common complaint of abdominal pain. But it normally only occasionally happens when someone is in crisis and there blood counts plummet. But my type is a bit more rare and to my knowledge I've never had a crisis. But that is why my doc was so willing to continue with pain meds.

Just wondering if it could be some fucked up cycle where I take pain meds, pain goes away, then causes pain once analgesic effect wears off?

My pain is just below my ribs, about centerline and 5-6" across. I never really ever had stomach issues except heartburn a few times and really bad gas a couple times where it felt like an organ ruptured and then moved and immediately went away.

I tapered from 120 mg at once to 4 mg. Was able to do it quick for some reason. About 2 weeks and didn't have much pain so went as quick as I could dropping a good amount almost every day.

I quit a week ago and had decent withdrawals but not as bad as the last time I tried. I thought I was thru it but yesterday I think I had them the worst yet. And today wasn't great and I had bad stomach pain. It got so bad I eventually took 1 dilaudid. It took the edge of pain for about an hour. But then completely went away. And has been gone for almost 8 hours, much longer than dilaudid would provide, but I can feel it starting to come back but can also feel a tingle of WD.

Sorry do long. Just trying to get my life back on track and a bit more normal.

Well crack' dilaudid was my cure all. I'm off it a few days and have had pain where you're describing as well as down and slightly off center. I just figured it was part of the program at this stage. If you went back to oral yeah it wears off quick and weak. If you plugged that 1 pill I could see its having a longer effect most def. You may want to get a good doc to check you out though as it could be something different altogether like a hernia or elevated liver enzymes as that's about where stomach/liver sit. Maybe it's nothing and it will resolve on its own but peace of mind is its own reward.

I have INTENSE burning sensations in my stomach when my dose of buprenorphine is wearing off. I am trying to get off the stuff, so I dose every other day instead of qd. The second day I seriously NEED to medicate for the pain. Any antacid, like Calcium Carbonate or Magnesium Hydroxide, will instantly cure the sensation.

Also, H2 antagonists like ranitidine and PPIs like (es)omeprazole help tremendously, and last longer, but take longer to have an effect.

So the problem clearly has to due, at least in part, with excess acid in the stomach. I have severe chronic pain, as part of PAWS mixed with a nasty 70MPH head - on car crash with a drunk driver a few years ago, so I admittedly gobble Naproxen and Meloxicam like candy (not at the same time).

So I may very well be dealing with some mild ulceration - but I only feel the pain when in a state of semi to full withdrawal.

Hey Crack'r...Constipation? I only ask because I suffer with pain under my left rib cage radiating into my back. It became so severe last Fall, we went to the ER. CT showed a "bowel filled with stool" and "bladder filled with infection".

I knew I had issues with constipation, but had no clue how dire my situation was! I had a partial obstruction, even though for me I thought I was "normal".

I hope you can find answers and relief!

It's been 10 years of pain at this point. It's hard to describe but a constant, hot, burning, cramping type feel. But nothing like any heartburn I've had. I would rather have sharp intense pain as I know what and why and I can handle it better. This is almost like a bad headache, obviously not exactly, that is dull and constant. A bad headache is about the worst thing to me.

I've had many scans and tried many meds. Muscle relaxers, ulcer meds, acid blockers, stomach coaters (Rx not pepto), and only thing that really touched it was the pain meds.

I never had a scope cause the Dr wanted to completely anesthetized me which is not normally required. Because of my health issues my other Drs advised against it. I should have found a different Dr but I didn't because my treating Dr said they were generally worthless and he didn't think they would find anything based on symptoms. But I'm going to find someone to do it as well as a vascular study with contrast.

I'm still determined to stop opiates even if I have to take 1 dilaudid every couple days to get thru worst of it and eventually get off. But I have an appt with my dad's Dr who he talks to about me and I think he won't stop until they figure something out. He's already super impressed that I stopped on my own from those amounts, I haven't told my main Dr yet because, well he sucks and is new after good one quit, and it was said there was a good chance they wouldn't give me pain meds again after telling them I want to quit and them helping. Dr said it takes an open minded doc to do that which mine is not. He has told me he doesn't want to see me and I should go 1.5 hours away, he won't look me in the eyes, and sees me for 2-3 min, scribbles a couple things and runs out. Little bitch. I have a very rare disease which he admits he knows nothing about and yet won't let me move to a different Dr in the practice that I know is seeing the one other patient in this part of the state (only about 200 people have it in US). I need to find a different Dr, but he keeps giving meds, and they give me literally the most expensive med in the US every 2 weeks. Over 100k/month and I know they get kickbacks for using it. So he wants to give me the meds but wants me to see another Dr for my care.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Just really tired of the side effects of that high dose for this long. Want to get off them bad and try to reach some type of normal even if it takes a year. Just can't deal with pain all the time and WD on top are really over the top.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Bad politics suck. I hope things work out soon for you to get things figured out and get set with some decent doctors.

Oh yes. I got particularly brutal cramp like pains while wding from PST. I think its a combination of heightened pain sensitivity from WD and constipation from opiate use, because it was always worse for me with opiates that stopped me up more.

I have IBS and when i am withdrawing or sometimes even when i am not and it flares up it get's really bad. I usually take a anti-spasmodic such as Dicycloverine aka Bentylol to help the stomach pain which i find works great. The Morphine does help control my IBS but i have been on it so long it won't help the wot of the IBS unless i take a shit ton.

I have gastritis. I learned after having an endoscopy. I would suggest having an endoscopy done to gauge if there is any damage to your stomach. Dexilant managed my symptoms pretty well.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to see a new Dr next week and hopefully he can help figure it out.

I guess I'm still not convinced it's the opiates or at least they are aggravating something. But I stopped taking everything last Thursday and I've taken one dilaudid a couple times and it's enough to keep most withdrawals away which also seems to keep a lot of the stomach pain away. But if I don't take that one dilaudid I start getting pretty bad WD even now 9 days later though not technically.

I'm thinking a small methadone dose tapered over a long time might help. Now I just have to figure out how to go about that. I want to get completely off everything. I just can't go thru WD and pain indefinitely. Last time I stopped I went 17 days and still felt like crap and had the stomach pain and couldn't take it and started again. But now I have a daughter I take care of and can't be miserable and worthless that long because I have to take care of her.

Just really don't know what to do at this point. I'm trying really hard to do this by myself but it's not quite enough.

Yes, I often get a feeling sort of like stomach cramps when I take opioids of any kind. I think the worst was with codeine. I took about 200 mg, which isn't even that much for a typical recreational dose. I was literally balled up on the bed for 2 hours and it hurt to even turn over. It felt like my stomach was being squeezed in a vice. I am now taking a controlled release oxy formulation and the stomach pains aren't that noticeable most of the time. Opioids cause histamine release, I wonder if this is possibly what causes the pain , although I'm guessing. I always take them on an empty stomach for maximum effect so this probably is part of the reason for the cramps