• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Anyone ever used a Healthstone vapor slide (bowl)? Opinions?

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
I like using concentrates, but I have a very hard time working with them due to arthritis. I've got a couple of nail/dome sets that have been sitting in a closet since December/2012. I just can't use them.

So I was looking over some new toys on the Aqualab web site, and saw that they had slides (bowls) where a Healthstone fits in. For those who don't know, Healthstones are inert sintered glass pieces where you can drop your dab, wax, crumble/etc on. You then use a torch lighter to liquify your hit, and it adsorbs into the Healthstone. A more intense application of the torch lighter and it vaporizes out, through the bong and into you.

I probably have the terms wrong since I've never seen or used Healthstones, but I have no problem using an open top bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzuxSgUgDfc

^^^ Is a link to a video showing the vapor slide in use.

Price is reasonable, but I'm looking for someone who has used one (or any Healthstone product) and how you find that it works with concentrates. Also interested to know if it increase drag a lot....or at all.

Thanks

Tom
(something like this could mean a switch from me using concentrates vrey little to a lot)

Reminds me of brillo pads crack smokers use. Probably works well crackheads are experts. :D

I've used a healthstone and it's definitely worth the money. In my experience it makes dabs a lot more 'social', if you're sitting around with a couple of friends you can actually pass the bong around. The trick is not using too much product, and not to rip it as hard as you'd like, but rather sip it. It prolongs smoking as you don't have to a dab all in one go, you can easily get 3-4 decent hits off of what you might consider a normal dab (or of course you could just clear it in one hit). It's also a lot better than waiting for a nail to heat up, you can just load it and it it.

I would recommend a butane torch similar to this one, rather than a tank of butane or whatever. This is just my personal preference, but I think it conserves oil a little better because the flame isn't as big, and you can 'corner' the bowl.
31DYE6AtoZL._SY300_.jpg

I'd highly recommend picking a healthstone up, they're just a great way to smoke concentrates. Make sure you get a couple of replacement stones though, heavy use will break the stone in a month or two.

Salutations,

...some new toys on the Aqualab web site... ...Healthstones are inert sintered glass pieces...

The porous material i saw on that previously linked video is dark and quite reminescent of SiC pucks as those i got in my VaporGenie pipe.

...crackheads are experts.

Only a crackhead could tell i guess, though this material is so polyvalent we've actually learned about it too!...

%)

...the flame isn't as big, and you can 'corner' the bowl.

The lighter being an integral part of the setup it's an important element that i found more suitable with its flame at an angle, since i use a pipe - on the side to be exact. I'd suggest one gets TWO jet-lighters, to swap them around in order to avoid the risk of over-heat incidents...

Make sure you get a couple of replacement stones though, heavy use will break the stone in a month or two.

Definitely yes! But don't forget to get those replacements at the time of purchase... Jus in case.

Anyway one reason why VaporGenie insists on their web site that their "Ceramic Filters" are "monolithic" would have to do with sintered materials being less resistant to stress-induced craking, apparently, which i've observed myself in the begining but after a while there was little challenged spots left to crack - not to mention i've perfected my ritual a great deal meanwhile.

My VG monolithic Silicon-Carbide discs sure proved very cost-effective, in more ways than one.

Good day, have fun!!

=D

Thanks for the info and tips

iodo - I ordered a 14mm male bowl and an extra stone. If I end up liking the setup, I can always order more. I don't anticipate running through them all that fast since I'll still mostly be smoking flowers. Do they have a tendency to break, or is it only will repeated heavy use? I learnt how to corner a bowl with weed, so it's nice that I can still use that technique.

Egzoset - Will definitely pick up 2 torch/jet lighters. I've got a few single torch ones, but they've been clogged by me using cheap butane, and yes I've burnt myself by repeatedly using one too frequently. Do you mean the flame is at a right angle to being gripped? Different than the picture iodo posted, right?

I will have fun :)

Tom

Hi there!

I ordered a 14mm male bowl and an extra stone. If I end up liking the setup, I can always order more.

Should e-Commerce be an option to me i'd sure want to experiment much further with healthstones myself some day, but i never seen a glass pipe that can be adapted as i've done with mine. In any case you've picked what should prove to be a safer strategy as it supports vapor conditioning done quite close to the source! :)

Relatively to dry shreaded cannabis flowers it's not too clear to me what to expect though, i should have investigated further when i was told about healthstones but there are no glass pieces to match my own needs. Actually, using a direct path as in the Healthstone Glass "White Vapor Hand Pipe" version (see next pictures) i'd probably react much the same as with my 1st genuine VG: i gave it away to a freebase user who was quick to "loose" its handle/bowl as he thought herb was meant to be burned on top... I can only imagine why i never seen that wooden stem again!...

8)

Anyway i figured something like this would most likely cause me discomfort after prolonged use:

34ss5nc.jpg
mhgk87.jpg

So, that's one reason why i find your selection preferable.

I don't anticipate running through them all that fast since I'll still mostly be smoking flowers.

With hot gases and radiative heat turning an SiC puck red-dim it's quite possible to vape crushed nuggets, but i never done it with a ready-made pipe as it comes out of the store: the VG learning curve was still just too steep for me last year! Actually i needed a lot of involvement but i finally found fair equilibrium in my modding choices, yet i believe if i could manage then we should be confident most other people will only succeed, maybe after using some perseverance.

In the begining you'll often hear cracks from the weak joints breaking, i came to adopt cotton in the stem to catch paticles including eventual SiC bits that detached and passed through the whole filter - something i guessed was unlikely but not impossible. So i always use cotton filtering now, long after the cracking has disapeared...

%)

Anyway you're on a nice path and if at 1st it fails then i wish you won't be too quick to give up hope, because the cumbustion alternative is no health-wise deal at all on the long run. At least there's the option to use wax if i understood correctly, i heard that should be real smooth... And there will be reclaims too since that's glass!

26.gif

Well, please consider sharing the good vibes when you'll feel ready to post an appreciation review!!
14.gif

Do they have a tendency to break, or is it only with repeated heavy use?

Relatively to heay use it may help to know that VaporGenie calls their SiC pucks "Ceramic Filter" because this material is useful in metalurgy... To filter molten metal, exactly! That tells me if it's treated with respect then a disc may last for years, unless it eroded from repeated reconfigurations as a consequence of extensive modding.

Aqualab appears to offer the proper SiC pellets (20~25 $ can be expected) with neat wire-like walls and large cells while i've seen crap elsewhere with corse/bulky walls and irregular cells that failed to endure much of this intense stress:

2ij1e86.jpg

At least i can testify it was brittle as hell. Also, notice how poorly distributed the pocket sizes appear to be... That i think illustrates the importance to find a provider you can trust.

I learnt how to corner a bowl with weed, so it's nice that I can still use that technique.

That's probably more skills than i'll ever manage to acquire: instead of adapting to my pipe i ended up adapting it to me...

:\

I was confident that if i gave it the time my body would learn some of the basics practically unconciously, which i think it did through routine. More work was necessary for the balance of my ritual but i eventually succeeded to a fair extent and i'm satisfied today.

...yes I've burnt myself by repeatedly using one too frequently.

It's no luxury, i even like to have a wet paper where to put those on, so these will cool off even faster:

Do you mean the flame is at a right angle to being gripped?

The lighter pictured above has a retractable head that won't pick particles, i found it at Canadian Tire and it does a fair job at my scale, though the angle is only ~45 ° and that's nearly as much contorsion my wrist can take: i fire the front-puck holding that pipe on its side, on top of that. Imagine if i were to heat it from the top as shown on the manufacturer's site! It way be appropriate for yellow flames but jet lighters are something else. My favourite so far has been the Slim "Gun" because of its convenient grip. Definitely different from what you've shown me as there's only 1 jet - but i gather your application may call for more power while i've been heading toward the opposite direction... Which somehow may be one reason why i wonder how wax and flowers can be handled without changing the configuration.

I will have fun...

Yep Tom! It seems you will!!

=D

. Do they have a tendency to break, or is it only will repeated heavy use? I learnt how to corner a bowl with weed, so it's nice that I can still use that technique.

Not necessarily; when I first got mine, I used it 5-7 times a day for about two weeks, and the stone collapsed in. But when I changed the stone it, it's lasted about 8 months.

I assume the first stone was defected and shrugged it off, but it's always better to have an extra and not need it.