• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Anyone ever been on LAAM? (Orlaam aka levomethadyl acetate)

Midazle

Bluelighter
Ran across this on a pharmacology article while reading about Methadone, levomethadyl acetate has a half life of 2.5 to 3.5 days and was used much like methadone except dosing was 3x or even just 2x a week! Dosage was about 1.3x the dose of whatever the persons methadone dose was. I read about a few users on opiophile who were on it but I'd like to see if anyone else has any input....Idk I find it really interesting, although I imagine if someone overdosed on this shit you'd have a narcan drip for 3 days straight :O.

It was recalled due to hERG inhibition causing long Qt syndrome (a heart problem), I thought.

wiki said:
In 2001, Orlaam was removed from the European market due to reports of life threatening ventricular rhythm disorders.[2] In 2003, Roxane Laboratories, Inc. discontinued Orlaam in the US.[3]

Probably makes a poor daily maintenance drug for that reason.

Would be cool to have an opioid you could dose once then be high for days. Would be less cool when you run out and get withdrawal for months/years. I'd like to try this, but it's doubtful I will ever aquire it.

^ I'm pretty sure it's not allowed to be prescribed to anyone who isn't currently on a maintenance dose and haven't been switched over to methadone.

IIRC its no longer used, due to the aformentioned hERG-related gene inhibition.

Funny fucking name. Human-ether-a-go-go-related gene.

It was recalled due to hERG inhibition causing long Qt syndrome (a heart problem), I thought.

Probably makes a poor daily maintenance drug for that reason.

IIRC its no longer used, due to the aformentioned hERG-related gene inhibition.

Funny fucking name. Human-ether-a-go-go-related gene.
Yeah I read about that so I don't need you guys to wikipedia commando that for me....I'm interested in experiences with it even if its in the past, and rare. The cases of the heart related gene inhibition were in persons with underlying heart conditions although like propoxyphene the manufacturer didn't want to risk it when Methadone was already a suitable choice...I just like the novelty of this drug. Weird though all the drugs in the Methadone family seam to cause risk for some type of heart issue...

Would be cool to have an opioid you could dose once then be high for days. Would be less cool when you run out and get withdrawal for months/years. I'd like to try this, but it's doubtful I will ever aquire it.

The withdrawal on it would be like 2x the horror of a Methadone withdrawal which is scary...that said I never understood why people fear methadone withdrawal...you can easily taper off it using a short acting opioid like Morphine, Heroin or Hydromorphone and suffer far far less...in fact I talked to a doctor who used Morphine sulfate for persons tapering off Methadone so they would be in their 2 week+ hell of withdrawal in some cases. I heard its slightly more euphoric than Methadone which is interesting....

Ran across this on a pharmacology article while reading about Methadone, levomethadyl acetate has a half life of 2.5 to 3.5 days and was used much like methadone except dosing was 3x or even just 2x a week! Dosage was about 1.3x the dose of whatever the persons methadone dose was. I read about a few users on opiophile who were on it but I'd like to see if anyone else has any input....Idk I find it really interesting, although I imagine if someone overdosed on this shit you'd have a narcan drip for 3 days straight :O.

Actually my best friend was on LAM in Baltimore around 2000 I think, Hopkins had a free LAM program (it was a study), he went every 3 days and dosed. Him and his mom were on it and the loved it. He said they stopped LAM because the withdrawals were too bad and people couldn't get off it. He was on it for a year or more, and they transitioned the people on it to methadone. Hopkins is always doing addiction studies programs on this or that, I was on a heroin maintance for 1 month it was a study, and after it was done I got paid 1,000 dollars for my time. I went for a few hours every morning for a month. For the 1st week I got a shot of dope in the morning, it was good too and than after that they gave me the option of 30 dollars or a shot. They also monitored me and asked questions, sometimes it was just a pain in the ass, and I didn't want to go, but I wanted that money.

I haven't had the honor to take any long acting opioids besides suboxone, but even suboxone, i love because of the duration and cheapness.

I don't do subs much but when i do, i'll snort about 2mg, wait and wait for 2 hours then i feel gravy baby. I usually stay up all night if i take suboxone in the evening, and kind of feel like a tweaker. Opioids are like speed for me...which kind of sucks because i'm prescribed speed and it's god awful...wish i liked it.

Only thing i worry about is redosing...too much to early, ya dead.

Hi,
This post is so old... and so am I actually. I happened upon your question; I was an Orlaam patient a long, long time ago. The really weird thing about Orlaam (Laam), was when I told the Methadone Clinic back in 2003-4 (in San Francisco) that I had weighed the odds and felt coming into the city every 3 days, apposed to every single day (from Marin, other side of the GG Bridge) was far more beneficial. Methadone Clinics have those rules, about if you’re late etc. and hey, I am an addict, selfish and full of attitude; work around my schedule. NO .. no they certainly don’t make exceptions for ANYONE. So yeah I picked this extremely long acting, over prescribed, and basically relatively new sorta Methadone drug all for convenience ONLY! I was stupid, didn’t look into why they wanted an EKG from me [BTW Folks, if anyone asks you for an EKG before administering a drug, you need to research the HELL OUT OF IT!!!]. I was so excited, I didn’t even ask WHY, this non medical staff member was asking me for an EKG. I happened to work for a GP, so getting the EKG was easy, and believe it or not, felt normal.
Details? Content is a thick dark liquid. I couldn’t tell you now how much I was taking EXACTLY. But it was entirely too much! If I didn’t quickly slurp down the prune juice n Orlaam cocktail with extreme haste; drive back over the Golden Gate Bridge FAST, it would become too dangerous to drive. I’d wake up, in strange places, late for work, amnesia devoured my morning and I couldn’t recall blocks of time. I’m still so angry I drove like that. And they (the clinic) had to have known these side effects existed... yet never once asked me about them.
One day, maybe 6 months into my Orlaam Program, I was informed I would no longer be taking Laam. When I asked why, it was no longer a secret; the UK, and Canada had stopped dispensing the drug due to its side effects and heart problems. So the US FDA followed suit. They took me, and the other 3-4 people at that clinic taking Orlaam off of it pretty quickly. I don’t recall it being a painful withdrawal, I was just very confused. In fact, to this day, I’ll never understand what happened and to research it today, you’d think I was misinformed, talking about another drug completely, other than Orlaam, because what I’ve written here, about my experience, contradicts all web searches. I’ll leave that up to you, on if you think I’m confused or not.
Funny thing is, I can STILL taste that thick prune-like drug even after all these years. Very distinctive.