View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Anyone else feel sad after tripping?

snowdaytoday

Bluelighter
I always have had a blast every time I have tripped, but afterwards, like for the next day or two after I feel a bit down, nothing intense, just a bit sad and lonely. Like the other night I tripped with a friend of mine and his wife. I looked over at them several times in my trip just talking and laughing with each other, holding each other, and I could sense the security and love that they found in each other. I also got a bit down because after it was over I remembered that my friend told me that this would probably be the last time he tripped. Of course when we were tripping though he kept asking how much LSD cost and how much he was enjoying it, so he may decide to try it again. He is also getting a job soon in which they drug test. Throughout my entire friendship with this dude we have always chilled and smoked weed and we have done shrooms once together as well as LSD this past Friday. We have chilled together a ton throughout the past year and have shared a lot of memories and bowls together. Of course he was supposed to quit on October 1 and he started smoking again after like 3 weeks so I don't know. It just made me realize that I have very few friends. I just find it difficult finding others that I enjoy spending time with. From here on out I will probably be tripping by myself, and that is fun and all, but I can definitely tell that he and I probably won't be hanging out much after the 1st of the year. His new Job requires him to be working for 2 weeks and home for a week, so I'm sure I won't see him much. I don't know, after I finish tripping I just always seem to be reminded me of how lonely I really am, and how few people I have in life besides my family. Anyone else share this feeling or have some advice to offer? :(

Being the third wheel sucks, being the third wheel on psychedelics sucks even more.
The acid could really bring out lonely feelings especially witnessing your friend and his wife having fun together.
The same happens to me a lot, but it happens a lot when I'm sober too.
IDK the sadness and feelings of lonelieness are something you have to work on, sorry that isn't a very good answer but it's the best I've got as it's the only thing that's been helping me.

Being the third wheel sucks, being the third wheel on psychedelics sucks even more.
The acid could really bring out lonely feelings especially witnessing your friend and his wife having fun together.
The same happens to me a lot, but it happens a lot when I'm sober too.
IDK the sadness and feelings of lonelieness are something you have to work on, sorry that isn't a very good answer but it's the best I've got as it's the only thing that's been helping me.

They didn't exclude me by any means, he and I went out several times, just the two of us to explore what it was like outside while we were tripping. But they were able to share a special vibe being a couple, and it just kind of bummed me out realizing that I have no person to share that with.

not usually, but this one time i did a heroic dose of mushrooms (about 8 grams of potent dried shrooms about 5 grams first then when i was peaking i ate 3 more grams) in nature on a full moon and i tripped for a total of 8 or 9 hours and the next couple of days i felt bland and bored doing anything. i felt down and it didnt stop for like 3 or 4 days. Usually after i do any psychedelic i have a positive afterglow, especially with acid but not this time not sure why

First things first: never be the third wheel again, sober or otherwise. That will always fuck with you.

Second: Try not to predict the future. That includes whether or not you'll be able to hang out with your friend again, but also about finding people you like. You should keep it in your mind that when the time is right, you'll find someone (or someones) that you enjoy spending time with, but at the moment you at least have your family.

Third: This is much easier if you're an introvert, but focus on yourself - liking yourself, and doing things that you enjoy. Life sucks when you go about your day thinking "Man, I really wish I had someone else around right now." It's much better to think "Oh man, this is awesome, I'll keep this is mind to show someone else later."

try to meet others throough whatever hobbie you like doing. Sports. bookclub. music, etc. some of my best friends besides my best friends have been aquired through meeting others to do such activities and eventually you will meet people that are a lot like yourself and share the same "interests" youdo

when there is a mutual interest in an activity, then you share memories doing the activity with friends the friendships can grow. thats my best advice for making new friends once already older.

Sometimes on the last leg of an LSD trip (like the last three hours or so, the comedown basically) I'll get pretty bummed out and depressed, and I'll some pretty melancholy introverted thinking.

Usually when that happens I'll just wash some Klonopin down with some Nyquil and get some rest. Without fail I feel better the next day.

depending on the type of chem and the trip outcome i mos def have been sad but more of a holy shit the world/or etc is a depressing place

most of the "popular" delics like lsd, mush, dmt i am usually very elated and happy for weeks unless im just binging and not looking to get anything out of the trip

As we get older we go through these changes in life. The real world isnt like high school where you get to see your friends daily and have all the time in the world to hang out. We grow up plans get made which never happen, friends get married move out of state, people get jobs and focus on careers. We all go through this part of life usually with a period of loneliness. Your best bet is to learn to live for yourself focus on getting you better, while you have the time to do so.

On a related note I hadnt smoked weed in forever and did yesterday and it give me a bad trip in a sense. My girlfriend and I are struggling with heroin addiction and I basically got blasted with memories of when we met 5 years ago and how we discovered opiates together and how must we have been through and how us meeting in a way destroyed both our lives i couldnt do anything but hug her nearly crying i didnt though i didnt want her to know these things came into my mind or i might make her upset. Psychedelics have an interesting way of shoving our lives infront of us and forcing us to look at them especially our short comings. Someday you will find your place just as someday my hardships will end and as i can look back at hard time in memory so shall i these ones.

Good thread. Good thoughts. I know a lot of the "reasons" why someone would be sad have been addressed. I too have been the third wheel for many years of my life. But that didn't always make me sad since I had hope for the future that I would attract someone who had lifted to the vibe I was giving off. Someone trustworthy, someone I could care about and get that back. Someone who knows how to roll with life's situations and not create drama. I can say I am happily married for 11 years now but that didn't happen until I was 39. But maybe loneliness did factor into being sad at times, especially when I was a third wheel and just came out of a draining relationship. But honestly, I don't think that is the only reason why I felt sad after tripping.

However, yes, I have felt sad after tripping. I remember years ago taking 5 - 120mic blotters of acid and going to the beach with some friends. I had a blast and really soared the heights. This was back in 1981. The next day I had to go to work in the factory I worked at but when I woke up I started crying my eyes out for no apparent reason. And I don't cry lightly or much at all. But wow I felt like I had seen the heavens the day before and yet today I was still chopping wood and carrying water. I really believe the sadness after a good life affirming trip has to do with simply coming down to regular life, which as we all know can be painful, after rising above it for a day. Almost like a baby crying when it is born and realizes it has to live a physical life with all it's ups and downs.

Now saying all of that I don't get that sadness anymore. Maybe it comes with age. I may be tired the next day but I can bask in the afterglow. Sure, I can get cranky from being tired until I get another good nights sleep. But not that sadness I knew growing up after a good trip. I have much more balance these days. Also I don't trip near as much as I did when I was younger.

There were some really good posts in this thread. I hope it keeps going. Probing the sadness and after tripping feelings is good therapy.

My dad said he always found everything looking so gray and dull after tripping on acid... of course by contrast I have to say the same and think nobody can escape from that logic, but I personally never felt bothered by my look on the world adjusted for sobriety, after tripping. Rather: if anything I can get an afterglow and feel refreshed like seeing it anew (which is not the same as seeing it 'as if for the first time ever', like during the trip)..

Sorry to hear that you are reminded by your feelings of being lonely, I guess tripping really reminds us of a lot of things that deep down we feel or think. They are brought to the surface, and for a little while are there to stay unless you go and repress it again, or life happens and stuff piles over on top of it again. The blank slate is soon filled again.

So yeah it seems much different from a hangover (I know you never said that but my father's remark always sounded to me like that, he is not an unhappy or depressed person afaik, although I think he represses things), but instead like the consequence of seeing things clearly, even painfully clear. Tripping is terrible to try and find a blunted pain-dulled sort of fun, but I find that it can instead help to get through things. To use your dissatisfactions and turn them into something positive by learning from it and starting to do some things a little differently bit by bit.

Last edited:
You can do DMT, cant check for that one

I get the same feeling btw. Sucks. haven't tripped in a year or so

Last edited:
When I trip I almost always feel happy afterwards, and refreshed. But psychedelics bring out the things that are inside of you, and if you feel lonely in life, then those feelings are probably being amplified. Maybe try to ponder on that and see if you can use the realization that you're lonely to help try to fix that in your life.