• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Anyone chose not to go to uni in their teens because...

puking

Bluelighter
...they did not want to be indebted to their parents? That's what I did. When I finished high school I didn't want to spend my parents money attending uni because I knew if I did there would be tremendous pressure over me in the rest of my adult life. I dont think it was a bad decision because most people my age that I know went to uni and have about the same income as I do now or are unemployed. I'm thinking of attending distance learning now though, because working the same office job with no especialization on anything has become unbearably boring.

I spent my own money going to college because I didn't want an "office job" like what you just said you're stuck with.

Distance learning is only OK if you do it with a real school. Don't bother with University of Phoenix or the like, because it's worse to have that on your resume than no school at all.

I paid my own way through university but supplementing my living expenses selling stolen chemistry glassware to meth cooks and running bricks of weed over the border.

Today I sit in my own office and close the door when I don't want to be disturbed.

031115-mad-men-lead_0.jpg

I'm hoping for an ice bucket for my long service gift

...they did not want to be indebted to their parents? That's what I did. When I finished high school I didn't want to spend my parents money attending uni because I knew if I did there would be tremendous pressure over me in the rest of my adult life. I dont think it was a bad decision because most people my age that I know went to uni and have about the same income as I do now or are unemployed. I'm thinking of attending distance learning now though, because working the same office job with no especialization on anything has become unbearably boring.

University took my drug use to a whole different level. In 4th year engineering, I had a class I couldn't pass called Java. The professor kept saying I didn't give my best and so for the final examination, after failing the class twice I went like ok, I'm giving the crazy guy my best so he could pass me. After a month of amphetamine use to study for the exam, I passed with a high mark, my face was white, my pulse was barely measurable...I was close to death.

Indebted to their parents? Errr, my parents never offered to pay for university for me so I never thought about it like that, lol.

I worked since I was 15yr old, saved money, moved out on my 18th birthday, worked 40 hrs a week while going to university F/T, and managed to pay off my undergrad with only taking out a few small loans at the credit union (and paying them all off). I'm in a masters program now and are using government loan money (since it's waay too damn expensive lol) while also working F/T.

I cannot even begin to imagine having my parents pay for my education; those who have that as an option and bitch about owing them money must live on a different fucking planet, I'm sure of it.
The price of my education is likely to hover around the $150kUSD mark and that amount is my personal debt for my personal education for my personal improvement - not a penny comes or will come from anyone but myself, and why should it?
Simple responsibility dictates if I fuck up then I must pay the price. I made the decision to attend, it is I who shall gain from it just as much as it is I who will be accountable if I fail.