• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Any tips on ways to relieve anxiety and RLS after H detox?

MZmachi420

Greenlighter
Please help me if anyone can tell me, im almost 4 weeks clean but still have anxiety, restlessness and RLS accompanied with pain in my legs and feet...How long is this shit supposed to continue? and does anyone know of any ways i can find relief? besides a hot shower as im already doing that! ugh this is making me want to start using again just the fuc*kinh anxiety and rls and pain its driving me fuc'king nuts man

How much and how often were you taking heroin before you quit? Depending on your personal body chemistry and the size of your habit you might experience protracted withdrawal symptoms or post acute withdrawal symptoms.

Personally one of the hardest parts of opiate withdrawal was the RLS, so i feel for you. I don?t know of any treatments for the RLS but i never looked that hard. I know they are out there though. one of our members will surely be able to help you.

I hope someone can help you out and you find some relief. Stay strong, you don?t need to go back to it. Good on you for quitting and good luck.

I was taking about 4-5 200$ shots a day, whatever that adds up to, and up and left the country, used benzos made detox a breeze, fyi.....anyways im just soooooo anxiety ridden its been almost a month and the anxiety is so bad, RLS killing me, and very bad pain my legs and feet , cant stop shaking them

I usually suffer from RLS after taking opioids, and I'm not talking about a long season of addiction ... if I take 30mg of Oxi I will easily have RLS the following night. It is very annoying to have to shake your legs and feet to relieve that disgusting feeling of "internal explosion", I understand you perfectly. Curiously it affects my left leg more and for the night.

The drug that works best for my RLS is Clonazepam, even better than Diazepan, although the latter is especially myorelaxing.

When I can't stand the RLS and I do not want to take Benzos, what relieves me is to stand up and walk, you don't stay in bed in pain, it's just advice.

Some people say that Pregabalin also helps.

DocLad

Last edited:
Try Kratom, that helped with my RLS, or Kava tea (which has a benzo type effect). Im not sure if you want to take pills or something else to help, but prescribed benzo's will help, try talking to your doctor about it. Ketamine helps wonders as well.

I'm honestly surprised you still have RLS after a month. The only things that helps for me are benzos, kratom, loperamide, and they all are liable to start new addictions. I think kava would be safe to try. I am hesitant to recommend kratom, because I almost feel you would be going backwards considering you already have a month clean. If your life is miserable at the moment, maybe kratom could be the answer. Do some research and decide if its right for you.

Wow- Gabapentin is approved for RLS- and it doesn't carry the same dependency or addiction potential(not that it is full proof by any means, though a reduced liability, greatly if taken at all properly)

What everyone else said, except Gabapentin should be considered if it's a chronic or severe problem- Also Lyrica, although it is more expensive, and harder to get RX'ed- gabapentin is probably the best non narcotic/benzodiazepine or Z drug or Thienodiazepine or otc neurotoxic (Primarily PNS) opioid that you can get - RLS sucks, arms have even jumped before, hope it gets better or you find solution

I just remembered that methcarbamol also helps, its a muscle relaxer. Its OTC where I live. I found relief short lived but better than nothing.

^ Yeah, forgot that is otc in Canada, and other places?

Don't understand why safe medications, especially like hydroxyzine, which has multiple uses, and no practical anti-cholinergic effects, and a fairly safe, yet potent H1 antagonist, yet it's RX only...

OP, first off, I would like to know if you have a relationship with a prescriber who can help you out here. I believe Gabapentinoids are going to be your best bet for mitigating the RLS without prolonging your withdrawal or developing another dependence. A lot of folks, myself included, use these drugs as the primary ingredient in our withdrawal protocol. Gabapentinoids are a class of drugs which include:

Gabapentin (Neurontin) - Not a controlled substance for the time being. This is your best bet from a prescriber if you are entering the scenario intending to be honest. If you walk around town long enough, you will meet someone who has Gabapentin. That's as far as I go with this advice.

Pregabalin (Lyrica) - This is more powerful and predictable in its action than Gabapentin, but it's not likely to be prescribed off-the-cuff for Opioid withdrawal. If you can acquire Lyrica from the street, as it were, do so and buy as much as they have currently on hand.

Phenibut (OTC) - This is an OTC supplement in the "Western World" and can be found in some supplement shops, but is better and more easily acquired from the internet. In my experience and based upon my limited knowledge, Phenibut is a less-potent, less-effective version of the above stated drugs. It will still drastically improve symptoms though regardless.

Clonidine (Catapres) - This is a blood pressure medication, but it can help mitigate some symptoms of withdrawal like RLS and can help make you sleep.

Cannabis - If you smoke and like to smoke, I'm sure I don't need to advise you on how this substance is best used for your symptoms. Eat/Sleep/Drink etc.

Avoid Sedative-Antihistamines like Diphenhydramine (Bendadryl), Doxylamine (Unisom) or Promethazine (Phenergan), as they exacerbate RLS for a large percentage of the population. The medical community will often directly refer you to Benadryl. Don't do it or rather, try it and see how you like it.

This is by no means a complete or concise guide, but it's some food for thought to chew on. Let us know if you have any questions.

^ Baclofen would also help to some extent, though tbh not really experienced with it, as it is RX only, and would rather have gapapentin because I have become more familiar with it's effects

Really nothing else to add to the above, concise post by our esteemed Mr. Richards, except again that hydroxyzine is the one 1st gen antihistamine that can be taken, no anticholinergic effects, though it's about experimenting, and finding what works- you may have to deal with PAWS, a different, albeit similar phenomenon to acute wd