• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Any substance I make a habit makes me start feeling sick?

Legally High

Bluelighter
Everything I?ve used past the honeymoon period makes starts making me feel terrible like my immune system is damaged. Whereas before I was feeling good. I?ll start spending more time withdrawn even on the substance and feel worse on the substance than I felt sober previously. Anyone else like this?

This happens to me too, but I'm sure it's because i abuse everything to death and take obscenely high doses. I overdosed off of both downers (heroin that needed 3 doses of narcan) and uppers (IV cocaine that caused me to stroke out and go into a seizure) when i was younger, so I'm always chasing that extreme high. If I'm not so high that I'm in medical danger i feel like it's not working because i remember those feelings and know how high it's really possible to get.

I stopped using street drugs ten years ago out of fear I wouldn't make it past 23. Now i heavily abuse prescription pills including opiates and amps, and have convinced myself that it's safer because I'm not using a needle anymore, and i have a doctor giving them to me (well the amps aren't mine but that's an occasional thing) so it's ok and i need them, but i have gotten extremely reckless with those to. I take huge doses and mix tons of things together in an effort to mimic the overdose highs (hopefully without the almost dying part).

I was clean off of everything for 6 years until a back injury required prescription opiates. I wish i never started back down this road and am afraid eventually it will lead back to the needle.

I would read up on upregulation and downregulation. My understanding is any drug that effects neurotransmitter levels causes them to be more resistant in the future. Every high comes with a down that takes a while for the receptors to get back to baseline.

This means your normal amount of neurotransmitters in your brain (even not on a drug at the moment) will have less effect. Until a homeostasis is reached again, which usually (in my experience) takes a few days to a few weeks. Good luck!

Last edited: