• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Any studies about the effects of Opiods on the developing brain?

throwaway1234556

Greenlighter
Hey, I'm 18 years old and me and my friends have been taking OTC Codeine to get high, I couldn't find any studies about the effects of Codeine or Opiates on the developing brain does anyone know any info about this, or if I should be worried about memory or IQ loss?

"Opioid-Induced Hearing Loss and Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome: Clinical Considerations for Audiologists and Recommendations for Future Research | American Journal of Audiology"

↑most studies seem to be neonatal, on the development of the fœtus during pregnancy. Hearing loss, which seems to be mediated by the brain's perception of sound and not damage to the ear itself, might be considered a potential hazard, but I don't know if these risks posed have any capacity to be altered with what stage of age related development one is in.

Though it's a completely different neurological subsystem, I have read some research indicating early teenaged use of methamphetamine can actually reduce future susceptibility to neurotoxicity: developmental stages display more plasticity with respect to formulating a basis for the brain mechanics to become entrenched in ways compensating for the types of deleterious effects the drug has on dopaminergic nerve terminals.

Chances of long term opioid induced hypergesia and more disposition to prominent dependance liability could intuitively always be a factor. Considering ones genetic makeup, we are in the early days of discovering such things in their specificity; so for any one individual it is difficult to say: however what is known to universal acceptance is that opioid abuse, addiction and habituation are widely and repeatedly proven to be of such gravity as for becoming disastrous for ones life, as much as, if not moreso, than any psychologically reinforcing substance. It is a disease that acts upon your ability to choose, so when people argue it is a choice, it is one that makes, internally for you, less choices available and drives one to pursue it as their "life choice", it's a disease of *your ability* to choose freely. So take that into consideration as to the overwhelming purportion of harmful outcomes, that cannot be overstated.

If you're taking codeine with tylenol, the more acute risk is with the liver toxicity of that either at once or over time.

"Opioid-Induced Hearing Loss and Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome: Clinical Considerations for Audiologists and Recommendations for Future Research | American Journal of Audiology"

↑most studies seem to be neonatal, on the development of the fœtus during pregnancy. Hearing loss, which seems to be mediated by the brain's perception of sound and not damage to the ear itself, might be considered a potential hazard, but I don't know if these risks posed have any capacity to be altered with what stage of age related development one is in.

Though it's a completely different neurological subsystem, I have read some research indicating early teenaged use of methamphetamine can actually reduce future susceptibility to neurotoxicity: developmental stages display more plasticity with respect to formulating a basis for the brain mechanics to become entrenched in ways compensating for the types of deleterious effects the drug has on dopaminergic nerve terminals.

Chances of long term opioid induced hypergesia and more disposition to prominent dependance liability could intuitively always be a factor. Considering ones genetic makeup, we are in the early days of discovering such things in their specificity; so for any one individual it is difficult to say: however what is known to universal acceptance is that opioid abuse, addiction and habituation are widely and repeatedly proven to be of such gravity as for becoming disastrous for ones life, as much as, if not moreso, than any psychologically reinforcing substance. It is a disease that acts upon your ability to choose, so when people argue it is a choice, it is one that makes, internally for you, less choices available and drives one to pursue it as their "life choice", it's a disease of *your ability* to choose freely. So take that into consideration as to the overwhelming purportion of harmful outcomes, that cannot be overstated.

If you're taking codeine with tylenol, the more acute risk is with the liver toxicity of that either at once or over time.
Thanks for the detailed response, and I have access to 30mg/500mg tylenol codeine, so hopefully even a very poorly done CWE is removing enough tylenol for any liver risk.