• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Any reliable info on codeine risks?

new_device

Greenlighter
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

I've been using codeine recreationally for approx. 5 years, on and off. In my younger and more naïve days I would take paracetamol/ibuprofen compounds, but have long since wised up and use it only in its pure form, either in pills or syrup form. Typical usage for me would be approx. 90mg 2x day - not enough to get high, really, just for the calming effect. Are there any reliable studies on the long term effects of pure codeine on kidney and liver function? I've searched but everything seems to be a) addressing mixing with paracetamol or b) not evidence based. I'd be really grateful if someone could supply some rational scientific literature. I'm in good health as far as I know, exercise daily, non smoker/drinker, pretty good diet, BMI 19.1.

I've also recently discovered paracetamol/dihydrocodeine OTC in low dosages - any danger in mixing it with codeine phosphate? (I would never OD on paracetamol btw - I'm very careful with it).

Your main worry here would be ingesting too much Paracetamol/ Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen.

I don't think there is many long term risks with Codeine use as it's prescribed for long term pain management. Although there is a possibility of the following if you were to increase your daily dosages, physical withdrawals, depression, anxiety, apathy, weight loss, paleness, insomnia, and tiredness. These are all expected with any long term Opiate/ Opioid abuse.

As for mixing Codeine Phosphate and Dihydrocodeine that should be fine also. Both work completely differently in the body, the only thing similar is in the name.

Your dosages of Codeine are low so you should be fine.

Thanks for replying. :) I don't kid myself - I know I'm mildly dependent, at least on a psychological level, and I'll probably have to address it at some point. But it's good to know I'm not risking too much in the meantime.

If your using regularly then it's a good idea not to let yourself get bunged up, being constantly constipated isn't good for your guts. I always found fibre supplements and stool softeners helped a bit.

And I really don't like to be preachy, but if I had my time again I'd address my codeine addiction whilst it was psychological. Not that it's easy, but trust me it only ever gets harder. Good luck.

Thanks for replying. :) I don't kid myself - I know I'm mildly dependent, at least on a psychological level, and I'll probably have to address it at some point. But it's good to know I'm not risking too much in the meantime.

No problem at all :)

@ new_device is right with the constipation bit, make sure you have plenty fibre in your diet and use stool softeners if you can.

Take care and have fun.

@zebedee - yeah I know, it's a potentially bad one. I'm basically not allowing myself to increase the dosage at this point. It does make a stressful day so much easier! I never liked the way booze makes me feel, but opiates give me a great sense of competence/feeling I can handle things.