• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Any point chewing 30mg codeine phosphate pills?

Yeah, chewing doesn't make a big difference, especially tiny little tablets like codeine phosphate 30mg.
With the tablets being so small, by chewing them you'd probably end up with half your dose stuck in your teeth!
I would chew 30mg DHC a bit, just crunch them up into a few pieces, but I didn't notice a difference really. It's just a habit of mine to chew pills, especially benzos, but I semi sublingual them anyway cos I like the taste and they hit faster.
Only pills I wouldn't bother crunching up before swallowing is zopiclone, those tiny codeine, and non recreational shit like paracetamol, antibiotics etc.

I reckon it helps substantially if they are extended release but with the instant release tablets I don't think you get any real difference in onset times.
Taking them with an empty stomach makes more of a difference IMO.

They taste so bad anyway that I wouldn't consider chewing or snorting them even if there was a little gain in effects >_<

More to the point, codeine needs to be converted to morphine by liver enzymes to be effective. This relies upon absorption in the gut for the codeine to be transported to the liver by a process known as 'first pass metabolism'.

If you chew the tablets, you risk some of the codeine being lost through sublingual and buccal absorption which bypasses the liver and actually increases the onset time and decrease the intensity of effects (this also applies to snorting codeine - No point).

As said above, the best way is to just swallow the tablets whole on an empty stomach. As soon as they hit your stomach acids they soon dissolve.

Conversely, chewing morphine or methadone tablets is more effective because they don't need to be metabolised so bypassing the liver is desirable.

There endeth the lesson for the day, I can carry on getting pissed now... ?

I wish we got methadone pills over here more commonly, I think they hit harder than the liquid as I sublingual about half the dose.

I suppose you'd end up with people spitting them out and shooting them/selling them once out of the chemist. Although that still happens with the liquid sometimes. Can't believe people shoot that green slime!!

Your methadone liquid is a green slime? In Australia, when I dosed at the chemist, I could just get it unadulterated or with a bit of cordial, take-homes were just buffed-up with water.

the tiny yellow 30mg ones are horrible tasting, even if I don't chew them I hate their tase although I am good with chewing any other pill or opioid.

It not slime exactly, it's still quite thin and runny, but still syrupy and if the pharmacist has dropped any on the outside of the bottle when pouring it, it's all sticky and shit.

Still not something you should IV!

What do you mean by unadulterated? As in 10mg per ml? We used to get that here but it's dangerous to have in the same place as 1mg per ml as human error could kill someone easily. It may well have and that's why you never see it anymore.