• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Any people with autism that went to prison?

Solipsis

Bluelight Crew
Like the TT says: any people diagnosed in the autism spectrum that went to prison? Or otherwise other considerable mental illness or very sentitive people that still went to a normal population prison, serious social anxiety etc?

While I am @ some kind of high-functioning Asperger's kind of autism, still I am currently not functioning at all (have also ADD) and I imagine that prison for me would be particularly traumatic as I'm normally fine but when I'm with strangers too long its not okay sometimes.. on the other hand i wonder if isolation is less hard on me.

That's really tough. I think people with serious conditions would go to the medical ward. I mean, for their own safety. I can see those people becoming very easy targets.

For people with autism, I would think that isolation may be easier since a lot of the anxiety comes from social situations. Especially having to be in such close quarters with strangers.

Prison is cruel and unusual punishment for everyone IMO. Most people are in prison for drug related crimes and most drug problems are fueled by people suffering mentally in one form or another--whether it is hopelessness, depression, severe or mild mental disorders or drug-psychosis. I've worked in American prisons. The cruelty and constant humiliation and threat of violence is despicable and held firmly in place by corruption. While being on the mild end of the autistic spectrum probably would not get you into the "mental health unit" , that's not somewhere you want to be either. I hope you are just asking this theoretically and not facing this prospect yourself!:(

Yes just theoretically, I've never been arrested or convicted etc.

Thanks for the insight. Of course, prison is not easy on anyone - but some disorders probably make it significantly more probably traumatic than others or in neurotypicals - even in a rather 'mild' prisons. But the point was absolutely not that it isn't hard for everyone else.

This is interesting, I've sort of verged on pondering this myself.

I suffer from social anxiety and I'm getting checked out for ADD. I often wonder how I'd cope if this happened to me.

Then again, weirdly, I do have a history of powerful people befriending me and being very protective.

If nothing else, you can always request "protective custody." Which is basically self-imposed solitary.

When I went to jail I initially asked for protective custody because my anxiety was so bad at the time, but the intake social worker convinced me it wasn't necessary. The guys inside (almost all black) were actually super nice to me. #WhitePrivilege

I can't begin to imagine what prison would be like for people who have Autism Spectrum Disorder. While there are definitely shared behaviours across the board, no two people who have ASD have exactly the same experience. But i would imagine that it would be very hard for people who have particular ways to suddenly be somewhere where they have to do as they are told. For some, the social interactions are not that difficult, but they may like their food a certain way, or a certain colour. They may not like wearing most fabrics and prison clothing may cause hypersensitivity. I imagine that the overload for them would cause an increase in stimming, which could possibly leave them open to ridicule and bullying.

As someone said above, no two people on the ASD are the same.

That said.

I know of two positive experiences of people with ASD going to prison. One was a former moderator of BL who was fairly addicted to GHB/GBL on entering prison. I thought he was the last person with a chance of surviving prison. I am happy to say I was totally wrong. He got himself a job in the library and read his way through a four year sentence (he served just over two years - in the UK you get roughly half time off for good behaviour).

The other case is more extreme. The niece of a friend of mine was tricked into smuggling cocaine out of Peru. She got nicked in Peru and served 5 years of a 7 year sentence. She was/is quite extreme on the spectrum. It's not too much of a push to say she had the time of her life. The ordered day suited her. Other prisoners were respectful to her because of her condition and the obvious fact she had been set up. She came out with proper hairdressing skills.

I am aware these two cases may be far from representative of people with ASD in prison.

Last edited:
^ that's fascinating, and rather heartening.

The other important factor in this discussion is whereabouts in the world the prison is located.
Does my memory serve me correctly in thinking you reside in Germany, Solipsis - or am i way off?

United States prisons - and those in many (if not all) developing or authoritarian nations seem to be especially brutal (not that i mean to downplay any forms of incarceration).

I have Asperger's Syndrome and did 3 years in mainstream (general population) in a super-max prison....if you wanna ask anything, anything at all, PM me.

Peace :)

Yes. Kanner's type autie, bit short of a year inside after some shit hit the fan, in a rather dramatic manner (army involved, big fuckoff to do, not going into the details publicly, too identifying)

But PM me. I survived. Barely. In two respects, possibly three if you could having to constantly watch my back for some particularly vile sons of bitches that took an instant, personal and violent loathing to me pretty much for being different. Only bit of luck is I didn't end up one of the body count. Got thrown in solitary at first whilst physically majorly barbiturate-dependent (physically speaking), survived the result although to this day I do not know how. It was horrendous, drawm out, and by the time I actually could reorient myself at all I was so badly deconditioned it was tough to walk. Looked like I'd been liberated from auschwitz, only, I guess, in reverse. Never had a great deal of weight on me to begin with, but went what must have been a month at the minimum without eating, never even knew 'food' was there. No physical detox assistance. And I came out of the solitary massively deconditioned, lost so much muscle mass that self defense when it was necessary, had to be either violent and uncompromising in the extreme, or far more indirect than confrontation, using intellect over physical force. The kind of thing thugs that never had a brain to begin with, fried or not, never had much of a chance against. Its been years now, almost a decade,maybe more, I can't keep track of time, or even remember when I went in anymore. That unassisted withdrawal, or if it was, at all then not even close to medical supervision that was necessary. I should have been in hospital at the time.

In the end, I got sent to max sec not long after one particular incident. Not sure if they knew about it or not but it was remarkably quick after.
I never bothered anybody, as usually I do not, who did not first bother me. But all the same a great many seemed to want to get in line for a piece of me. Not giving free samples out, sorry fuckers.

Kept to myself for the most part, except were scoring, couple of guys were decent enough, one enough to have shared his weed whilst knowing at the time, I had nothing but the clothes on my back. Didn't ask anything in return, probably the first time I slept soundly since before I was in hospital ER prior to

By now, its getting to the point where I might as well finish what they started. If I can't get my GP to, although making some progress there, or otherwise source memantine, which is an absolute miracle in terms of functioning, has been, when I have been able to get hold of any, an absolute lifesafer. As did for a short time a combination of galantamine, memantine and a histamine autoreceptor antagonist. Shits a fucking mess basically. Been fixing to try one of the AMPAkine drugs for the mnemonic side effects (sunifiram, DM-235), but want to get on at least low-dose memantine first, to obviate any potential for excitotoxicity. Last thing I need is any more of that kind of insult. Got the stuff together to make a test batch, Need to get a new scale, though [I just accidentally melted mine])

If you need, PM me for more details than I can share publicly.

I went, ppd-nos , served 2 years , went to the hole , got raped, fought , did i mention I got raped yet?

hey solipsis aren't you dutch? Cause thats where I went

I can totalli identify with limpet's story.

Some piece of shit would have (although did not) raped toady too.

Thuggish piece of verminous ambulant dog excrement of the vilest, dumb fuck kind. Made the mistake of declaring his intention however. Whilst couldn't, in the severely, terribly deconditioned and weakened state have fought well against a hardcase like him. He made the error both of giving notice, and even more stupidly, of fucking with an autistic. We are smart, dickhead, we have interests that you could never even begin to imagine, let alone comprethefuckhend, and are likely not to NEED the physical bludgeoning capacity to neutralize the threat of a psychotic thug scrotumweasel like you. Don't fuck with the breed, bitch. Oh, whats that? you DID? well lets see what, if capable of speech, or ever getting out of the ER, you have to say about that now you neurotypical fucking freak. With with the autistic race, then you better have a bottle for the ER staff forced to suffer having to offer you an attempt at survival, to pour your internal organs into for your family to keep as a souvenir. NT piece of shite. Enjoy shitting your thyroid out in liquid form.

Bingey-btw it is 'PDD-NOS'

Although I not believe autism is a disorder. I have been savaged in certain circles for speaking that opinion, although in others I would be preaching to the converted. But, I AM of the classic autism phenotype. And I have grown up most of my life, with 90% to 95% of friends autistic, aspie and Kanner's both, and Rett's in one case (gorgeous, gorgeous, brilliant girl, who I'm absolutely head over fucking heels crazy about, and indeed so damn much so that if I could pop a ring on one of her long, delicate and beautiful fingers in a moment of non sexily hand-flapping, cutely finger-flicking time, I wouldn't wait a week. I would wait long enough to buy some platinum, sent rush-overnighted, a diamond and a setting, and cast that ring, set the stone with my gem fitting pliers and get down on one knee and wor-the-fuck-ship that girl, begging for the honour to spend my every moment of existence with her.) and some who are (and I mean no insult at all) NOT autistic, but who have mental retardation, I count amongst friends (and I don't judge against either, I've been in mutually fulfilling relationships with MR girls before, or those who were both autistic and MR. Only thing I judge, is if I can make their lives happy in a way that they didn't have until I got to put my effort personally into bringing them that specific area of happiness that came in the shape of my friendship and in the former partner cases, love in the romance sense also. And the important thing in such instances to me, is that I bring to their world, joy, warmth, happiness, love, romance and of course, that they find me at least, I would hope, acceptable in bed.)

Pretty much everybody I know is spesh, one phenotype or another, and has been since I left my last primary education. And with the tiniest, tiniest handful of exceptions of a couple of NTs, who it never worked well with, nor did I even feel very close to them. In fact if anything they are the dysfunctional, fucked up ones I've dated and ended up being sick of the sight of them, quite frankly.

Nowadays, when/if I date anyone, they are either autistic (Kanner's preferably, although that particular uber, uber-uber-uber fucking supergorgeous cute as hell genius foxmuffin girl, the Rett phenotype/genotype one I'd give an awful lot, pretty much anything save only my lab, I don't mind aspie though, or off the spectrum and MR, or indeed on it and MR. Without intending any offense to neurotypical anyone here, I very very much find unlikely the thought that I'd ever date an NT again.

After all, you cannot write 'classical autism' without 'classic' and 'is'. and m(mmmmmmmmmmmm)=D

Last edited: