Any Good Books you Have Read Lately?

Dr.E's_bitch

Bluelighter
I don't have much to do in this city of Ottawa since I have no car, no internet access at home, no cable television either. So, has anyone read any really really good books about ecstasy or rave culture lately cause I need something to keep my mind occupied.
thanks
ryan

I don't read alot of fiction myself i prefer the real stuff. But i'd like to know has anyone read Irvine Welsh's (trainspotting) Ecstasy book. Or there was another one called Generation Ecstasy by simon reynolds i believe. I'm looking to pick those up sooner or later.
------------------
Ciao...
e!

Ok my literate friend...What kind of books do you like? Fiction? non-fiction? action? What? Give me an idea and I am sure I will have a long list for you...I read all the time and just about anything I can get my hands on!!
XOXO
------------------
Have fun and be careful!
Meg

'This other life' by Jayne Bussman is a collection of anecdotes that cover the last 10 years of the E scene in the UK. Very very funny and brings back great memories.
Another good book is 'Altered State', but I forget the author.

normally I read computer related shit, but now I just wanna read something about ecstasy and the rave scene.

I don't know if you care about the evolution of New York drag queens or not, but "Disco Bloodbath" is an amazing, amazing book. It has to be...you open the cover and the first page is the the directions and recipe for cooking K (for real). But seriously, it's about how the N.Y. E / K scene was in the early '90's. I don't know if anyone outside NY has ever heard of the whole Michael Alig / Angel case back in 1996, but James St. James, best friend to both, wrote it. It was mostly written in K-Hole form. Very, very cool book.

Dr E
I love to read, and the best book I have ever read was- Journey to the light side-. Sorry, I don't remember the author but you may be able to find on a search engine. It is not about rave culture or ecstasy, but is is worth reading. It is all about OBE on Ketamine (special K). Hope this helps.
The book -Altered State- that MT mentioned was written by Matthew Collin- LOVED IT!

These books have nothing to do with E, but I figure many of you would enjoy them - Chicken Soup For The Soul books kick ass!!!! You all think this board can get cheesy, well this is the cheese collection. I swear I've never had something affect my life the way these books have(Teenage Soul is by far the best) I highly advise any of you with a soft spot in your heart read these books!!!
------------------
If you can't change it - get over it. If you can - do!

what's up doctor, we have got to get you out of the house, what part of town are you living in? actually, maybe you could just send me an e-mail with you phone # and we could arrange some sort of meetup for this weekend.
back to the subject at hand. if you want to read some quasi-good info on e you could check out any of nicholas saunders' books. i had one called "ecstasy: dance, trance and transformation", but i returned it. most of his stuff has some pretty interesting anecdotes, but he isn't the most talented writer in the world
another great book that i'm into now is stephen hawking's "a brief history of time". some of the stuff in that book blows my mind more than any drug ever could. it's also kinda neat that some of the really advanced physics reminds me of thoughts i have had when i was high. who says drugs kill brain cells
smile.gif

another great book that isn't really about rave culture is tom wolfe's "the electric kool-aid acid test". i find some of the parallels between the rave scene and the hippy culture pretty interesting.
well, gimme a shout
smile.gif

Douglas Rushkoff's THe Ecstasy Club is really good, fiction about a group of kids who turn an abandoned warehouse in San Fran into a rave club. I've read Irvine Welsh's Ecstasy, the first two stories are really twisted and sick, but the third is a really accurate depiction of the rave scene and what it's like to be mid-late 20's and still partying, or just discovering it. The whole book is worth that one, so don't be put off by the first two. Welsh is pretty fucking hilaarious all the time, tho

"infinite jest" by david foster wallace.
polysyllabilic - 1000 pages incl footnotes.
dfw is genius - book ends before it begins.
about addiction -- main character to grass but others to substance of choice.
------------------